• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Idle 100 C for 2700x

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i see ASRock AB350M PRO4 has got both heatsinks
good cheap micro atx?
will it run stock 2700x?

Anyhoo, what is your budget for the mobo? What features do you need? Want?
We got MicroATX... but what else are you looking for? What are your needs from the board?

i see ASRock AB350M PRO4 has got both heatsinks
good cheap micro atx?
will it run stock 2700x?

If you need micro atx that's fine but many people make the mistake of wanting a "CHEAP" motherboard. This is the foundation of your PC you can put and expensive CPU in a cheap board and you're going to get cheap CPU results IMO you made that mistake once already

If you buy a 300 series board you may also need to buy a first generation CPU in order to flash the bios so the board will work with a second generation Ryzen CPU. Probably not a smart way to go money wise.

I understand that you will likely need a new motherboard, but I would hope to see the CPU temperature problem addressed as a priority? Putting a nice motherboard into a case with no airflow will not help much. As Niku-Sama suggested, run the computer with the side panel off and see what CPU temps are. If that doesn't solve the temp problem, you'll still want case fans but you'll also need to re mount the CPU cooler.

Personally if you want to try putting heat sinks on the VRM, it can't hurt. Good and cheap don't go together, sorry. If you can't afford a good motherboard for approx $120 US, then don't buy any motherboard right now. Are you certain you need micro ATX, or are you only choosing that for price? Your case seems to have room below the current motherboard for a full ATX. As trents said, get a b450 chipset. What EarthDog is trying to ask is what else you need, how many USB ports and what spec, how many SATA ports etc?

I have a B450M-A motherboard and run a 2700X without issues. The bios is actually still in it's early stages, I believe only 3 released thus far. A consequence to that is not being able to run 3000Mhz memory frequencies. Asus generally updates their top tier boards first typically because a lot of overclockers buy into top OC boards.

I'd say a B450 chipset would be fine, I would stick with Asus for this adventure however. Would never buy MSI motherboard for any AMD processor as far back as AM2, AsRock is meh IMO as they've had their issues, but generally better than an MSI board. And GigaByte is a good brand as well, I haven't any experience with them personally, but I don't see them too often in use either.

Any how was looking at this Strix open box for only 128$, generally is 235$.... If I had the money right this second, I wouldn't be posting it here, I'd bought one. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...ption=B450&cm_re=B450-_-13-119-143R-_-Product

I got the ASUS Prime X470 Pro because it's reasonably priced, has X470 and video out to run my APUs. I can say it's a good solid motherboard it's full ATX though.

2700x has a soldered IHS. Did you see any improvement?

Well I put a TEC on it. My water loop is also Geothermal. I was running it on stock air cooler before hand.

Did not do it for comparison reasons. I did that the last 15 processors (soldered) I de-lidded.

This was not to try and coax people into thinking it's a good idea either, this was purely for the fun of it.

Der-8auer already has results, I was not replicating him, mine was de-lidded first try for my own amusement.

Either you have not seated your cooler properly or haven't applied thermal paste correctly

Did a little playing around. 3.2ghz 16 threads TEC frozen down to -23c. Minor adjustment on mounting like Rauf said above.

Back