• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Using linux to fold.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I want to see a pic of the expression on your wife's face looking at YOUR farm...
Why do you think I try to donate hardware? While i certainly do it to help, she's always "you know, I think Best Buy has less stuff than you do" :rofl:

Thankfully, she's totally onboard with my folding. It was actually her input that swayed my decision when I undocked my fleet to go with folding instead of prime grid. To give background, 2 days ago she talked my ear off for an hour about how miss-folding proteins work in mad cow disease. You see, she works in a medical lab, and knows exactly what we do here. I always show her the news section cause she actually understands what all that news actually means. I just look at it and go 'ya, we doin good stuff' haha.

Why do you think I try to donate hardware? While i certainly do it to help, she's always "you know, I think Best Buy has less stuff than you do" :rofl:

Thankfully, she's totally onboard with my folding. It was actually her input that swayed my decision when I undocked my fleet to go with folding instead of prime grid. To give background, 2 days ago she talked my ear off for an hour about how miss-folding proteins work in mad cow disease. You see, she works in a medical lab, and knows exactly what we do here. I always show her the news section cause she actually understands what all that news actually means. I just look at it and go 'ya, we doin good stuff' haha.
So, you have rigs that you give away? I would like one.

Dang, sorry to hear of all the issues but Nvidia are ******** about their GPU's on linux and its a big part of why people tend to use AMD or Intel graphics.

Ubuntu is an ok server OS but im not sure i would use it as a desktop, or host for VM's.

If im going to setup a VM server I would use Proxmox as its web interface makes managing VM's dead simple.

For a desktop I would probably go with Manjaro, or Mint. Manjaro has a really good implimentation for nvidia cards that sucks slightly less than others even if its not perfect.

Dang, sorry to hear of all the issues but Nvidia are ******** about their GPU's on linux and its a big part of why people tend to use AMD or Intel graphics.

Ubuntu is an ok server OS but im not sure i would use it as a desktop, or host for VM's.

If im going to setup a VM server I would use Proxmox as its web interface makes managing VM's dead simple.

For a desktop I would probably go with Manjaro, or Mint. Manjaro has a really good implimentation for nvidia cards that sucks slightly less than others even if its not perfect.
I think you missed some posts...This is in reference to folding. You want to have an Nvidia GPU.... or 2...or 3...I think someone established earlier in the thread to run Linux on a HD and not in a VM.

I think you missed some posts...This is in reference to folding. You want to have an Nvidia GPU.... or 2...or 3...I think someone established earlier in the thread to run Linux on a HD and not in a VM.
Or 4. I built this ship a few years ago on Ubuntu 16.04 with 1080Ti's. Never had a problem with Nvidia drivers in Linux. AMD drivers? don't get me started :p

IMG_0216.JPG

Or 4. I built this ship a few years ago on Ubuntu 16.04 with 1080Ti's. Never had a problem with Nvidia drivers in Linux. AMD drivers? don't get me started :p

View attachment 364993
if you are installing AMD drivers in linux you are doing it wrong, they contribute directly to Mesa and no drivers are required unless you are running a professional gpu for a professional application and THEN and only then do you need their validated drivers.

if you are installing AMD drivers in linux you are doing it wrong, they contribute directly to Mesa and no drivers are required unless you are running a professional gpu for a professional application and THEN and only then do you need their validated drivers.
Really? you can fold on Mesa drivers? If that's the case you don't need Nvidia's drivers either.

I was using a 4GB Gorilla drive till it died. Tough little cookie. lasted me quite a few years. My new ones are 32 GB, not because I need that much space but because that's pretty much the smallest I could find. My how technology moves on.

Really? you can fold on Mesa drivers? If that's the case you don't need Nvidia's drivers either.
You still need rocm-opencl and because the FAH core uses an outdated core you will have to do the dumb workaround

and no, you need nvidia's drivers because they package their blobs so we can see their secrete sauce.

But AMD w/ Mesa and rocm should do the trick, you can still install AMD drivers or OpenCL package if you want but all the opensource stuff works.

You still need rocm-opencl and because the FAH core uses an outdated core you will have to do the dumb workaround

and no, you need nvidia's drivers because they package their blobs so we can see their secrete sauce.

But AMD w/ Mesa and rocm should do the trick, you can still install AMD drivers or OpenCL package if you want but all the opensource stuff works.
So you'll be joining us on our Team 32 ?:grouphug:

Last edited:
Back