• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I thought the R600 was supose to kill 8800gtx

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Neural Net said:
I call BS on those benchmarks of the XTX, they are too close to the XT.

Looks like the XTX is limited by the GPU and not memory bandwidth, which would support those numbers.

I very much doubt the difference between the two GPU speeds is as little as 5Mhz. Besides, lets hold the remarks for now seeing as none of these cards are being used to their designed potential yet. We're going to have to wait until Crysis is available.

I question how they got 98+ FPS on Oblivion at 1920x1200 for the 8800GTX. If the GTX can actually perform that well (don't recall other benchmarks that high) then these things will look very nice once a price drop hits. Do you have any comment on the GTX scores Viper?

Aren't these cards essentially engineering samples with newly released drivers? I would assume we'd see a little bit of improvement down the road, but it's hard to tell what sort of difference it'll make. I still think I'm waiting for some better review than that DT has supplied.

The other strange, or interesting, thing is that they did do some overclocking tests an oc'ing did not have a very big impact impact for the R600 except for 3DM.

Burdman27911 said:
I question how they got 98+ FPS on Oblivion at 1920x1200 for the 8800GTX. If the GTX can actually perform that well (don't recall other benchmarks that high) then these things will look very nice once a price drop hits. Do you have any comment on the GTX scores Viper?

The 8800GTX there is not a standard version (575 core / 900 Mhz memory) - it's an overclocked model. I think with that test setup, 98FPS is possible. But 98 FPS average, including substantial outdoor scenes? I doubt it.

Either way its not looking good at all for the 2900XT model now that real benches are coming out at least for the DX9 area. DX10 is to be scene but the people that have waited including me this is a sad day either way you look at it with a 32-47% gap between the 2900XT and 8800GTX, over clock or not on the 8800GTX that sucks.

Will have to wait and see on more tests but looks like for the first time in 5 years im highly considering an nVidia card again.

It is too soon to call yet. I say any tests carried out at the moment are fairly inaccurate.

Neural Net said:
It is too soon to call yet. I say any tests carried out at the moment are fairly inaccurate.

Agree. And if its true about them pushing the release date to Next week Tuesday well we'll see more results sooner than later.

What's this I hear? The release date could be less than a week away? That would be a very nice surprise. Maybe we'll get some conclusive results by then.

Burdman27911 said:
What's this I hear? The release date could be less than a week away? That would be a very nice surprise. Maybe we'll get some conclusive results by then.

Well forgot where it was but someone said May 1st. Now I can't find the article on it. Fudzilla is saying the 14th still.

As ViperJohn said in a different post I believe, the R600 isn't even meant to compete with the 8800 series. Hell, the 8800 is already 6 months old. NV has their next gen in the wings already and posibly already working on a re spin of that as well. ATI is so far behind and so cash strapped that they nedd to get this card out, flaws and all. I often wondered and even posted in another thread why they crippled it with 16 rop's to the NV cards 32 with les shader units. The R600 will not beat out the 8800GTX, and if it does, expect a quick and decisive answer from NV with the 8900 cards. The 8800 Ultra is their gimmick card. They have done it before. It's a card released to sell to all the gotta have it now buyers and enthusiasts, the same people who will immediately put LN2 on it for benches. R600 is a flop as far as release and marketing. The only reason they are even letting it out is they need a flagship for the midrange. If you consider a new release competing with a 6 month old release more power to you. People who didn't wait got the better of the deal, and if this is a dx 10 screamer, then the 8800 is a winner as there are no dx 10 games yet and you had 6 months of killer dx9 gaming plus dx10 possibilities as well as the undiscosed r600 killer in the 8900 or 9xxx series that is undoubtedly done or near done with all the time they had. I doubt NV was sitting there doing nothing and they are not selling their boddies on the corner to raise cash like dammit is.

Like I mentioned, I posted this in other threads in various forums. ATi can't possibly have a good reason for this other than their architecture is limited and in need of a complete overhal n that reapect. Nv has twice as many leading me to believe its starved in this area and is the factor limiting the effectivness of the stream processors. The dev's must have known this would have a massive impact on overall performance as Nv has twice as many for 1/ the amount of shaders. This would be especially true in the XTX where the memory would need these rops to accomodate the ability to fill the added memory with the info needed. Its like a cpu with a FSB of 200 when it needs 1066, denying it the ability to fill the memory with the info for the shaders to access. A major screw up IMHO.

MadMan007 said:
I've seen this (mis)information thrown about NVs supposed non-DX10 compliance but never seen anything solid on it from a reputable news site. NV did intentionally throw out misinformation that the G8* would not be unified architecture but it turns out it was. I believe the big review sites definitely would have delved deep enough to find this information out and report it, that's why I think it's just a perpetuated bit of misinformation which just never dies. 'I read it on a forum (or the Inq lol)' and it ends up being Internet urban legend.

If you have any reputable sources which continued to report this after the G80 release I'd be interested to read them.

I don't have any reputable sources. I'm glad to hear this is just BS thats been flying around. That said i think we should still hold off on our final judgments untill the two card seris are pitted against each other in DX10.

Hipcrostino said:
That said i think we should still hold off on our final judgments until the two card series are pitted against each other in DX10.

The 8x00 NV and the 2900 ATI cards will be old news and models by the time their is something DX10 to
run on them. Crysis will probably be the first game out and that is still several months away.

Viper

Last edited:
ViperJohn said:
The 8x00 NV and the 2900 ATI cards will be old news and models by the time their is something DX10 to
run on them. Crysis will probably be the first game out and that is still
several months away.

Viper
Your probably right but these current dx 10 cards should still perform well in dx10 and it's not looking good for ATI.

Back