• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I was hoping somebody could give me some unbiased opinions on this graphics card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eaglepi

Over the years I've been wanting to upgrade my graphics card but since I don't really get into much gaming I've never taken the Jump. I'm really not into Computer gaming however I'm hoping that this graphics card which is the Asus GTX 680, I'm not quite sure when this card first came out I do know it's a big beefy card.

Currently right now my graphics card should be in my signature so you can see what I'm using now and have been using for many many years, I was hoping this Asus GTX 680 Had some benefit to me even if I'm not a gamer.

I would appreciate any input on the above questions. Please don't recommend other cards as I'm not really shopping for graphics cards, I just have a chance to get this one ( a used one that's working perfectly now ) at a decent price I do realize that if I buy use card he could die tomorrow but I'm willing to take that risk if there will be a benefit over my current card for just general computer use, video editing and things of that sort.

Thank you in advance for all your replies

Taco is nt sure you need a 'better' card. If you don't game and yours is working fine, you probably won't benefit much if at all..

Taco is nt sure you need a 'better' card. If you don't game and yours is working fine, you probably won't benefit much if at all..

Thanks for the input, I have wanted to upgrade just to have a new card but like you said if mine works fine why upgrade if I am not a gamer.

Thanks again !!

If you don't game, or do any video rendering I would say you would be fine with your card.

I do quite a bit of video editing And that's why I thought upgrading my card would help, to be honest I can't say that I've ever had any problems editing videos with my current card but I don't know how much faster would be with them much newer one.

Does your editing software use CUDA? If so an upgrade could save you some time.

Does your editing software use CUDA? If so an upgrade could save you some time.

I'm not sure I have VideoStudio X10 Ultimate, I also have Adobe Premiere but I don't use that is too complicated at least now it is. Imagine if I learned well it would be the best one to use.

Looks like it does but hard to find any specifics just says it will. http://help.videostudiopro.com/vide...videostudio-x10/h2-hardware-acceleration.html

First of all thank you very much for looking that up for me I tried but I couldn't find.

Because I work a lot in Adobe products and do photo editing and video editing, while I should say I'm trying to learn most of that. I'm not a gamer but I feel my GPU is so old I should be able to get some advantage from a new one.

If I decide to buy a new GPU I'm going also want to upgrade my case which currently Be listed in my signature. If it's not in because I can't see that this particular point in time out listed, Antec P193 V3 .

Before my last build which was In 2015 I was using a Thermalright Ultima 90 CPU cooler Which I can no longer use With the Antec P193 V3, The 200 mm side fan doesn't give me enough room in the case.

So if I'm going to consider buying a CPU I'm going to also upgrade my case. I realize this section of the form is for GPU's what I be better off posting a general field question is another section or could I continue asking my questions about a new case and GPU here?

The card is faster than 960 or 1050ti and just a little slower than 280X, so not bad. Depends how much you're supposed to pay.

On the AMD side R9 280X, R9 380X would be slightly faster and RX 470 and RX 570 would be much faster and newer and all could be found at a cheap price. Also 970 would be ~40% more powerful and sells cheap these days and is one of the best GPUs ever. And 1060 3GB can sometimes be purchased at extremely cheap prices, while being consummate efficiency champions.

The card is faster than 960 or 1050ti and just a little slower than 280X, so not bad. Depends how much you're supposed to pay.

On the AMD side R9 280X, R9 380X would be slightly faster and RX 470 and RX 570 would be much faster and newer and all could be found at a cheap price. Also 970 would be ~40% more powerful and sells cheap these days and is one of the best GPUs ever. And 1060 3GB can sometimes be purchased at extremely cheap prices, while being consummate efficiency champions.

I'm a little confused, it's getting late so that could be the issue but I don't recall ever mentioning a card although I may have so without the quote I'm not sure what you're replying to? But I do appreciate the reply

OP mentioned he is not interested in buying anything other than that rtx680 because he's not shopping g for gfx cards.:) He might be getting the 680 for $2.99:D
There are a lot of things that *could* be faster, but unless he's playing graphics games or use video card acceleration while rendering video, he might not need a better one if his 8600gts works fine.

OP mentioned he is not interested in buying anything other than that rtx680 because he's not shopping g for gfx cards.:) He might be getting the 680 for $2.99:D
There are a lot of things that *could* be faster, but unless he's playing graphics games or use video card acceleration while rendering video, he might not need a better one if his 8600gts works fine.

