• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I Used to be A Gamer Like You, then ...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Adak

Arrow to the knee.PNG

I found out about a great folding race for charity, and team bragging rights!

One Team

One Race

One Chance for Glory

"It's not life or death - it's more important than that"

It's the annual Chimp Challenge Race to benefit Stanford University's Folding@Home research project.

Fun is mandatory! :p
77bbbStarts: Saturday, April 13th, at Noon, Pacific Daylight Savings Time (-7 UTC)

777Finishes: Tuesday, April 23rd, at Noon

NO folding name change required - fold for Team 32, and you're racing with us!

Updates throughout the race, etc. Sign ups (to get us into the spirit) and more info are here:

announcement: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=729919
333333sign up: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=729988

See you there! :thup: :D :thup:

@goose90proof:
Last year I created the start of a "Legends of the Night Archers" story, where if you wanted to catch the next part of it, you needed to come down into the folding forum and post up.

I challenge you to put up a better recruiting post for the race!

Thanks, Angry! :clap:

Hah! I am a story teller now. Do you think you could find that post? I might be able to write a spiritual successor to the previous storyline. Might make up something completely new. We'll see...

The format is... "I used to be a(n) X like you, but then I took a(n) Y to the Z."

Why does anything become a meme? There have actually been research papers on the subject. Meme is just a recent coinage for an idea that has essentially always existed. It actually comes from the latin 'mīmēma', which is translated into 'imitated thing'. There are memes all around you. Not just the internet, although the web is where they most often breed; naturally, of course, because it's the easiest, fastest way to quickly share information, ideas, media.

Are you a spiderman fan? Did you ever go around as a kid and pantomime shooting webs at your parents? Perhaps you think that is odd... well I did! That behaviour would be described as memetic. I learned it from watching spiderman and reading spiderman comic books. I emulated it. Other kids did it. The behaviour itself was a meme. This is just one anecdotal example of memes. I'm sure you can think of some in your own life.

Last edited:
@op:

SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM!
1042929854_eswaitress.jpg

Back