• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

hyper 212+ or V6GT?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm having the same dilemma choosing between heatsinks. Just double checking, but would the MUX120 fit in my Antec 900 on my Asus P8P67 board? I want to start overclocking a little more but the stock cooler is just not that great for it.

Well first off, it's for 1156, so if you ever want to change cpus, then you'd also have to get a new cooler. And also, since you have the 2500k, which is an 1155 socket, it may be a bit tricky, although 1156 is compatible with 1155. The MUX is very tall as well. For your setup, you dont want to cheap out on cooling either. I may be bias, but i say go with the V6GT.

Well first off, it's for 1156, so if you ever want to change cpus, then you'd also have to get a new cooler. And also, since you have the 2500k, which is an 1155 socket, it may be a bit tricky, although 1156 is compatible with 1155. The MUX is very tall as well. For your setup, you dont want to cheap out on cooling either. I may be bias, but i say go with the V6GT.

Buddy, 1156 and 1155 use the same exact mounting pattern; no difference at all. And the MUX isn't any taller than your V6GT either. Your V6GT lists a height of 165mm. The MUX is listed at 160 mm tall, which is actually 5 mm shorter than the V6GT. The V6GT also looks to be pretty darned wide too and probably will have interference problems with the first ram slot if your ram has tall heatspreaders. Plus, if he decides to move to a different platform down the road, Thermalright has a proven track record of making new mounting kits for their heatsinks and most of their heatsinks use mounting equipment with commonality between them. As for cooling ability, I would bet that the MUX will hang with the V6GT, if not beat it. I haven't tested the V6GT, so I can't definitively say that, but that's my gut feeling. And that also comes from my experience with the heatsink it's based on, the True Spirit.

Buddy, 1156 and 1155 use the same exact mounting pattern; no difference at all. And the MUX isn't any taller than your V6GT either. Your V6GT lists a height of 165mm. The MUX is listed at 160 mm tall, which is actually 5 mm shorter than the V6GT. The V6GT also looks to be pretty darned wide too and probably will have interference problems with the first ram slot if your ram has tall heatspreaders. Plus, if he decides to move to a different platform down the road, Thermalright has a proven track record of making new mounting kits for their heatsinks and most of their heatsinks use mounting equipment with commonality between them. As for cooling ability, I would bet that the MUX will hang with the V6GT, if not beat it. I haven't tested the V6GT, so I can't definitively say that, but that's my gut feeling. And that also comes from my experience with the heatsink it's based on, the True Spirit.

couldn't agree more mud :):thup:

i will put some pics up of my pc in the new few days so you can see the MUX on the board.

its not hard to get new mounts for the cooler (one thing i have looked into prior) most HSF come with a varity of attachments for different sockets now days, so im not too concerned about it anyway.

this upgrade is the last i will be doing for the next 3-4 years, and by then there will be better options available, may even venture into water......:drool:

It will interfere with all standard height memory. I am using it in my daily driver and running single channel with my memory.

http://www.overclockers.com/cooler-master-v6gt/

100_5949.jpg

ok so MUX is installed, running Prime95. 4.53@ 1.334V.

temps are 28 deg Min and 60 degrees under full load :rock:

cupid.jpg

Push pull config. if you look at the photo you can see the DIMM is not blocked by the fan so i can use the other 2 DIMMS if i want. ram fits below the fan but JUST lol.

IMG_0821.jpg
IMG_0819.jpg

Back