• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I was hoping somebody could give me some unbiased opinions on this graphics card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I want to give you guys as much information so that you Can give me the best advice knowing exactly what I have. I checked my manual and below is the section about expansion slots. So if I can't use the very first one which one would be best to use if need be you can scroll up and refer to my diagram of my motherboard but I think this should also explain it very well. I guess I will have to figure out if I do use one of the slots how to enable it. Maybe I should start a thread in the motherboard section asking that specific question?? What you think

I know why you asked whether it fits, its because you have a very unusual GPU right now with a *massive* heatsink hanging over the top of it. That isn't normal. Regular GPUs always 'start' at the top of the PCIe bay they use (where it sticks out the back of your PC), add maybe 3-5mm for a backplate on top, and the heatsink hangs underneath, not on top of it.

One notable bit here still is the so called sagging of the GPU. Visually inspect your PCIe slot because that card has been hanging there for quite a while. Check for dust and blow it out, and see if the slot is still intact and 'straight'. If its bent, use one of the slots below it. Better to do that before something says zap, because why not, if the slot is at least x8 you won't ever notice.

I know why you asked whether it fits, its because you have a very unusual GPU right now with a *massive* heatsink hanging over the top of it. That isn't normal. Regular GPUs always 'start' at the top of the PCIe bay they use (where it sticks out the back of your PC), add maybe 3-5mm for a backplate on top, and the heatsink hangs underneath, not on top of it.

One notable bit here still is the so called sagging of the GPU. Visually inspect your PCIe slot because that card has been hanging there for quite a while. Check for dust and blow it out, and see if the slot is still intact and 'straight'. If its bent, use one of the slots below it. Better to do that before something says zap, because why not, if the slot is at least x8 you won't ever notice.

The graphics card isn't really sagging that I can see it may be the angle I took the picture, when I lay the case on its side vertical and not sagging at all when I'm looking at it straight on if not sagging at all, in the picture it may appear to be but it isn't. The slot is fully intact no problem with the slot whatsoever. I ordered the card yesterday that I want and I'll have it on November 14 so hopefully it will fit in the same area I'm hoping so. If not I have other slots that I can use.

I do dust my insides out often however I took these pictures because I was trying to explain things and I thought it would be quicker to take the pictures so what dust you see in there now is this something that built up since the last time I cleaned it out.

I appreciate your reply

Thanks for the reply, a little bit too late because I already ordered the other card. I looked at this card but it doesn't have the two DVI inputs that I want I may not need them but I do want them. Thanks for your reply

i was just trying to make things a little more difficult on you ;)

Dear Sir, my curiosity is getting very hard to me, I lost all sleep because of it, please set taco free and do tell why you don't want to use adapters?

Thanks for all your help

I bought a new Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 Windforce OC 3GB GDDR5 Graphics Card and decided to do a rebuild of my system, I also bought a new case, a Corsair Carbide Air 540.
Here are before and after pic's.

Thanks again for all the help to everyone who replied to my posts.

before.jpg

after.jpg

nice looking build, the air 540 is a very good looking case and the 4790K is still a powerhouse chip and the 1060 is a very good choice.

Thank you ! again thanks to all of you who gave me input in this and all other threads. :)

I like this new card, I am noticing small changes in my display.

So far I'm enjoying this new graphics card that I installed, when I was trying to find the right card many of you suggested that unless I am a gamer that I didn't need a cart of this quality. Like I said I do minimal gaming but it's not on my computer but I bought a capture device that needed a newer graphics card so that's why got this graphics card.

If you things that I'm noticing since installing it, a lot of the colors seem to be brighter and of course the resolution is much higher. I'm wondering if I could use the same resolution I was using on my old graphics card and have everything be okay. In other words with a lower resolution take care of any of the color issues I'm having not that there are huge issue I just noticed that things are much brighter.

I took a screenshot of Speccy from my old graphics card and I just took a new one of the new graphics card and I'll post them here and see if there's anything that you can suggest after looking at the results. I'm not disappointed with the changes that I see however I was told many times that I wouldn't see any difference unless I was gaming, that's not 100% correct because I do see changes. I'm not complaining I just pointing that out as fact, and it's not a negative it's actually a positive.

