• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I thought the R600 was supose to kill 8800gtx

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
rainless said:
That's a bit of a stretch. It BARELY outperforms the 8800GTS, which means it is not even close to a direct competitor to the 8800GTX.

And here's the link! Thanks AVG :beer:

EDIT: Not the link I was expecting, but whatever... I like links :)

http://www.dailytech.com/ATI+Radeon+HD+2900+XT+Performance+Benchmarks/article7043.htm

The preformance isn't horrible. Its either even or vastly accells past the 8800GTS in this test. But just from the look of it theres a HUGE issue with some of the scores. Looking some of them they are WELL below what they should be for either card.

deathman20 said:
http://www.dailytech.com/ATI+Radeon+HD+2900+XT+Performance+Benchmarks/article7043.htm

The preformance isn't horrible. Its either even or vastly accells past the 8800GTS in this test. But just from the look of it theres a HUGE issue with some of the scores. Looking some of them they are WELL below what they should be for either card.

Yeah? Well until there are more benchmarks/reviews I still don't see how you can validate your statement that it's "nearly a direct competitor for the 8800GTX."

To be honest I can't see how the 512MB x2900XT can be competitive with a 8800GTX which has 768MB of Ram, unless it is far more efficient. As Rainless said we just cannot tell yet.

Edit: Although, the x2900 has a 512bit memory bus as opposed to nVidia's 384bit bus doesn't it?

Last edited:
rainless said:
Yeah? Well until there are more benchmarks/reviews I still don't see how you can validate your statement that it's "nearly a direct competitor for the 8800GTX."

Well I did say nearly, didn't say exact competitor. I think it will ride between the 2 cards from nVidia but still closer to the GTX than the GTS.

Neural Net said:
To be honest I can't see how the 512MB x2900XT can be competitive with a 8800GTX which has 768MB of Ram, unless it is far more efficient. As Rainless said we just cannot tell yet.

Edit: Although, the x2900 has a 512bit memory bus as opposed to nVidia's 384bit bus doesn't it?

Video memory is a question. While more can't hurt and surely some games are using nearly the full 512megs currently I think that will hurt the 2900XT. The higher bus speed will help with AA, AF, HDR, and any other calculations that can use the ram. Who knows with the fast bus maybe it will offset the larger memory.

Really the test will be a DX10 game or something. Definatly more tests will need to be done but I have a feeling its going to end closer to a GTX preformance than a GTS. Quote me if you want and show me wrong when it happens but thats just my feelings.

I'm not saying you're wrong at all, I just believe any comparison of these cards for the moment is essentially meaningless as they are not Direct x10 games. It will be very interesting to see how nVidia's and ATi's offerings run Crysis, and to grasp how much a benefit DX10 is as a gaming platform.

Isn't Halo 2 coming to PC in the next month? That will be at least be a DX10 benchmark that can be used to compare the G80 to the R600 beyond DX9 stuff we have now. I'm patiently waiting for more benchmarks (and of course the R600 launch as well).

Hipcrostino said:
Everyone seems to forget that the R600 core is designed closer to the specifications of the DX10 Standard set out my M$. nVidia went out and did there own thing which would work for both DX10 and DX9 using unified shaders and such. From what i know that means the R600 has more driver overhead when running DX9, so the fact it performs as well as the 8800's is pretty amazing considering the DX9 API has to be converted to DX10 before rendering which dosn't need to happen quite so much with nVidia cards.

What dose all I've said mean? Well it means that theretically (and only that at this stage) the R600 should whip the pants off the 8800's in DX10 mode...

but only time will tell. Anyway, if i'm wrong about what i've said (its its likally i am) i'd like someone to put it straight for my benifit as much as everyone elses.

I've seen this (mis)information thrown about NVs supposed non-DX10 compliance but never seen anything solid on it from a reputable news site. NV did intentionally throw out misinformation that the G8* would not be unified architecture but it turns out it was. I believe the big review sites definitely would have delved deep enough to find this information out and report it, that's why I think it's just a perpetuated bit of misinformation which just never dies. 'I read it on a forum (or the Inq lol)' and it ends up being Internet urban legend.

If you have any reputable sources which continued to report this after the G80 release I'd be interested to read them.

Considering that the AMD/ATI card is 7 months past due, these benchmarks are not so convincing. Moreover, we have no idea how far the ATI card will OC, and I know that my 8800 GTS @ 650/2000MHz is much faster than stock, this is especially pronounced in new titles and at high resolutions.

tranceaddict said:
Considering that the AMD/ATI card is 7 months past due, these benchmarks are not so convincing. Moreover, we have no idea how far the ATI card will OC, and I know that my 8800 GTS @ 650/2000MHz is much faster than stock, this is especially pronounced in new titles and at high resolutions.

I think it'll OC well, since the XT is running @ 650mhz IIRC, and the XTX will supposedly run @ 800mhz. So I think there's some wide room left.

dan

boonmar said:
but why are they comparing it to 8800gts????

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=7043

Comparing the 2900XT against an 8800GTS shows just how incredibly stupid the folks at DailyTech are.
You can buy an 8800GTS all day long for under $390 right now. They will be a lot lower in 3 weeks when
the 2900XT's are finally able to be purchased.

Come 2900XT release/availability day the 8800GTX's will drop to the price point of the 2900XT as that is
the competition for it. There is no reason in the world for NV to drop the 8800GTX prices before then.

Viper

largon said:
Dan0512,
XT = 80nm
XTX = 65nm (?)

That would be a likely cause of speed bump for the XTX.

Yep and that is why the XTX was pushed out till at least July. The die shrink was a disaster but that isn't
abnormal for a first spin at a new process size.

Viper

Back