• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Idle 100 C for 2700x

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eurgbp

Registered
what is this?
misreading or this high is ok for cpu?

https://drive.google.com/uc?id=1Z47C3gYeh-C4h5iznKcG4wcnBVL6tDLh

uc

confusing because even though it reads 7% CPU usage it appears to be using 100w in some readings. What cooler are you using? Can you take a screenshot of your task manager at the 7% load, sorted for CPU usage? I saw 100c a couple times running prime95 with the stock cooler on my 2600x, but only momentarily after the CPU throttled but before the extra heat that cause it to throttle was removed (presumably).

Just curious, I know you have Ryzen Master installed. What does it say for your temps. That just seems off to be so high could be a mismatch with software and the sensor on that board

He's at thermtrip temp. Reading is wrong. It would have shut off. It's a false reading, ignor it and use software that report correctly.

Since he cannot overclock that board, it would have severely throttled back clocks and voltage. At least that's how my A320 does it. On my Asus board, it'll throttle actually starting in the 60-65c range fyi.

Agree with shrimpy. You know how the motherboard manufacturers market their products. They list a high end CPU as being compatible with a low end motherboard. All that means is it will boot up. Never mind that it is unstable or will down throttle when using it in real life applications.

Haha Trents. Thanks :D

His next question WILL BE..... Why doesn't my cpu run 3.7ghz or boost to 4.350ghz, 16 thread loads at 100%, that board without active cooling on the VRM is going to cook them at 100c or better and that's likely the false cpu temp reading is actually VRMs cooking.

in BIOS cpu temp is 60C

is this normal?

No the temperature it too high for bios reading.

You have cooling issues.

My only advice is lots of fresh air flow in and back out of the case.

Upgrade the Cpu cooler and actively cool VRM package area and you'll have a much better experience.

He needs a better motherboard period. He's installed a skyscraper CPU on a chicken coup foundation.

I'm also wondering if there is any TIM between the cooler and the CPU.

yep seems like an issue with thermal paste...
nothing to do with VRMs
i throttled down to 3.6 Ghz max
3dmark passed

what is a max acceptable temperature for VRMs?

Screenshot_2019-02-24-20-00-03-534_com.google.android.apps.photos.png

ok

PSU 700 w

bad psu?

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

If mobo is certified for 2700x 105w then it is ok
I am not chasing overclocking or gucci brands

Well their math is off...I can say that...Is that Inter-tech GmbH? if so, from my brief searh it isn't a very good power supply.

PSU is only putting out 24 amps on the +12v1 and 23 on the +12v2rail. A total of 48 watts amps but they are split into two rails and that is a concern. And who knows if that is a peak or sustained rating. The video card pulls 215 watts TDP by itself. That's 18 amps. The TDP of the CPU is 105 watts which works out to be almost 9 amps. If the GPU and the CPU are on different rails this should work but the indications are the PSU is not a quality unit. My EVGA Supernova G2 which is rated for 650 watts puts out 54 amps on a single +12v rail. So we have a unit rated for 700 watts putting out a total of 48 amps vs. a unit only rated for 650 watts putting out 54 amps.

Last edited:
We have amps and watts confused...

540W 12V = 45A. Each 12V rail can max out at 24A.

215W = ~18A.

Theoretically so long as the GPU is powered from one rail and CPU on another (if its actually a true dual rail... who knows)...not to mention at best it's old style (since nearly all available power isnt on the 12v) and a garbage brand.

Back