• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

hyper 212+ or V6GT?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nooster

ok, looking at PCU Cooling options for a i5-2500k.

both have realy great reviews and look good to boot, so its hard to decide .:shrug:

the choices are:

CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ CPU Cooler

or

CoolerMaster V6GT CPU Cooler

any thoughts on either?

i am leaning towards the V6GT, simply for the fact it looks awesome:attn:

then do it, the v6 has a better base, and more heat pipe and heat pipe logic.
the v6 will weigh in more, and measuring your space might be usefull.
instalation wont be as simple with v6, but worth it in the long run.
measure (i said that) you dont want to be stuck with it rotated wrong with a beam attachment and horizontal placement, for bench stations that wouldnt matter.
Whaaa? actually i am just looking at the pics and reviews, that is what i come up with.

No question, get the Hyper 212+. It's a more potent cooler and a great value. It's going to be on the inside of a box. What do you care what it looks like?

The only thing that I am concerned about with the v6 is the blocking of dimms. The board I have is
Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 And don't know how much it will block with this cooler. Is it safe to say only one dimm will be blocked?

The only thing that I am concerned about with the v6 is the blocking of dimms. The board I have is
Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 And don't know how much it will block with this cooler. Is it safe to say only one dimm will be blocked?

It would probably block it (slot clostest to CPU)

It would probably block it (slot clostest to CPU)

with the 212 (already higher) you can just raise the fan you stuff on, when you plop the fan on.
does the frame around the fan on the v6 prevent up/down moving of it? and could a bit of plastic be hacked off and move anyways?

on the 212 i actually did the opposite, i puts the fans low, which passed more air around the VRM sync, or i could also offset 2 , one up and one down by a little bit.

Last edited:
Both 212+ & V6GT are good in terms of their pricing. IMO V6GT looks cool compared to 212+ & performs almost the same. So V6GT has my opinion.

For a 2500k? I would go with a Thermalright MUX-120 instead of those 2 if you can find them in OZ. Performance should be within a fraction of a Ven-X or TRUE Rev C and better than a Megahalems and gives very good clearance to ram slots. It's basically the very same heatsink body as the Cogage True Spirit but comes with a very nice 1155 mount system and 2 sets of fan clips in case you want to set up a push-pull fan setup on it later.

EDIT: Found the MUX120 Black version right here, which is the upgraded version that has the same mounting hardware as the Venomous X and a nice nickel black finish and it's in the same price range as the V6GT.

Last edited:
I was looking at the mux but could not find any recomendations for it over the 212+ or the V6gt.
Not a bad looking hsf especially with the blackened look

I actually have one sitting at the house, waiting to be reviewed and have set it side by side to a True Spirit and aside from being finished prettier, it looks to be identical to the True Spirit. And I have tested the True Spirit and found it to be much superior to the Hyper 212+. I haven't tested the V6GT, but unless it performs substantially better than a 212+, it will also be left behind in performance. Plus, you should have less clearance problems with the MUX and your ram slots as it's not a wide heatsink. Finally, the mounting system included with it is first class stuff and is the same mount that Thermalright sells with the HR-02 and Venomous X and Silver Arrow heatsinks (their premium heatsink lines).

Hmmm... Might be worth looking at again thanks for the tip I'll let you know how it went when I install ( will be in the next week or so) 

ok so i have the MUX120 now, just a question with it. leave it as push, or change to push/pull?

how much difference in temps do you think it will be?

Push is best with one fan. You need more cooling or want to slow down the push fan for lower noise, add a pull. You need more, push/pull with new more powerful fans.

It's that simple.

Temp diff? Way to many variables. Wish people would understand that.

ok so i have the MUX120 now, just a question with it. leave it as push, or change to push/pull?

how much difference in temps do you think it will be?

Actually the temp difference between 1 and 2 fans on the MUX (or True Spirit, which is the same basic heatsink) is pretty minimal, maybe 1-2 C. At least that has been my experience with heatsinks such as the MUX120 and True Spirit. But I also haven't tried to check the cooling difference between 1 and 2 fans with a couple of low rpm, low cfm fans that turn under 1000 rpm either.

If price is a factor, then go with the 212+. If not go with the V6GT. I personally have a V6GT and it works WONDERFULLY and looks pretty awesome too. Personal opinion: V6GT if you care about looks, and it cools better by about 2-5 degrees depending, but, the 212+ is a VERY good deal for the quality. My friend has one and it keeps his 2500k very cool, and it actually looks a lot cooler in person then in pictures. One thing to be cautious about though is size. Both are very big, although I believe the V6GT is a bit bigger because of the plastic covering. One more thing that you should consider is the mounting. Both are pretty complex to mount, but the V6GT is a bit more tedious. I would recommend either to anybody in need of a good cooling solution. And once again make sure you MEASURE. If price is not an option, and you have enough space, I would definitely recommend the V6GT to you.

Sorry just realized you got the mux. But to answer one of your previous questions, the V6GT does in fact block one DIMM, however, it can still be used if you have low profile memory (no heat spreader). I can still use the one slot that the V6GT is over. If you are not happy with the mux, then the V6GT is a really good second option.

Back