• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel i5-2500k basic oc Q's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Damn I just saw that the Hyper 412S I ordered only has 1 fan, does that mean it sucks or can it still do the trick?

thats true I do got a bridge that came with the last gfx card so tommorrow I got 2 lol, I know both terms but thought SLI was the term to describe it.

Last edited by a moderator:
lol, its fine, they are both fine, the 412slim with dual fans like i was telling you earlier is a bit lounder and bit better, but marginally, unless ur gonna oc the crap out of it, you will not notice the diff at all
the 412s is my fav for workstation, its quiet, so quiet :)

Got everything builtin vid cards working together and the cpu on idle 25 Celsius and now with 4.5Ghz it barely touches the 30 Celsius all with the Coolermaster 412 and 1 fan but still I get a second one soon.

Got a picture for what I think is the LLC everyone keeps talking about, so plz correct me if I am mistaking:

CBNRM4B.jpg

told ya it was a good cooler ;)

ya, thats LLC (load line calibration) :)
stable at 4.5 ?

it seems stable as-in no prime yet watching spartacus lol, but which LLC do I need from that screen cause u can see 2 that are linked to cpu.

Will post picture of new setup tommorrow.

leave it be for now, try priming see what happens, also looking at CPUz what does the vcore look like under full load, post that + temps when u start priming

thats under load or after u stopped it ? technically most 2500ks do need 1.34-1.35 to run 4.5, but .. i always try to manage lower if possible, so id recommend trying to play with the bios vcore, set to say 1.3 and run prime, see if it holds, but you need to run prime for hours not a couple tests :p

Haha ye but while I run prime I cant watch a show on the comp so I gotta find a good moment, haha.

And yes this was under load before I ended it.

why not ? it should let you do anything u want
run small ffts (from the torture test options) if its using up too much ram

Btw a bench Q, I know some popular bench programs but I dont understand most things, so maybe theres a bench program thats more for gamers so I can see how it performs in games, under heavy load.

it seems stable as-in no prime yet watching spartacus lol, but which LLC do I need from that screen cause u can see 2 that are linked to cpu.

Play with the Vcore load line calibration. The CPU VTT LLC is something you shouldn't have to touch unless you're going for the absolute limit on air.

ye thats the one I know and used haha, perhaps no benching for me hahaha.

But for my CPU @ 4.5Ghz runs very stable when playing high def vid, I also ran prime last night for 2 or more hours while I was watching a show which went fine only my cpu automatically held off 1 core from prime so it could be used by windows and my programs.
So technically it ran with 3 cores for 2 or more hour. The temps didnt went out of the roof it stayed around 60 Celsius with peaks of 70 for 2 cores.

I feel its possible to tweak it a little higher maybe 4.7 tops, can u confirm or deny this?

@ Theocnoob,

Nice to hear from you again sorry I didnt respond I ran into some hardware problems which are fixed now.

I was playing with the vcore but lowering it below 1.34 gave me complete hangs/crashes/bluescreens lol so I went to 1.34 or 1.35 and it went good was just for little less heat then absolutely needed.

What I forgot to say above was that I got a fan serving as case fan atm that would fit on the other side of that iron cool block and have the airflow going one direction ofc.
Havent done it yet, but as the system is right now I dont think I need it unless running prime.

u need to run all 4 cores to be sure of the sytem, unless you dont need perfect stability, depends on ur use of comp
anything over 4.5 starts needing heavy vcore and the gain in performace is rarely justified
for ex my 2500k does 4.5 @ 1.36vcore, but for 4.6 already needs 1.4 :(

Ok so if I understand it right, after 4.5 u need to put alot of extra power in to gain a little advantage? Well in that case I stay on the safe side.

Also I like to run photoshop,dreamweaver,chrome with 10 tabs so those things take alot of power which I could do but very slow, and since its almost christmas imma get myself new SSD drive, for ssd is kwality important or do they all got the same life-time? Sorry for that haha.

But atm I mainly play hd shows and the newest games so for that its enough, I guess.

yap, its always like this, after a certain point u need a lot of vcore and alot of tweaking and alot of cooling to make it go
actually for 2500ks 4.2 is the best speed, as most will do it on fully stock settings, lucky ones have 4.3-4.4s on stock settings and 4.5-4.7 with a little bit more, it depends on the chip
but yours seems similar to mine so im assuming it will want more for 4.6+ and I for one dont think the 100mhz increase is worth it
i generally run 4.2 stock core :) i just dont care enough :))

yap ssd and lots of ram for those, 4.5ghz or 5 wont make the big as difference as 16gb ram or an ssd

Have you run Prime95 blend on all 4 cores for at least 3 hours? Do that with nothing else running to make sure the system is truly stable.

You should definitely get an SSD. People are really liking Samsung these days. They say the reliability is right up there with Intel. The 840 Evo or 840 Pro are both excellent choices. The Pro is slightly faster and is also more expensive.

Sorry for the time away due to holidays, hope you guys had a good time?

Meanwhile I had bought an SSD drive(due to holidays I had to buy the cheapest but still got the 500mb/s read) and placing that one between my sata drives gave me some boot failures so I had to reset bios again and again and again lol.
I was trying to put it back to where we left off but I get bios failure or something like that kinda new to me tbh, so I knew it had to be a wrong setting but the only things I had changed were settings to get crossfire working or atleast the cards, so nothing special. The other thing I changed was the multiplier I put it to 4.5 as I got the 2 fans on my hyper 412s.

So technically it goes wrong after I put the multiplier on 4.5 which worked before, got no clue.

Back