• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I was hoping somebody could give me some unbiased opinions on this graphics card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Icons at 100% on 1080p are a good size for me and my eyes (too big honestly). I run 100% size at 2560x1440 even (27" monitors). When I use the 4K UHD monitor, I need to scale to 125% though.

Anyway, with LCD/LED monitors, you should always run them at their native resolution for best image quaity. Unlike CRTs, they actually have that number of pixels so running at non-native resolutions causes it to scale and you lose some crispness of the image.

Last edited:
Icons at 100% on 1080p are a good size for me and my eyes. I run 100% size at 2560x1440 even (27" monitors). When I use the 4K UHD monitor, I need to scale to 125% though.

Anyway, with LCD/LED monitors, you should always run them at their native resolution for best image quaity. Unlike CRTs, they active have that number of pixels so running at non native resolutions causes it to scale and you loose some crispness of the image.

I hear what you're saying Dog, however my 62-year-old eyes are not able to see the small icons when I have it set to the recommended resolution. I would've thought with this new card I would be able to set the resolution higher and then make the icons bigger and it wouldn't affect so much. Right now my only choice like I said Other than 100% it goes up in 25% increments and 125% at my current resolution makes my icons way too big. I'm not sure why The highest and recommended resolution when I click on my display is 1920 x 1080 I guess I would've thought that with this new card I would have higher resolution options. That is a resolution I was running with my old card. It doesn't really matter I needed to add this new card for capture device that I bought anyway, you would just think that I would be able to get higher than 1920 x 1080 but that is the highest the goes in my settings display and it's also the recommended. When I said my monitors were limited what I meant was maybe they are limited to just that resolution as being the highest they will accept.

When I looked at the specs all they listed was 1920 x 1080 so I'm assuming that is all the monitors can handle.

Thanks for your replies

If it only supports 1920x1080 then that is as high as you can set them. But I think you now getting that point. :)

You can run a lower resolution, but the overall image quality (IQ) will be lacking (text may be fuzzy, things not as sharp, etc). Perhaps that is a better solution for you? Again, try it and see... you may not be able to see the IQ difference if the icons are too small on 1080p anyway! :)

Thanks Dog,
We are on the same page now I think a lot of it had to do with the leapfrogging posts. I do understand that my monitors are limited to the resolution of 1920 x 1080 I'm just wondering because when I try to make my icons bigger like I said above my only choice after hundred percent is 125% and that this current resolution that is just way too big. I'm wondering if I go to new monitors they give me the ability to go higher resolution and then I Upsize my monitors or display I wonder if they will equal out so that my icons don't get so big but big enough to see comfortably.

Maybe. You can go to a place that sells monitors, ask to see a 2560x1440 working, and check. That is about the only way if nobody around you has one to check.

Look at 27-28" 2560x1440 panels...

Maybe. You can go to a place that sells monitors, ask to see a 2560x1440 working, and check. That is about the only way if nobody around you has one to check.

Look at 27-28" 2560x1440 panels...

That's a very good idea and I may do that at some point. I was playing around with the display settings in the resolution area and I selected 1768 x 992 Although that is not the recommended resolution it makes everything on my desktop readable so I think that's where I'll keep it for now. Once again thanks for your replies

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 Windforce OC 3GB GDDR5 Graphics Card question

I've notice that the fans on my graphics card seem to never run, from time to time i hear a fan getting louder and I figured out it was my CPU fan speeding up as needed. I did a Google search on my Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 Windforce OC 3GB GDDR5 Graphics Card and noticed that there was some sort of software that someone was using to monitor and adjust the fans settings on the card. I did notice this video below was for the 6Gb card , mine is only 3Gb so not sure if the utility will work on mine???

I saw it on this YouTube video

I didn't install anything from the DVD that came with the card, I just took Dog's advice and downloaded the latest drivers. I can't seem to find where this monitoring software or utility can be downloaded does anyone have the same card and know where to get it? or even if you don't have the card and know I'd appreciate the info. I don't want to OC the card but it would be nice to monitor the tempps and the fans settings.

Thanks

Well, if they don't run then that's a good thing! Less noise!:thup:
How cold is it in the house? If the card isn't doing any work, its downclocked into lowest power saving state, hence not making any heat, fans stay off:)

Well, if they don't run then that's a good thing! Less noise!:thup:
How cold is it in the house? If the card isn't doing any work, its downclocked into lowest power saving state, hence not making any heat, fans stay off:)

Thank you I appreciate your reply, my question was about the monitoring utility more than the fans not working or running I should say

You can try this from Gigabyte VGA - XTREME ENGINE, located here https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N1060WF2-3GD#support-dl-utility

MSI Afterburner is popular, as well. In fact, MSI AB is probably the single most popular graphics card software besides drivers. Found here https://us.msi.com/page/afterburner Don't worry about not having a MSI card, AB works with just about everything, and it has fan control if your card supports it.

Thank you very much for that link, I downloaded and installed it and it's telling me exactly what I wanted to know. I see that I can overclock it if I ever need to which I already knew. But the important thing is the Fanta set to auto and it doesn't kick on until it reaches 60 Celsius, mine rarely gets into the 50s that's why my fans have never turned on. So is taco said that's a good thing.

Once again thanks for the link this will come in handy

For future reference, software for things can typically be found at the webpage for the product under download or support. ;)

Back