• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Intel i7 4790K Devil's Canyon CPU Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It is the same chip, just binned a bit higher, with better TIM, some added caps, and some software bumps (Vt-d is the only one that may be useful). Whoever said IPC was increased, was smoking the good stuff. There wasn't a piece of literature that mentioned IPC increases. :p

Thanks ED, that's what I thought. Always good to be confirmed by you. :D

I thinking I can just delid and get a chip of similar quality. So far, from many forums that I read, I do not see the 4790k getting any higher overclocking speeds.

which is a pity.. if 70% can get a stable 4.8Ghz under 1.4V on it, I will go for it. :)

Well, the article, Lvcoyote, and myself already said that in the thread, LOL! :p

I don't understand your logic... why would you invalidate the warranty on a 4770K when you can have a warranty and similar temps in a 4790K? Rarely does delidding yield any higher clockspeeds unless you are already at the heat limit and still have some voltage headroom.

Well, the article, Lvcoyote, and myself already said that in the thread, LOL! :p

I don't understand your logic... why would you invalidate the warranty on a 4770K when you can have a warranty and similar temps in a 4790K? Rarely does delidding yield any higher clockspeeds unless you are already at the heat limit and still have some voltage headroom.

well, for one, I have never used any warranty service in my life, and I aint about to start. In Japan, that service is just not worth it, the culture here is you buy it, you break it, don't blame it. Warranty is looked downed upon. (for some products, like computer parts.)

I do see one advantage of delidding, that is if done right, lower temps will prolong the life of the chip, if I can run my chip at 72'C instead of 88'C, silicon physics tells me it is a good thing.

and yes, I don't think it will get anymore overclock headroom either, as I stated above.

I do see one advantage of delidding, that is if done right, lower temps will prolong the life of the chip, if I can run my chip at 72'C instead of 88'C, silicon physics tells me it is a good thing.
You will be force to get a new chip because it performs so slow before those temperatures would affect you...since using a warranty in your location is apparently a bad thing though, that really doesn't matter.

I'm getting 807 in my Cinebench scores with my 2600k overclocked to 4.588. I think I'll stay where I'm at for now.

Intel is kind of a victim of its own success here.
The Sandybridge line was such a efficient chip and they have been building basically off that same architecture with Ivy + haswell so we are not seeing the jump we saw from 1366 to 1155 but the performance increases are there it just comes down to if you need the cpu or is a upgrade worth it to someone.

I think if your still using a Phenom or Core2/Q or even 1156 or 1366 then the Haswell line might be something to consider.

If your using Sandy/Ivy at any decent oc of 4.5/4.6 or higher your likely not going to see a whole lot of gain here.

Even if you look at all the benches the only areas where you see real true gains is in the CPU based benches.

In gaming its all within a few FPS , a good example is when i took my 7970 and put it in my 1366 system in the guest pc when i upgraded to 290x's the 1366 system basically was getting the same range of FPS my 3770K oc'ed system had been getting.

gaming is just not seeing the gains from CPU's as people would wish for.

But # crunching or rendering the 3770K stomps that 1366 system.

and a Haswell chip @ the same Mhz as my 3770K would out perform the 3770K so if all you do is render things or CPU intensives then and only then id say its worth the upgrades.

As for me I honestly dont make enough use of my processors to warrant any upgrades in the near future to that side of my system/s

Right now I'm still running FAH 24/7 and with just my Q6600 processor I'm getting 7kPPD. I wonder what I'd get with the latest and greatest? If anything the power consumption should go down, but with a lot more work getting accomplished. No guarantee that Broadwell will be much better or have some serious fragility issues with the die shrink. This not an architecture advancement.

Intel is kind of a victim of its own success here.
The Sandybridge line was such a efficient chip and they have been building basically off that same architecture with Ivy + haswell so we are not seeing the jump we saw from 1366 to 1155 but the performance increases are there it just comes down to if you need the cpu or is a upgrade worth it to someone.
that would be 1366 to 2011, since 1366 is the higher end. since starting with the first gen i's intel took a more amd approach. to have a low/mid range chipset/socket and then a high end one. your low/mid range would have started with 1156 then to 1555 to now 1150. it really wouldnt be a jump soly based on sockets it would be more do with the arch of the cpu. as in really this whole thing started with the Dothan cpu, which is a reworked p3 arch. what we basically have now is a highly tweaked/even more reworked P3 cpu, with alot of L3.

That is why I have P3 in my avatar because it was a really efficient architecture.:cool::popcorn:

kinda funny how we took a step back in a way just to go forward with cpus.... everytime i see your avatar i think of my Abit ST6 non-raid in the garage with the tually celeron 1.2ghz in it with 512mb of ram and the Voodoo 5 5500.

P3 ~1GHz was better CPU than P4 ~2GHz. It was sad moment to see whole new generation worse in nearly everything.

P4 was OK in it's day. When Intel tried to push it too much, then is when it crashed and burned LOL.

P4 ↗↘ = :bang head

The whole new architecture came from a second string (but first rate engineers) design team in Israel who went back to the drawing board and came up with a much better direction to pursue.

Last edited:
The whole new architecture came from a second string (but first rate engineers) design team in Israel who went back to the drawing board and came up with a much better direction to pursue.

yea i remember reading a story someone posted about the whole thing came about. where they looked back at the old P3 arch for a direction to go in. i really hope those people got something in return for what they gave intel. i also wonder if they were the ones that worked on core/core 2 or if intel gave it to another team.

Funny was when Pentium M at 50% lower clock was reaching performance of P4 while P-M was based on P3 architecture and was released much later than P4.
P4 is the reason why AMD had something to say for couple of years. Also P3 was great but price was high so most users were looking at Athlons that days.

yea, i still kinda miss my Dothan 720 oc'd to 2.4ghz with a ct-479 adapter in a Asus P4P800-SE.

that would be 1366 to 2011, since 1366 is the higher end. since starting with the first gen i's intel took a more amd approach. to have a low/mid range chipset/socket and then a high end one. your low/mid range would have started with 1156 then to 1555 to now 1150. it really wouldnt be a jump soly based on sockets it would be more do with the arch of the cpu. as in really this whole thing started with the Dothan cpu, which is a reworked p3 arch. what we basically have now is a highly tweaked/even more reworked P3 cpu, with alot of L3.

Perhaps you don't think the 1155 Sandybridge line out performed the 1366 line but you would be mistaken.

I have both as well as ivy and the 1155 series chipset cpu's are much faster cpu's then the 930 I7 I have @ 4.0ghz.

That's what i meant when i said Performance jump. many efficiency enhancements were made with sandy-bridge as well as overclock headroom.

A 300$ Sandy / Ivy Outperformed the 1000+$ 990x it was a good jump in performance if you ask me. but like i also said it comes down to what you needed from your pc aswell.

I dont think he was looking at it from a performance perspective, but a market perspective.

s1366(Nehalem CPUs) is enthusiast. s1156(Lynfield) was the 'mainstream' line. s2011(SBe/IBe) is the enthusiast platform. While s1155(SB/IB)/s1156(Haswell) is the mainstream line. s2011 was s1366's replacement on the enthusiast side of the house.

There was no doubt blurring of performance lines between the generational gaps you mention.

Back