• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I dont want a pagefile!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Dont see why you dont want it. Set it to very low if you want but I mean its not like you need harddrive space. Atleast I would think so since most people seem to have atleast 160gbs and only use like 50gbs. Any way I have heard of problams when you disable it.

Hmmz weird.

I have 2GB ram now (see sig)...and still when i decrease the pagefile to 128MB, XP starts nagging after awhile that it needs more.

To the point about fragmentation earlier, that's why I always set a separate partition (on a different drive if possible) and set it to 1.5x my memory. Don't let Windows manage the size if it on the same partition as your OS, it WILL get fragmented over time.

Sjaak I have heard some apps require vitrual memory to run. Though they can run on real memory for the most part certian programs are optimized to run in the background and on vitrual memory. I dont remember if this was ever provn though.

unless i'm mistaken, adobe requires a 200mb or greater pagefile to work. i have seen other applications want that too. right now i have way more than i really need. i'll be watching this thread to see when people come to a general consensus (if ever).

make sure to set the 'DisablePagineExecutive' in the registry, it will make the system faster with larger amounts of RAM.

This will do nothing for performance. Just about every tweak on the net will do nothing for performance.

Also just leave your pagefile System Managed and forget about it. There is no reason to mess around with it.

^^ you have virtual memory as has already been stated you CAN NOT disable / turn off the swap file / page file - it is not possible - a button may say it is off, but it is still there.

stratcatprowlin said:
My system is much quicker with no virtual memory but there is always the possibility of a problem once in a while though.

I've been running for years without swapfiles - Win98, Win2K, XP/Pro - and I've never encountered a problem. Not once. But I'm also not a big gamer. For what I do, I think it's the best approach, because Windows will page even when it doesn't really need to... But that's just my 2 cents worth.

Mr.Guvernment said:
^^ you have virtual memory as has already been stated you CAN NOT disable / turn off the swap file / page file - it is not possible - a button may say it is off, but it is still there.

Then why is the pagefile.sys file gone?

stratcatprowlin said:
My system is much quicker with no virtual memory but there is always the possibility of a problem once in a while though.

You cannot disable Virtual Memory. The pagefile and Virtual Memory are two different things. Stop mixing them up.

Inside Windows 2000, 3rd Edition
Windows 2000 implements a virtual memory system based on a flat (linear) 32bit address space. Thirty-two bits of address space translates into 4 GB of virtual memory. On most systems, Windows 2000 allocates half this address space (the lower half of the 4-GB virtual address space, from x00000000 through x7FFFFFFF) to processes for their unique private storage and uses the other half (the upper half, addresses x80000000 through xFFFFFFFF) for its own protected operating system memory utilization. The mappings of the lower half change to reflect the virtual address space of the currently executing process, but the mappings of the upper half always consist of the operating system's virtual memory. Windows 2000 Advanced Server and Datacenter Server support a boot-time option (the /3GB qualifier in Boot.ini) that gives processes running specially marked programs (the large address space aware flag must be set in the header of the executable image) a 3-GB private address space (leaving 1 GB for the operating system). This option allows applications such as database servers to keep larger portions of a database in the process address space, thus reducing the need to map subset views of the database. Figure 1-2 shows the two virtual address space layouts supported by Windows 2000.

As you can see the pagefile and VM are not the same thing. The swap file is what it was refered to in Windows 9x also.

From what I have heard Windows will create a small (~20MB) pagefile when one is not found. I am not 100% sure about this though.

Ok I'm not arguing but how do you explain the boost in responsiveness?
It's not just in my head

Short term events may show an increase, but you are hurting yourself in the long run since all private data has to stay in RAM.

stratcatprowlin said:
Ok I'm not arguing but how do you explain the boost in responsiveness?
It's not just in my head ;)

Benchmarks then? I know you have benchmarks if you said it's not in your head, cuz the confirmation bias is in your head. Not trying to be rude, but I'm curious as to see if anyone can show a boost in something other than it "feels" or "seems" faster

Back