• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm not using any Thermal Grease...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
JohnnyTheRed said:
Yes it's running bone dry. And I know I should see 5 - 10 degrees improvement with the use of some. But I never got around to getting any. I will be getting some the enxt time I order another part, but I just don't see the need for it to get its own order. Temps seem fine. Comp seems stable.

I'll prolly get it and add it within the month.

*EDIT* What are some good places to get Thermal Grease? Newegg only has a few types listed. I'm either going to get Nanotherm PCM+ or AS Ceramique.

www.xoxide.com has the nanotherm, and others. You could try svc.com too.

Yep. And I was taking part in mass drunk'n nekkidness on a bowl game trip.

Just because I took part dosen't mean I'd do that sober, when I could think very well.

Hey it's your chip. If it get's your rocks off to be different without any thermal transfer helper, then whatever.

I however would not suggest doing so. (no goop, not drunk'n nekkidness; that depends on the drunk'n nekkid company!)

Good feedback. Almost anything is a better choice than a pre-applied TIM pad - with the exception of thermal tape and air (bone dry).

Hmm, since it's bone-dry, and as it's a P4 architecture, you may well be experiencing thermal throttling.

You also haven't mentioned your room temp and case cooling solution, both of which make a big difference. If you're running in a place with temps like a Minnesota winter, you probably could get by without any thermal interface material, perhaps even without thermal throttling. -- Paul

macklin01 said:
Hmm, since it's bone-dry, and as it's a P4 architecture, you may well be experiencing thermal throttling.

You also haven't mentioned your room temp and case cooling solution, both of which make a big difference. If you're running in a place with temps like a Minnesota winter, you probably could get by without any thermal interface material, perhaps even without thermal throttling. -- Paul

Hehe, what I was thinking too. You may not notice any extreme temps due to the throttling.

Just pop off your HSF and put some type of goo between your HSF and CPU for crying out loud! :rolleyes: Drive down the street to RadioShack if you have to, but put something in between there, please.

Careful Johnny, you're making TIM reps nervous ;)

Nervous? This thread is like listening to people discussing running a high performance engine without oil. Is it possible? Yes - at least for a short period of time. It's the next best thing to running your fingernails across a blackboard... it's doesn't sound pretty at all.

if you are fine with you temps then leave it alone, you are more likely to harm your cpu my removing and reinstalling your hs then by not useing thermal grease, espesially if you are running near 40

It's a P4 with an IHS hows he gonna harm the cpu. Believe it or not Raio Shack grease isnt that bad. Im gettin some nanotherm pcm+ myself.

Ill test some nanotherm.. what is it anyways? some sort of artic silver or ceramique? Im just using some dow corning 38 or whatever it might be that came with my Aero 7+

breez said:
I think "perfect surface" isn't anywhere near possible to achieve with sandpapers and such.

2533-2.jpg

This is as "perfect" as it gets. But, few of us have the means to achieve such a flat surface. There's nothing holding that CPU to the heatsink other than friction. At that point I think you can do away with the thermal paste. If you can't do that with your CPU and HSF, use thermal paste. It's just a good practice to use it.

To the naked eye, that surface looks pretty perfect. Look at it under high magnification, though, and you'll know why you still wouldn't want to run it without a coating of thermal compound.

guess waht fellow oc members , i built my pc almopst two years ago, and my duron is running fine and dandy, bone dry. no pad or gease, nothing! computer is in my bed room where temps range from70degrees F to about 95 degrees F depending on out side temp.i did plan to get sopme grease with i built but i forgot to order and then i jsut got lay and never got around to it. so see it doens;t hurt bad but i can tell it sweats lol

Don't worry people, I will be getting and applying thermal paste soon. Just as soon as I need to order something else. I'll be getting Nanotherm PCM+ or Arctic Silver Ceramique. Then I'll let ya all know how the temps do after that.

Back