• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I have a high speed delta fan. How do i use it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mas5acre

I have 3 wires hanging off my delta not a normal 3pin hookup thing. Ive had this fan forever and have recently decided i might try to use it.

You'd have to put pins and a connector on it. You can get tools to do it yourself.

You'd have to put pins and a connector on it. You can get tools to do it yourself.

how and where can i get tools? is it even worth it? Or should i just buy a normal high speed fan? Will i need a special fan controller than my current one?

Its a sythe 3.5 bay fan controller.

List up the model number on the fan. It should be on the back side of the hub of the blades. Once we know the model we can tell you more about it. Also, if it lists any amps or watts numbers, post them too.

EDIT: As for the connectors, you can buy the stuff right here.

make sure you learn how to crimp before attempting this, if you've never crimped anything before it can be a bit tricky, and unlike many other things you crimp, the fan cables are rather limited in length.

I just use a pair of needlenose pliers to bend the tabs over, then solder them to the wires myself. Makes for a nice, secure connection. Plus that way I don't have to buy a crimper. :D

I just use a pair of needlenose pliers to bend the tabs over, then solder them to the wires myself. Makes for a nice, secure connection. Plus that way I don't have to buy a crimper. :D

pshaw...that's crazy...but yea, that'll work I suppose. I've never done fans before, primarily just cat5/cat5e/cat6 and some other assorted non-ethernet stuffs...

make sure you learn how to crimp before attempting this, if you've never crimped anything before it can be a bit tricky, and unlike many other things you crimp, the fan cables are rather limited in length.
I don't quite understand how you can crimp something wrong. If you do it wrong, the pin just doesn't stay on the wire, so the length shouldn't matter. >.>

I don't quite understand how you can crimp something wrong. If you do it wrong, the pin just doesn't stay on the wire, so the length shouldn't matter. >.>

I screwed up a couple learning where some pins stayed in and some didn't because of poor length cuts and sloppiness on my part, which led to having to just cut the connector and start over...that said, never done fans, so I don't know what to expect there

It is extremely easy once you get it down. It has been a long time since I did my first one, but I don't remember it being difficult.

It is extremely easy once you get it down. It has been a long time since I did my first one, but I don't remember it being difficult.

not at all difficult, but there's also the fact that op may or may not have ever crimped before, so the expectation that he might mess up is not entirely unfounded. I agree, it's not a difficult skill to learn, but if done wrong, it can be messed up...I just sorta take the better safe than sorry approach with this sorta thing

needle nose and solder is the poormans way of doing it right ;) works really well, in fact, a solder joint probably has better odds of being good than a poor crimp job. that said, the correct crip tool (expensive) and its really easy to get it right, much faster than soldering :) third option is buying a premade 'fan lead' with the connector and 3 wires, then you only need to solder wire to wire, with some shrink wrap around it ;)

Do yourself a favor and buy a fan guard for the intake.
High speed high power fans will take the end of your finger off if you let 'em.

Do yourself a favor and buy a fan guard for the intake.
High speed high power fans will take the end of your finger off if you let 'em.
Oy, don't remind me. I ran Ultra High Speed Panaflo fans (Thick/powerful 38mm fans) on my radiators, when I did water cooling. I ran 5 of them (3 on the back side, 2 on the side facing the case) and didn't think I needed to have fan guards on the ones facing the case. Since they were pushing through the radiator (away from the system), they were completely open and very sharp. I was working on the system (don't remember what I was doing) and my finger slipped into the fan. Cut it right down to the bone. That was lovely. Got to paint my case that day. Although, the red didn't look good on black.

Bottom line. Fan guards.

delta is model no. ffb0912sh

That is this fan here. I can tell you a few things about it. To start with, it is gonna be loud as hell at 12 volts. If you run it with a 7 volt mod on it (tapping into the +12v and +5v lines) it should be quieter but still noticeable. And I wouldn't run it off a motherboard header as it draws over 8 watts at running state and surge will probably be around 11-12 watts starting draw. So if you decide to use it, I would set it up on a 4 pin moles connector (red to +12v and black to neutral) and use a separate connector with a 3 pin connector to monitor rpm (blue or yellow wire on the 3 pin connector).

And the caution about the finger guard is very advisable. :D

I bought it originally for my Thermalright HR-03 GT to cool a radeon 5870.

I also bought a thermalright vrm-r4, for it i bought a panaflo fan with model no. NMB-MAT. I never actually installed the coolers. Mostly because of spacing. I think I might have changed my mind and might use 'em. I keep seeing those pcie ribbon extention cable things and would help fix the dilemna of taking up too much room with the coolers. Otherwise without one I'd have to lose my xonar essence stx soundcard.

DO NOT USE A DELTA WITH THAT CONTROLLER it will just burn it out. trust me i done it. lamptron fc-2 will handle it. :) and that will allow you to slow it right down so you can't even hear the thing. again trust me i tried it. and still use it. except i use 120mm deltas now :)

Might be slightly too late, as the last post in this thread was about a year and a half ago.
It is good to know though. It is worth noting that Delta makes a lot of 120mm fans, they range from quite mild all the way up to screamers.

Back