• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel i5-2500k basic oc Q's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hey guys,

The videocard problem is fixed now, I lost all my BIOS settings so I am overclocking it again, but this time a bit lower cause the temps were out of the roof most cores stay between 70 - 80 degrees so I am not going there till I got better cooling, can anyone suggest a speed I should stick with atleast 4 Ghz plz.

And I mean oc'ing the CPU not GPU :p

Last edited:
Stick to the highest possible overclock that keeps the temps in the range you're comfortable with!

Hey guys,

The videocard problem is fixed now, I lost all my BIOS settings so I am overclocking it again, but this time a bit lower cause the temps were out of the roof most cores stay between 70 - 80 degrees so I am not going there till I got better cooling, can anyone suggest a speed I should stick with atleast 4 Ghz plz.

And I mean oc'ing the CPU not GPU :p

What CPU cooler do you have? If you have decent case cooling a Hyper 212 should be all you need. Do you have a few fans on your case? What case is it?

It is the RoyalKing version of the Radeon 7850 AMD Radeon HD 7850 Royal King

I think u will see there that the cooling is called CoolStream and as I read it is new cooling what other overclockers also said in some articles.

And btw bro I am gonna oc my CPU now but to 4.2Ghz do u possibly know which values I need to change only for the oc itself and I will take pics of the LLC I see mentioned.

you can keep most settings on auto for 4.2, thats why i recommend; keeps stock voltages which means less heat, longer life, etc etc
go change the ration only see what happens, can you prime.. what temps show up
if too hot, goto 4.0

Ok but I thought u said stock cooler can handle 4.2. isnt it weird then that with another cooler he cant handle it at 4.5, or are there things I can tweak so I get less heat?

Another Q: About my RAM frequency, when I bought my RAM I know it said 13000Mhz, thats why I choose for a higher price RAM, can I increase that frequency to 13000Mhz?

Cheers!

ha ? i said stock volts :)
it can prolly run on stock cooler .. but then temps will be touchy

you get 1333mhz nearly by default, is your ram 1333 ? next lvl would be 1600/1866/2133

Ok but I thought u said stock cooler can handle 4.2. isnt it weird then that with another cooler he cant handle it at 4.5, or are there things I can tweak so I get less heat?

Another Q: About my RAM frequency, when I bought my RAM I know it said 13000Mhz, thats why I choose for a higher price RAM, can I increase that frequency to 13000Mhz?

Cheers!

There is no 1300 Mhz, or 13 000. There is 1333/1600/1866/2000/2133, etc.

Ok let me come back to that, so I can check some things out see what I misread.

Gonna oc cpu right now running prime after that so I will come back in a bit.

Ok found it, my email mentions it like this:

IDIF57JC D3 8GB 1600-999 Vengeance LP K2 COR

So guess it can handle 1600 as u mentioned before but no idea what 999 stands for.

Last edited by a moderator:
cas latency, decent ram man
go to bios, go to ram settings, set ram to 1600mhz, look for manual timmings control, set the first 3 numbers to 9, reboot :)
post bios screenies if you needs the help

c4TIV8O&gLcp36Z

This is what I got after oc to 4.2 with the rest on standard and it keeps switching it was 4.2 but drops then increases again, dunno but gonna run prime and see what happens.

cas latency, decent ram man
go to bios, go to ram settings, set ram to 1600mhz, look for manual timmings control, set the first 3 numbers to 9, reboot :)
post bios screenies if you needs the help

gonna do it right now before prime.

Ok did it, I only couldnt find the manual timings control but something that looks like it.
In the sane frame I can select an A and B profiles for timings, got a pic of it.

This should output 2 pics.

Let me know if u need more.

you are right on, for both channels go in, the first 3 values what do they currently show ? if the board reads SPD (memory info) correctly, then they should be by default 9-9-9 but if it dont, youd need to help it :)

Ok ZL1, gonna do that but I just made some pics of my CPU oc to 4.2 with only multiplier increased rest default.

Ok so I got 2 pics again: Images

Pic 1: Both CPUID HW and CPU-Z (f****k just noticed I exited prime before I made screeny, this ones useless now.)
Pic 2: These are the temps when the PC is idle and not many progs open.

Well pic 1 does show what max temps were found.

hot hot, id back down to 40, vid is a also highish id say, maybe change it from auto, cpu vcore, change to 1.25 see if ur stable and what happens
also make sure cpu pll overvoltage is disabled ! for this oc you do not need it

from cpuz get a screenshot of "memory screen" thats your timmings, we can see if they are set right

I looked up your RAM. It's 1.5V. If you haven't already set the voltage for the ram to 1.5V in bios.

Already set but thanks for checking.

hot hot, id back down to 40, vid is a also highish id say, maybe change it from auto, cpu vcore, change to 1.25 see if ur stable and what happens
also make sure cpu pll overvoltage is disabled ! for this oc you do not need it

from cpuz get a screenshot of "memory screen" thats your timmings, we can see if they are set right

With vid u mean videocard? If so its not oc;d atm I think.

Got it:

nah meant vcore :) the hwmonitor shows vcore as vid (voltage id)
maybe hwmonitor shows it wrong, but if its shows right, its too high

the memory shows 9-11-11 you need to set it to 9-9-9 from that bios screen we talked about earlier
wait single channel .. are the sticks right next to each other ? dimm slots 1&2 ?? you need to set em to dimm slots 1 & 3 for dual channel :)

pfff... that seems complicated but will do it later

Nvm: I see what u mean with set it to 999 now.

Back