• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need to block TORRENTS! Port ranges?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I know its bs, he doesn't pay for the internet, its under my name, and I'm splitting it with 3 other people (my cousin and her fiance who happens to me one of my friends I graduated with), and my cousins fiance asked if his brother could stay here and he will help pay rent. Well he only pays like 50 bucks a month to me and the other 2 people.

So the situation is, they are both brothers, i'm friends with both of them which makes me hard to be a d*ck. Trust me if he wasn't a friend of mine I would have already just told him, guess what your not paying for the internet, I'm blocking your sh*t, have a nice day. I would then proceed to suplex him into his mac laptop.

I told him that you are killing the internet for all of us and your not paying for any of it so chill and cap the upload. I"m not saying to stop, just to cap it. Well then the other brother said, but I want my game.

So the only reason the other guy is cool with us not having internet is because he thinks hes getting an xbox game out of this and its a 10 gig game! They must be both mentally challenged because obviously having no internet is not going to help the download out.

Once the game is done downloading I think this is all going to stop because the brother who wants the xbox game is a huge WoW addict. He's also a healer, and during raids if he disconnects he will flip sh*t. Right now he isn't because he knows he's getting somthing out of it.

Thank god this is my last semester.

What helped is I restrict both ports and ip addresses on the router firewall and I also set up bittorrent ports to block even though that probably doesn't help. I can't play any games though so that kind of sucks but at least I can do my school work.

He trys to go into the firmware and when he is going in I hurry up and change everything back, so he doesn't know the difference lol. Then when he goes back to playing xbox I change it back to it blocking him.

I did, it isn't my router tho, so he just asks his brother, and when it doesn't work for his brother he just totally resests the whole router's firmware so it defaults back to admin/admin

Then tell your friend that he needs to make his brother realize that he doesn't own the internet connection. At some point, somebody needs to throw that in his face, and make him realize that there are limits. If nobody makes this blatantly obvious to him, he'll never stop. Sometimes, tolerance must be ended.

At some point you just have to confront the guy instead of sneakily altering the router's settings. How about showing him your post? Surely that would convince him that this is important to you.

Tell him to use a different site then. I've gotten over 800gb of data (linux distros, freeware and the sort ;)) and I've used somewhere between a 20kbps and 40kbps upload cap almost the entire time.

You can also make like a tank on his computer. Screwdrive the internet port and offer him a NIC if he stops torrenting altogether.

When he was out, I checked out what program he is using, (He's on a mac) and it looks like a standard bit torrent cilent. Like its not even a good program, all its features it has is, upload/download rate. Does anyone know if the stand alone bit torrent client randomizes its port it uses? Most of the software actualy will say this but this one looks so simplistic that it makes me think I can just simply block it if I find the right ports it uses.

I have in the past, he says ITS THE TITS.

When he was out, I checked out what program he is using, (He's on a mac) and it looks like a standard bit torrent cilent. Like its not even a good program, all its features it has is, upload/download rate. Does anyone know if the stand alone bit torrent client randomizes its port it uses? Most of the software actualy will say this but this one looks so simplistic that it makes me think I can just simply block it if I find the right ports it uses.

I have in the past, he says ITS THE TITS.

Is this the one he's using?

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/19378/transmission

If so, it just 'looks' simple. ;) It's actually a very good one.

Others he might be using are:
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/14258/tomato-torrent
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/11869/bittorrent
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/13635/vuze
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/29824/%B5torrent
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/25104/lh-abc
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/6474/limewire-x

The really sad part is if he is using Transmission, setting bandwidth limiters is incredibly easy. Would take less than 2 seconds and despite what he's saying, would not effect his ratio at all. Not to mention, he could set the time of day the torrent runs more bandwidth when everyone else is not using it, and less when others need to use the net. Sounds to me like he's just being a jerk.

When he's not looking, check out what one he's using. Maybe we can walk you through the settings so you can change them and he won't notice. ;) Either that, or pull the plug like you should have at the first sign of trouble. Lol. :D

Check in the preferences and see what Network Peer listening port he's using. It may be set to automatically map the port by NAT-PMP or UPnP, which may be getting around your router port settings.

- Blackstar

Is this the one he's using?

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/19378/transmission

If so, it just 'looks' simple. ;) It's actually a very good one.

Check in the preferences and see what Network Peer listening port he's using. It may be set to automatically map the port by NAT-PMP or UPnP, which may be getting around your router port settings.

- Blackstar

Thats the one! The first link you posted, thats exactly what it looked like!

Not surprising that someone who would steal software is also a jerk to someone nice enough to let him stay there practically rent-free.. I say boot the creep, problem solved.

I can solve your problem right now.
Step 1: Unplug the cat5 cable from the router wan port.
Step 2: Plug the cat5 cable into the correct connector on the back of your PC.
Step 3: Laugh your butt off over all your new found bandwidth.

wtf, my ISP is messed, i had posted back!

i say buy a router, you pay for the inet, buy your own router and tell them if they touch it they die

and if they do, when you need internet run your computer directly to the modem, they complain, tell them too bad, shoove it!

Thats the one! The first link you posted, thats exactly what it looked like!

OK, two things you can do.

One, when he's away, go to his Mac, select the Transmission application. (either the window itself, or in the dock)

When it's selected you'll see the name in the upper left hand of the screen.

Click on the name and you'll see 'Preferences' click that and you should see something like this:

transmission_001.jpg

Third tab in, is the bandwidth. You can limit the max bandwidth of the whole application (all torrents) Limit at specific times of the day, or set slow mode to limit them on demand.

Other (more sneaky thing) is to select the torrent itself (double click) and you'll see a new window like this:

transmission_002.jpg

The last tab with the gear icon will show you this view. Here you can limit the bandwidth of the specific torrent. (A little harder to find too.) ;) And you can set it to whatever you want, up or down, and at what ratio to kill it.

Personally, I'm with the others. Rip out the wire and save yourself the trouble. What's he going to do, beat you up? :santa:

- Blackstar

im not sure this is very legal, using someone's computer without their permission.. changing settings... this might be an issue all in itself

im not sure this is very legal, using someone's computer without their permission.. changing settings... this might be an issue all in itself

It's already been mentioned that the creep is downloading an Xbox game.. What's he gonna do, call the police?

It's already been mentioned that the creep is downloading an Xbox game.. What's he gonna do, call the police?

I don't think thats the point really. I mean yeah, what HE is doing is illegal, but using someone's crap without permission is not right either. You don't fight crime with crime. I'm sure there are better ways to deal with this.

Besides, its probably against the forum rules.

ther better ways didnt work, this free loader does not care for others, isnt it illegal to use someone elses internet with your own router and reset it when you want?

as the bill payer of the interne, if anything happens, it is coming to YOU, not him, YOU, since your name is on everything, it is your butt up for grabs, so put your foot down, get him tell him, when he cries, go tell his brother and get everyone to sit down and sort it out, either they get their own internet connection or theystart paying some of the bill, to which you then get your OWN router, and use QOS to share the connection based on what they pay.

Im not arguing that. I'm arguing that

A) This is potentially against the law which leads to the fact that
B) its probably not allowed on this board

Thats what im saying.

I'm sure there are better ways to deal with this.

as others mentioned getting to a house talk would be the first step, however, most people will say in their heads "screw him, i'll do whatever i want"

it all boils down to the payee' of the service to drop the kebash on his activities if he's disturbing valuable school time (research etc on the net) then that imo is a HUGE issue no and's if's or butts.

what techno may be able do do is rent out his own modem and i think pay for service this way to get his requirements? i'm not sure how cable co's treat a 2nd modem

Back