• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need to block TORRENTS! Port ranges?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If we're going to boil this down the legal issues then the way I see it is:

1. the internet connection is in the OP's name. That makes the OP legally responsible for what happens on it.

2. the OP's roomie is downloading illegally.

OP, if you aren't going to step up to the plate and put an end to the downloads then I suggest you call up your ISP and have the connection terminated. If not there's a chance you'll get caught, and if that happens you'll be blacklisted and the connection will be terminated anyway.

It is in everyone's best interest for you to get this under control, and there have been several good suggestions on how to do so.

Well we had a group meeting and i'm not sure if its because the 10 gig Xbox game got done downloading yesterday or because he's actually listening but the Internet has been fine and dandy! But thanks everyone for the help! I learned quite a bit about the routers software during this discussion.

Well we had a group meeting and i'm not sure if its because the 10 gig Xbox game got done downloading yesterday or because he's actually listening but the Internet has been fine and dandy! But thanks everyone for the help! I learned quite a bit about the routers software during this discussion.

Glad it's working out. ;)

- Blackstar

He's like well I need to keep a high upload ratio or they will kick me from their site.

Unfortunately, some servers will punish you for downloading lesser. :(

->Some servers will kick you off for downloading less. :(

*Cough cough* some DC servers. One punished me for not wanting to pretty much share the entire HDD. And thus pretty much opening my PC to crackers. LOL.

But, I still feel your pain about the router being hogged.

Try this:

Block everything except for port 53 and port 80.

Last edited:
problem is, anything get's blocks, the pirate's brother comes and resets the router.

personally, if i wasnt good friend with this person and they simply never listened, i would report the person, tell them you recently saw your internet was very slow so you monitored YOUR connection and found somone was downloading illegal content :) Sure MS would love to know the person has pirated games :)

I know its bs, he doesn't pay for the internet, its under my name, and I'm splitting it with 3 other people (my cousin and her fiance who happens to me one of my friends I graduated with), and my cousins fiance asked if his brother could stay here and he will help pay rent. Well he only pays like 50 bucks a month to me and the other 2 people.

So the situation is, they are both brothers, i'm friends with both of them which makes me hard to be a d*ck. Trust me if he wasn't a friend of mine I would have already just told him, guess what your not paying for the internet, I'm blocking your sh*t, have a nice day. I would then proceed to suplex him into his mac laptop.

I told him that you are killing the internet for all of us and your not paying for any of it so chill and cap the upload. I"m not saying to stop, just to cap it. Well then the other brother said, but I want my game.

So the only reason the other guy is cool with us not having internet is because he thinks hes getting an xbox game out of this and its a 10 gig game! They must be both mentally challenged because obviously having no internet is not going to help the download out.

Once the game is done downloading I think this is all going to stop because the brother who wants the xbox game is a huge WoW addict. He's also a healer, and during raids if he disconnects he will flip sh*t. Right now he isn't because he knows he's getting somthing out of it.

Thank god this is my last semester.

What helped is I restrict both ports and ip addresses on the router firewall and I also set up bittorrent ports to block even though that probably doesn't help. I can't play any games though so that kind of sucks but at least I can do my school work.

He trys to go into the firmware and when he is going in I hurry up and change everything back, so he doesn't know the difference lol. Then when he goes back to playing xbox I change it back to it blocking him.

your gonna give yourself grey hairs and mental stress. its far easier and less stressful to sort them both out and tell them whats what. tell him to stop being such a tight arse and go rent a game at least. and let you do your homework or they can move out lol

Back