• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Internet Explorer on Linux

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
yeah i'm a pretty big newb here... how do you use wine ? where does it install to ?

There used to be a version of IE for one of the Unix Flavors, I never checked to see which hardware it ran on, and I don't remember which OS. I doubt it'd work on Linux anyway, but it might. (It won't.)

There is an ActiveX control for Mozilla/Firefox...though I've never bothered with it.

I remember trying to install 3d studio in linux a few years back. Wine handled it fine, except that 3ds insisted on having IE, which refused to be installed via wine. I ended up sticking with windows till about 6 months ago, when i realized i never use the programs i needed windows for anymore, and then i switched to yoper. Been a happy man ever since ^_^

A couple of things to say here.
First, let me get this off my chest:

The Alt. OS area of these forums has always been good about NOT bashing windows on the whole, or bashing windows users or those who need windows apps that just will NOT (yet) work in linux.
Please let us keep it that way.

Next: Internet Exploder..errr, I mean Explorer ;) is still the most common browser in use worldwide. Not because it is the best, necessarily, but because most computer users don't know about alternatives or are unwilling for whatever reason to try them.
IE is NOT a standards compliant browser however. It has a whole lot of junk that is not compliant with the standards for web publishing that exist.
It may even be the least compliant browser that is commonly available.....

But, it does have features that some use and see the need for.
One thing that it has going for it is that if a website wants to do complex stuff and make sure that everything works fine for everyone that views it...well, the widest audience probably uses IE.

Personally, I plan on trying out some of the stuff in this thread to see if I can get it working....no current need per se, but I enjoy the challenge. ;)

Actually, this forum has a long tradition of hating/bashing windows. That's not to say we hate windows users, but lots of us hate windows, and this is where we come to be around like minded people.

That shouldn't mean we can't provide advice to people wishing to run Windows apps under Linux instead of just saying it's rubbish try something else.

MRD said:
Actually, this forum has a long tradition of hating/bashing windows. That's not to say we hate windows users, but lots of us hate windows, and this is where we come to be around like minded people.

Ok, I'll give you that.

I stand corrected.

But the other point stands that we don't bash those that do use windows apps. (other than busting chops just a bit ;)) and that we DO try to help get things working.

omg its just like microsoft to force stuff to work on ONLY their browser, i swear i hate M$ more and more every day, I wouldnt poison linux by putting MSIE on it..anything made by microsoft probably has some kind of linux killer virus in it to sabotage a linux machine.

Back