OK, you got me I did mention the Asus GTX 680, That was one I was looking at possible buying used and wanted to know if I really need a better GPU since I don't play games. I have seen several others since the OP and that Asus GTX 680 I found out was on the second year of the second owner and he didn't have the box or any thing that came with it so I decided against it. ( I keep all computer part boxes,documentation and disc's and anything that came with it ) O know not everyone does but "IF" I buy one I want to get the best one that has all the original packaging.

I understand that since I am not a gamer my 8800GTS is fine and it is working without issues. I just wonder as I get more and more into video editing if it would make sense to get a newer GPU, maybe not top of the line but something newer and more powerful. If I decide to buy new I plan to get a different case to give me more room also.

Sorry I forgot about mentioning the Asus GTX 680 but I have thought about getting others too and forgot I mentioned that in the OP.

GPUs are like girlfriends. If performance and build quality is equal, you should get the younger one or one that will stay so for a longer guaranteed time, so no warranty-void beauty queens of 2013. ;). Oh… unless you fall square in love, in which case nothing's going to help you and you aren't going to listen anyway. ;)

I mentioned a couple of cards within the same price/performance range just to give you some pointers as to what could be a better buy and help you fall out of love with the 680. ;)

GPUs are like girlfriends. If performance and build quality is equal, you should get the younger one or one that will stay so for a longer guaranteed time, so no warranty-void beauty queens of 2013. ;). Oh… unless you fall square in love, in which case nothing's going to help you and you aren't going to listen anyway. ;)

I mentioned a couple of cards within the same price/performance range just to give you some pointers as to what could be a better buy and help you fall out of love with the 680. ;)

I've never heard anything put so well that is easy to understand and makes the point. !!!!

Hello again,
For the last several years I've been going back and forth whether I should upgrade my graphics card or not. Most every time I've asked for opinions I'm told that I shouldn't because my current graphics card which is in my signature but all listed again here, MSI NX8600GTS T2D256EZ Has been working well for many many years. I don't play video games on my computer and that's the main reason that most everyone who has advised me on this forum not to upgrade. And I've taken that advice however my situation has changed so now I'm looking for some more advice.

I said I don't play video games on my computer which is accurate however over the last six months I purchased a PS4 which I don't play on my computer but I want to wait to record my gameplay, I've decided to buy this capture device, Elgato Game Capture HD60 S. The manufacturer states the following is a requirement,

Stunning 1080p quality with 60 fps. For Mac- GPU- AMD or NVIDIA. For windows- GPU- Intel HD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 600 series graphics (or better).

So it seems if I want to purchase The Elgato Game Capture HD60 S I will also have to upgrade my graphics card. The problem I'm having is I cannot find anywhere on the Internet The actual card dimensions of the MSI NX8600GTS T2D256EZ, the reason being is I want to get a card that is similar in size or smaller so that I know for sure it fits in my case.

I have a Antec P193 V3 Computer Case which has a huge 200mm fan on the side cover and it extends into he case a bit so much so I couldn't use my Thermalright Ultima 90 because it was too tall.

Okay most likely am telling you way much more than you need to know or want to know, but I'm doing this so that you know what I'm dealing with. Most likely if I spend the money to get a new graphics card I may end up buying a new Case but I'm not sure that's why I want to make sure that the card is either smaller or at least the same size as my current card.

Obviously since I fed my current card for many years, at least since 2007 MI am a big fan of MSI but their cards are very expensive now. So I've been looking at several other brands like Asus, Gigabit and EVGA I read quite a bit and there's different opinions on each one of these brands and there's also opinions that the brands don't really make a difference because they're all basically the same with just a few extra bells and whistles on some that the others don't have. No I don't know better so that's why am here once again asking for some advice.

I guess my first question is there anybody that would have any idea what my current graphics card size is? ( I know someone will probably tell me to open my case and measure it ) but I want that to be my last option if I can't find it listed somewhere in some specs.

I know the EVGA Line carries some pretty compact cards that are supposed to be pretty powerful and they run well from what I read.

Okay I've gone on and on way too long now what I'm going to do is in this and wait for some replies. I appreciate everybody's input in advance now it seems like I have to upgrade if I want to purchase that capture device for my PS4 so this time I do need to upgrade.

Thanks

Since you're comfortable with MSI, a compact MSI GTX 1050 Ti 4GB for $160 shipped after rebate should do the job. Likely you could get by the a cheaper 2GB GT 1050.

Since you're comfortable with MSI, a compact MSI GTX 1050 Ti 4GB for $160 shipped after rebate should do the job. Likely you could get by the a cheaper 2GB GT 1050.

Yes I looked at that Card however it doesn't have the inputs I need. Sorry I forgot to mention this in my long post, I'm looking for a card that has two DVI and at least one HDMI

Back