• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I went "fanless" for my DD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Off topic, this is getting political!
Anyways, why do fanless? Or partial fanless?
Is it for the noise or just novelty? Surely newer fans are quite quiet! You don't usually go deaf hearing a PC unless room is blindly quiet!

You have won the internet for today, for not only spelling quiet correctly, but using it in series with "quite" and spelling them both correctly! :clap:

Off topic, this is getting political!
Anyways, why do fanless? Or partial fanless?
Is it for the noise or just novelty? Surely newer fans are quite quiet! You don't usually go deaf hearing a PC unless the room is blindly quiet!

Bottom line: the fewer fans you use, the quieter things are. I advocate open backs because air goes out silently. When a computer must sit 1/2 meter from your ear you value silence.

OP has the right idea. His intake fans I hope are cooling his hard drives. If he goes open back he can use a 500rpm Scythe to blow air on his heatsink and end up with a very quiet box.

If you're reading a book, yes I understand, but his PC is at least a couple meters from the ear, being a home entertainment unit.
Besides, newer fans are wicked quiet and efficient. They don't sound like a Harley at idle:shrug:

If you're reading a book, yes I understand, but his PC is at least a couple meters from the ear, being a home entertainment unit.
Besides, newer fans are wicked quiet and efficient. They don't sound like a Harley at idle:shrug:

Sounds perfect.

it gets about 10 degree hotter than before at adle

the only load I put on it anymore is watching Netflix from time to time
and then it get about 10 degree hotter then with a fan/heatsink combo...but it looks cool :)

Is that 10c or 10f? If it's 10c, that's a jump of 18f on top of what your temps was with the fan. I have a FX-8350 system that the fans on the CPU cooler stopped spinning and the system did a thermal shutdown. So gaming or not, leave the fan in.

CPU cooler I use.
cooler-master-v6gt-il.jpg

Last edited:
Back