• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I enabled ACC, and need help please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Otery

Hey,
I have a Republic of Gamers (ROG) Crosshair III Formula Motherboard with a AMD Phenom II X4 945 chipset.
Everytime I boot it I get a message: Press 4 to enable ACC. Yesterday I clicked 4 while booting by a mistake, and the computer rebooted and I got a message: 4 cores activated!
After this my computer have started acting wierd, it's getting slower, and got trouble opening programs etc.
I don't know if there's any way to make it more stable/good again, or if I have to disable the ACC function?
And HOW do I even disable the ACC function? I can't seem to find any place to do it.
I hope you will/can help me, and thanks alot!!!
Much appreciated :)

Thanks alot, I'm just a bit worried if I lose some data or delete stuff on my HDD when I reset the CMOS? I've never done it :)
And besides that, can you tell me how to reset the CMOS?
Thanks alot! And sorry for being so noobish :(

It's just moving the jumper and pressing clr CMOS I guess?

Actually on page 3-23 of the manual it shows CPU Configuration on the Advanced tab of BIOS. Go to that and hit Enter and you should get a page where you can disable ACC. Otherwise reset CMOS. The manual should tell you how to do that (each board is different). You will not lose anything from the hard drive. But maybe you can just disable it in BIOS without having to do the CMOS reset.

The Phenom II CPUs have built in ACC. ACC was originally designed for Phenom I CPUs to make them more stable when overclocked. It was incidentally discovered that ACC also allowed some Phenom II X2 and X3 CPUs to be "unlocked" so that the disabled cores were activated and they became X4 CPUs. In your case, ACC enabling would have no benefit and may even cause (as you have discovered) instability.

Thanks for the explanation on how to do it, I just did it and now it works perfect again! :)
And thanks for the reply on what it actually is and why it caused instability, good to know what it is :) much appreciated both of you!

ACC shouldn't have caused that so I'm wondering if it happens again, it may be something else. Other than that, glad you got it worked out.

Thanks alot, I'm just a bit worried if I lose some data or delete stuff on my HDD when I reset the CMOS? I've never done it :)
And besides that, can you tell me how to reset the CMOS?
Thanks alot! And sorry for being so noobish :(

you don't lose data on the HDD from a cmos reset, and you're lucky you have a board thats really easy to reset, turn it off and push the button on back of the pc, got to love it.

Yeah, resetting the cmos with the jumper close to the battery is easy. Like others said, just make sure you turn the PSU off before you do and before you turn the power back on make sure you move the jumper back to pins 1-2 (default) from pins 2-3 (reset position).

Thanks a lot for all your answers!
I'm just wondering if it is nessecary for me to move the jumper back to its original position? Because I moved it months ago and never moved it back.

Yes I am 100 per cent sure I moved the correct jumper since I were able to reset my CMOS and because I followed the manual on this one :)

Thanks a lot for all your answers!
I'm just wondering if it is nessecary for me to move the jumper back to its original position? Because I moved it months ago and never moved it back.

Definitely! I said that in my post (#11). That could be responsible for the problems you have been having all along. If you leave the jumper in the clear position it often fatally corrupts the cmos.

You may have followed the manual's instructions to clear the cmos correctly but you must not have read it all that carefully because I'm sure it tells you to replace the jumper in the original position before powering back up.

Back