• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I want to stick two fans together

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
how about using zip ties like ropes and suspending the fans in your case like 1/4" from the vent and using electrical tape or something to close that gap. How can it vibrate if it isnt touching anything? :)

just an idea. a crazy senseless one, but still an idea.

btw im bored. :), so heres a really crude drawing of that idea.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v330/Helgaiden/idea.jpg

Hahahaha, that's a cool idea, and should be optimal for minimizing any vibration noise! I might actually try that if I can't think of anything better, thanks man, haha! :)

P.S. Is there a type of putty that can serve as an adhesive also?

those specs look right....arn't stealths 22db and push 20cfm? 22-27db is a very small increase compared to say 27-30db Both are silent and the top motor pushes more

These are the specs for the Vantec Stealth line. They all have double ball bearings. Mine are the 80mm ones:

60x60x25mm
12 CFM
20 dBA
2600 RPM

80x80x25mm
27 CFM
21 dBA
2050 RPM

92x92x25mm
28 CFM
20 dBA
1750 RPM

120x120x25mm
53 CFM
28 dBA
1500 RPM

So, in order to equal the performance of my 80mm stealths, I'd have to get the medium-speed Top-Motor fan which would be 10dB louder. To outperform the Stealths, I have to get the high-speed one which is 15dB louder.

There are som double sided foam tapes out there. 3M makes one type AFAIK. Great stuff, soft yet very strong mounting.

But it's not easily removable... Maybe you could "shim it" in a way? Make a frame for each fan to screw into, then connect the two frames with foram tape? Removable and noise reducing? Maybe?

Veland said:
There are som double sided foam tapes out there. 3M makes one type AFAIK. Great stuff, soft yet very strong mounting.

But it's not easily removable... Maybe you could "shim it" in a way? Make a frame for each fan to screw into, then connect the two frames with foram tape? Removable and noise reducing? Maybe?
Very interesting, I like that! I'm gonna try it out! The contact surfaces are going to be pretty small, so I think in the end maybe the 3M tape won't be so hard to remove. If I double or triple the layers, then it should be thick enough too. Thanks! :)

Edit: Bingo!

Last edited:
Let me get this straight your mounting 2 fans to a radiator for your comp? Have you thought about the mounting kits they make for aftermarket electric car fans? You could trim the mounting bases smaller to fit your needs. They go straight thru the radiator with pads on either side to stop vibrations. If they are strong enough to hold the 16" fan on my car without moving they should be plenty for a comp .

GV2NIX said:
Very interesting, I like that! I'm gonna try it out! The contact surfaces are going to be pretty small, so I think in the end maybe the 3M tape won't be so hard to remove. If I double or triple the layers, then it should be thick enough too. Thanks! :)

Edit: Bingo!

I've used such tape. With such a small contact area, it probably won't hold the fan at all...

Haha, I'll make multiple attempts. I'm going to head out to the hardware store this weekend and get some double-sided foam tape and some mounting hardware for electric fans. I'll keep you guys updated on how it works out. :)

Haha, I'll make multiple attempts. I'm going to head out to the hardware store this weekend and get some double-sided foam tape and some mounting hardware for electric fans. I'll keep you guys updated on how it works out.

Liquid silicone! :)

FYI, I have used electrical tape for fan silencing...it SUCKED....even 7 layers of electrical tape still passed some vibration through

Waiting for my double-sided foam tape, I think it should arrive tomorrow! In the meantime, I've been fiddling with the "suspended fan technique." It seems to work great for my blowhole fan since it can just hang there blowing upwards, but for the front intake, it gets a little tricky. I think I made the strings too tight, because it's clearly transferring vibration to the case (pretty efficiently actually, haha), so I'm gonna wait till I get the double sided foam before I keep trying. My cam is down at the moment, I'll take some pics after I've come up with something that works! :)

Ok, the double sided foam tape is working the best. It's surprising how strong the bond is even with such a small contact patch! I'll post pics when I can, but I'm gonna go with the foam tape. Maybe I'll double or triple up to get more cushion and add a very small shrouding effect. Thanks for all the suggestions guys! :)

Back