Old MSI 8800GTS

Speccy Screenshot of Graphics before new card.jpg

New Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 Windforce OC 3GB GDDR5 Graphics Card

Speccy Screenshot of Graphics after new card.jpg

When I ran Speccy on the MSI card I was just doing normal browsing no video or anything. With the new card I did the reading while I was watching several YouTube videos at the same time I wanted to put a load on the graphics card and see how it reacted. That should account for the difference in temperature. When I'm just browsing and not watching any videos this new card goes down to 37C as well

I guess my question is what I be able to go down to the same resolution I used on my MSI card and if so what I notice any difference in the colors not being as bright as they are now with the new card.

The resolution has nothing to do with brightness or color reproduction. :)

Change your resolution at will!

That said, what monitors do you have and what is their native resolution? I see some really really odd resolutions that arent native, which on an LCD can cause a loss of image quality. Why not run their native res, which I assume is 1920x1080? If text is small, scale it up!

Last edited:
The resolution has nothing to do with brightness or color reproduction. :)

Change your resolution at will!

okay ye of little words * respect " yes I knew I could change my resolutions that will, my question was more towards is the higher resolution causing everything to look so much brighter with my colors. The only thing I changed was my graphics card and the case. Everything else is the same so I don't understand what could change the colors to be brighter than they were before.

Please see the edit...

I dont ever recall a notably brighter or better picture from GPUs as you describe. I also never made a 7 generation jump either. Regardless, you can change the res without it affecting the monitors brightness or colors (you can also just try and see :)).

Please see the edit....

Thanks for the edit, the monitors are the same monitors I had with the MSI card so maybe this new card is interacting with them differently. Offhand I don't know the native resolution I would have to check that out and I will and get back to you. On the specs page it doesn't say anything about native resolution it just says that the resolution is 1920 x 1080. I thought I had my signature on here but I can't find where to put it. This is what my system is,

Intel Core i7-4790K Processor Supports LGA 1150 socket (8M Cache, up to 4.40 GHz)
ASUS Z97-A ATX DDR3 2600 LGA 1150 Motherboards Z97-A
Thermalright Ultima-90
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 Windforce OC 3GB GDDR5 Graphics Card
Corsair CX Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS Modular 80 PLUS Bronze ATX12V/EPS12V 744 Power Supply CX750M
Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory
Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory To make a total of 32GB
(3) Seagate 2TB Desktop HDD SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD
(2) Samsung S24E310HL 23.6-Inch Screen LED-Lit Monitor

Oops, I see it. 1920x1080. I have no idea why you are running such odd, and low, resolutions.

I'd set them both to their native res of 1920x1080, and if seeing icons or text us a problem, scale them up..

.. since I know you'll ask :)p), here is a link on how to do that in W10...https://m.windowscentral.com/how-make-text-apps-bigger-windows-10

Edit: your signature needs updated with the new card. :)
(Click settings and on the left is edit signature)

Last edited:
That is the recommended resolution when I go into my settings for display. I would've thought with this new card I would had different resolution but I guess my monitors are limited. Thanks for the link, I've already read that the only problem is on my display there is no slider to adjust??

That is the recommended resolution when I go into my settings for display. I would've thought with this new card I would had different resolution but I guess my monitors are limited.
Not sure what you mean here...

Your monitors are not limited per say...that is just how they work. Your LCD native resolution is 1080p. It cant go higher no matter what video card you have. It doesn't work that way.

Set your monitors both to 1080p. If you need larger text/icons, make them bigger.

Not sure what you mean here...

Your monitors are not limited per say...that is just how they work. Your LCD native resolution is 1080p. It cant go higher no matter what video card you have. It doesn't work that way.

Set your monitors both to 1080p. If you need larger text/icons, make them bigger.

Right now they are set to 1080p when I try to make my icons bigger I only have a choice of 125% and higher when I make it at 125% everything is too big so I guess I'm stuck with the recommended hundred percent and I'll just deal with it. Thanks for your help

Back