• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Using linux to fold.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You *can* sure, at least if you want to do CPU folding, but you're giving up overhead doing so. You'd be better off folding on the host, and if trying to only use some of the CPU cores you can set your core count as desired.

I don't know your experience with linux, but it might be simplest to just dual-boot with another HDD. The drive doesn't need to be large or fast if all you want to do is fold with linux. I've muddled my way through it in the past. Install linux on a drive, install geforce drivers, then install f@h client - pretty simple.

Yeah, I don't VM so I can't help with that. I've also had many Sudo, Oh Sh!t moments over the years too. :D
Several guys are familiar with both though, so actual help will come.

Can you use a VM running linux for folding? And does it give more points?
All my folding hosts are running native linux, mostly Ubuntu 20.04. Last time I was folding in VM was 10+ years ago. At the time, the GPU client only ran in windows and the CPU client was slightly more productive in Linux, even in a Linux VM.

Linux is still slightly more productive folding than windows, typically 10-15%, sometime more depending on the project.

Probably simplest to setup a spare disk or even buy a small SSD for Linux install. Some of my host are currently running on old 60GB SSD, dual boot XP64 and Ubuntu. The newer builds are on 128GB or 256GB SSD, dual boot W10 and Ubuntu. (Install W10 first, shrink the partition, then install Ubuntu).

That you for the info but I can't figure out how to set it up.:mad: Also which of the Invidia cards that are in the 30's can fold in sli?

Last edited:
That you for the info but I can't figure out how to set it up.:mad: Also which of the Invidia cards that are in the 30's can fold in sli?
You don't want to fold in sli. Really SLI has gone the way of the dodo for gaming so, if it was me, flr folding and gaming, just forget sli. Now, you can of course use more than 1 gpu on a system... but just don't make it sli. There's no point for folding or gaming. Iirc, 2020 was the last year for new sli profiles so.....

Also, Nvidia, not Invidia. :)

I'm saying moving forward, that detail (what cards sli) isn't relevant as you won't be putting them in sli for folding and don't need sli for gaming.
Post magically merged:

So it would not work to fold be removing the sli bridge?
Huh? As I said, if you remove the sli bridge amd remove sli setting the cards will still work as two individuals (what you want) for folding.

So does something like a 3070 work in sli? And it would give more points, right?
Bro, you asked the same things in slightly different ways. I'm not sure how to explain it different. :)

1. SLI is for games. As we've seen, it doesn't matter for folding as it appears you're getting the credit you deserve for the work of the two gpus. Short answer, NO SLI doesn't give more points.
2. SLI for games is dead. So moving forward, you do not need to worry about SLI, period. You could drop sli now, perhaps and run on one card for games. Do you game?? Why did you enable sli in the first place?
3. When you get two 3000 series cards to fold again, you should not put them in SLI.

Back