• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

installed new memory and CMOS reset. need help to restore my overclock.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

alex1380

I recently installed new memory modules and they work great but when I tried to turn on XMP in the bios, it caused my pc to have a boot failure and it reset the cmos. before this my processor was overclocked to 3.82 ghz with my old memory but after installing the new memory, the most i can get out of the pc without it crashing is about 3.2 ghz (160 BCLK x 20). I think that it may be that I must increase the voltage in order to increase the speed but I am a near complete rookie at this (my previous OC was done by the company I ordered the parts from). I have tried using the BIOS but that resulted in almost total failure so I have been trying with the gigabyte easy tune 6 utility and that was where I managed to get to 3.2 ghz up from the stock 2.66 ghz. I can also only manage to get my memory running around 1280 mhz instead of the 1600 it is advertised as in addition to me having different latency settings that advertised. I have included some pictures of my cpu-z results and my current settings on easy tune 6. If anyone could tell me what I am doing wrong or which settings I should be attempting to change to get a higher and more stable overlock I would be very grateful. ALso as i said, please bear in mind that I am pretty damn new to overclocking and while I am generally pretty pc literate compared to the average (not that that is necessarily something overly impressive) and a relatively quick learner, my knowledge of this topic is limited.

(album with a bunch of my settings and results)
I have added some pictures of my bios too so people can see what settings I have to work with.

I should point out that stability is not the issue in that whenever i restart from the bios, i simply get a black screen and the pc will not boot although it does not switch off.

Last edited:
For a 3.8GHz clock, try 200 x 19 w/ the DRAM multiplier at x8 = DDR3-1600. Manually adjust the four primary DRAM timings to 10-10-10-27 at 1.55v, QPI Link speed: 7.2GHz, Uncore frequency: 3200MHz, Performance Enhance: Standard, XMP: Disabled, LLC: Enabled, Vcore: 1.25v, QPI/VTT voltage: 1.34v, CPU PLL voltage: 1.88v, and IOH Core voltage: 1.24v. These settings w/ Turbo Boost disabled and HT (CPU Multi Threading) enabled.

Thanks a lot! gona give that a try. I actually seem to have it running stably right now at 191x20 and 1.3v but only have the memory at 1530 mhz so gona give that a try and see if i can get it up to 1600!

Edit 1: So I have gone ahead and changed a few things you mentioned. This resulted in my QPI link going up to 7.2 and my uncore down to 3.2 as you suggested. QPI/VTT voltage: 1.34v, CPU PLL voltage: 1.88v, and IOH Core voltage: 1.24v. For those settings i just copypasted, I just left the voltage on auto for all of them as the motherboard seems to do a pretty good job of filling in the blanks for what it requires. I also left the vcore voltage at 1.3 but with adaptive cpu so in idle states the voltage should be reduced. on CPU-Z it is telling me my core voltage sits at 1.280V. As long as the system runs stably is there any advantage to me chaning any of the additional voltages that I left on auto or is it safe just to let them run on auto?

Many thanks again for the help by the way!

Edit 2: Another big benefit of your overclock vs my previous one is that it seems a lot cooler too. previously my idle temps where around 50 with 65 popping up under heavy use and even 80 when I ran the stress tests although nothing I used my pc for (including maxed out gaming) got it anywhere near to that. Now however with your settings the idle temp is sitting around 41 so a notable improvement for only losing 200 mhz on the processor and making the memory run at full speed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back