• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i5 2500k 3,3Ghz, problems with OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

siweq86

Registered
hi,

yesterday i tried to overclock my CPU and RAM. After i changed my ram from 1600 to 1866 my PC was keep resetting so i was a little scared and i gave up :)
CPU. It's 3,3Ghz, but it was already set to 3,7 in bios. I don't know why. I changed it slowly to 4300 and voltage from 1.25v to 1.35v. Tested it playing pubg and with cinebench. Got a little bit better results. Core temp did not exceed 75 degrees. I thought everything works fine so i decided to test it more today. Btw. i resetted my pc many times during this operation.
Today i tried to start my PC and... surprise. I didn't want to start. Fortunately switching off and on my extension cord helped and i could enter bios to revert all changes.
Does it mean this cpu is too fragile to overclocking or maybe i used wrong voltage? Everything above 1.35 was written with red color so i thought it is a warning ;)

Please don't eat me for being a noob.

Ad. after overclocking i have also some problem at windows like pages in Firefox sometimes crashes, f.e. at youtube. Is it possible that i damaged my pc? I thought everything should work fine after resetting bios settings.

My setup:
wXxfupq.png

You just might need a little more core voltage for the CPU. Sounds like it got more stable after you moved from 1.25 to 1.35 so you were headed in the right direction and your temps are no where near a problem yet. Try 1.375 but I wouldn't go any higher than that.

You just might need a little more core voltage for the CPU. Sounds like it got more stable after you moved from 1.25 to 1.35 so you were headed in the right direction and your temps are no where near a problem yet. Try 1.375 but I wouldn't go any higher than that.

Actually, if temps stay in check (below 90/95c), you can push the vcore to 1.45v (check vcore peaks when on load, depending on LLC settings).

I used to have the very same motherboard, and it won't hold you back (was running my 2600k's in the 4.9/5GHz range on it).

Don't worry, your pc is not damaged. You can lower LLC by a notch or two, as the crashes when doing light use might be due to not enough juice when not sollicitating the CPU.

What is the best BLCK value? When i was changing it for the first time it was smth like 103.9 iirc. After switching to auto it's set at 100.
Yesterday i was testing BLCK 100, x 40, voltage 1.35 and for example when i was playing Hearthstone game didn't crash but was slowing down during animations which didn't happen before OC

A quick check for stability in between tweaking settings can be done by running cinebench r20. It takes a while to render the photo and would usually crash a PC if it's unstable. Make sure you back up your important files just in case you break windows. (File corruption)

Also, best to tweak one thing at a time. You don't want to increase cpu *and* also ram at the same time because if you crash, you won't know exactly what was the culprit.

Edit: cine r20 link https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/download-maxon-cinebench.html

Last edited:
UltraTaco,

I'm actually doing that since 2 days and i'm getting slightly worst results than before starting OC :)

That may be a sign of instability. I've encountered that before. Even gpu when not stable might give results, but they will be lower than stock settings. My guess is there are many errors, not enough to cause a crash, but excessive correction causes lower results:confused:

i made around 15 cinabench tests in past days. Never got a crash. I started from 820 points. After OC i'm getting 805-815 :)
But two days ago when i set to 45x and 1.35V i was getting almost 1000 points. But PC was unstable and i couldnt turn it on next day.

Ah I see. Well something is definitely wrong with getting lower scores after overclock, maybe the overclock wasn't overclocked, as in..settings not getting saved. Or maybe it was ram acting up from working at 1866 vs stock 1600..:shrug:

Either way, overclocking is fun! That 2 days ago 1000 points seem more appropriate. At that point, as others have already mentioned, try working your way up with voltage, temperatures permitting of course:)

currently i'm testing this: YZjN5lr.png and results are pretty crazy: uAR6jQa.png

Probably i won't be able to start PC tomorrow but who know. I don't get any glitches and everything works very smooth. Not sure what changed. I only reset BIOS settings and set it as in a pic.

Thanks everyone for tips.

UltraTaco,

I'm actually doing that since 2 days and i'm getting slightly worst results than before starting OC :)

Usually, when benchmark fall after overclocking, throttling is probably happening when overclocked because of high temps. And it could be the motherboard VRM temps, not he core temps.

Usually, when benchmark fall after overclocking, throttling is probably happening when overclocked because of high temps. And it could be the motherboard VRM temps, not he core temps.

That is actually very true idea indeed Mr.Trents. sewer mentioned his temps are normal, might be motherboard¿

Today after three days again i had to reset power in my PC for ~20 seconds because it couldn't start. What could be the reason? There's no crashes, everything works great. Temp max goes to 75°. After resetting power i didn't even had to change bios settings. I just got error "Chessis Intruded! Fatal Error... System Halted" and after next reboot everything works fine.

That's my current settings:

Maybe bios is corrupted after many overclock tries?
Maybe try writing down all your settings and then removing battery, unplugging pc and holding power button for 30 secs. Then put battery back in, plug her in and inject all settings.

Nt sure what is happng

Chassis intrusion means the case was opened and changes were made to hardware or to bios settings. It's a bios feature used by some OEM computer builders to alert them to customers having tampered with the original configuration of the system.

I agree with Tir na N0g, don't change the bclk. Overclock with the multiplier only. Changing the bclk also messes with RAM frequency and can cause instability.

If you're computer has difficulty starting up when restarted or turned on, it's often due to insufficient vcore. Once you get into Windows, LLC compensates and you are okay. So maybe add some vcore and if that gives too high a voltage under load, then back off a notch on the LLC.

I agree with Taco, by now with all the blue screens and crashes, it is likely that either the OS or the bios has been corrupted. It would be a good idea to run system file checker to check for and restore broken Windows system files: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026529/windows-10-using-system-file-checker

It probably would also be a good idea to flash your bios too. Do you have the latest bios for the motherboard installed?

siweq86, please create a Signature listing your system components so that information will travel with every post you make and we won't have to comb through the thread to find it. Click on "Settings" in the upper right corner of any forum page, look down the left side and click on "Edit Signature".

Last edited:
I just got error "Chessis Intruded! Fatal Error... System Halted"

That's a known reported hardware issue that started in mainly their socket 775-era motherboards, but apparently carried on into the 1155-era! Ooof!

A long thread over at badcaps.net:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=32502

And a hardware mod, but the hardware mod varies with motherboard, as the locations are expected to highly vary:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=32502&page=2

Last edited:
Good thought RJ. Could be bad motherboard capacitors. Especially with hardware that old.

So i did DISM and scannow and got result as in a pic. Log file is pretty big - 7MB.
I have newest BIOS, but it's still very old (2012) and i updated it just week ago when i was trying to deal with monitor not showing video while connected by DVI.
For now i'll lower multiplier to 38x and wait for results. I'm not sure if i can increase VCORE as higher values have red color so i guess it's a warning.
I found out how to clear cmos on my motherboard but i'm pretty scared to do that so i'll wait until it will be necessary :)

b14EBP9.png

Good thought RJ. Could be bad motherboard capacitors. Especially with hardware that old.

Not caps, believe it or not, it's a design issue. The hardware mod, involves removing a transistor and bypassing it with a wire connected to 3.3V. Unless a BIOS mod gets rid of that bogus message and halt...

So i did DISM and scannow and got result as in a pic.

View attachment 210883

That's a common error, especially pre-19xx! Also, the March, 2020 update, was notorious for causing that error.

https://www.tenforums.com/performance-maintenance/152144-fyi-3-12-cumulative-update-failed-sfc.html

With that error, you must now run under a command prompt as administrator:

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Last edited:
Back