• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Using linux to fold.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yes, I game. I did not remove the sli bridge.
One of two answered, so trying, lol...So, you enabled sli to game, is that correct?

If so, and *if* you need that extra horsepower (in games where it works), leave it enabled while you have the 1080s. After you upgrade just don't enable SLI as the new card should offer enough performance (gaming) to keep you satisfied (and sli is dead).

Checked my gpu for SLI connections. (SLI not enabled or bridges installed).

750Ti NO
970 YES
980Ti YES
1060 NO
1070 YES
1080T YES
1660TI NO
1660 Super NO
2060 NO
2070 NO
2070 Super YES
3070TI NO
3080Ti NO
4070Ti NO

I might look into 2 2070 supers in sli to fold only once my new gamming is finished.
SLI technology is for GAMING!!! Fuhgetaboutit already! SLI has nothing to do with F@H. SLI for gaming in 2023, is borderline ridiculous (IMO).

Curious, why did you pick 2070s? Feels random. I suggest you don't willy-nilly pick a card!!! a 2070 is barely faster than 1080Ti (it is more efficient)!!!!

If I was you, I'd look at something like the 4070 Super or something in this gen (or, listen to our inhouse experts - not me, Im googling this stuff for you). It's going to smoke 2 2070s, and use less power.....and it's a single card so you don't have to worry about "SLI" (for GAMES). It also allows you to add another in the future. The name of the game is every WU counts, but think about efficiency a bit.... though it may not fit your budget.

Your threads are all over the place, lol. Maybe let's return the focus to the thread title (Folding on Linux), and WHEN YOU'RE READY TO BUY, start a thread asking about which would be best with your budget. ;)

I have a question for the linux guys. Is there a distro that can be installed on a bootable thumb drive (64GB-128GB) with nothing but the chipset driver, geforce driver & the folding client?
I have a 8320 CPU, 990FX mobo, and GTX 970 (two if I switch back to a different case). It would be nice to leave my Win10 on the SSD as is & get the extra uplift from folding with linux. End of the day it's 1.1 to 1.5 million PPD, but could be fun to pursue.

Out of the box? not that I know of. There are a few 'minimalist' distros out there, but I think they still include several utilities. Since installing nvidia drivers also installs the windowing system i just roll with a GUI (Debian and Ubuntu). Something I do want to experiment with is setting up a headless system (one without a GUI) and just installing the Nvidia drivers and see how much else it actually installs.
Post magically merged:

The Yamoto has dual 4090s. 2 other of my ships have dual 4070Ti's. None of them use SLI bridges. From what I have read in the past the reason SLI has gone the way of the dodo bird is because the amount of overhead/latency with such technology makes the gains much less than 2 cards just doing their thing. Granted in games that means nothing as a game will only use 1 card to my knowledge but for folding I see no reason at all to use SLI.

@Flamethrower1972

Folding does not use SLI. GPU wu run on single GPU.

My linux 1080Ti make 2-3 million ppd each with power limit 180-200 watts.
My linux 2070 Super make 3-4 million ppd each with power limit 175 watts.
My linux 4070Ti make 12-15 million ppd each with power limit 235 watts.

Most of my hosts have 2x GPU, but the coolers on the newer cards are getting so wide, it is difficult to fit two of the new gpu on the same motherboard and still have enough space between the cards for decent cooling. It is a lot simpler to simply have one big gpu on a motherboard.

The only linux VM folding experience I have is on CPUs years ago, thinking C2D/C2Q and maybe first gen i7 (4C/8T). At the time I created a VM installed linux then the FAH software.

Folding@home software has links to alternative downloads (linux + ARM + MAC) and additional platforms at the bottom of the page.

The Docker for GPUs link has info on Folding@home GPU Container.

Most of my hosts have 2x GPU, but the coolers on the newer cards are getting so wide, it is difficult to fit two of the new gpu on the same motherboard and still have enough space between the cards for decent cooling. It is a lot simpler to simply have one big gpu on a motherboard.

Duude, tell me about it. It's why I started using a Lian Li case with vertical-mounted GPU and yep, 1 4090 per box.

The case: https://www.microcenter.com/product...red_Glass_ATX_Mid-Tower_Computer_Case_-_Black
The riser: https://www.microcenter.com/product...m)_For_all_Lian_Li_Vertical_Mount_Accessories

@JLK03F150 Long time ago, tried linux cpu folding on bootable thumb drive. Had to setup persistence to have the config/changes saved through a reboot. The boot process was very slow.... Small SSD would would work much better and easier to setup.

You know, if you don't mind of course, I'd love to see pics of your farm. All those lovely GPUs just chuggin away. It's my version of 'adult material' haha

Currently 15 active hosts with 28 GPU folding. Some of the space heater hosts run whenever cool enough to turn off the A/C and open the windows which looks like tonight. Will get a few recent pics of a few hosts and post later today.

So, what is the total wattage with all your folding rigs on? I have also given up on trying to install ubuntu on my rig I have never used the F@H on 22.04.:bang head

Not sure of the wattage, likely around 5K, without the extra space heater GPU ....

Most of my farm is on Ubuntu 20.04, upgraded from U16 or U18. Been a while since I made any new builds. Easy to get FAH setup on U18, then upgrade to U20. Have one host upgraded to U22.04, which folds ok, but has some error messages during boot. Perhaps try U18, get FAH working, and upgrade to U20.04, which is still supported to April 2025.

You know, if you don't mind of course, I'd love to see pics of your farm. All those lovely GPUs just chuggin away. It's my version of 'adult material' haha
I want to see a pic of the expression on your wife's face looking at YOUR farm...

Something along the lines of Hands on the hips and a look of disdain...is what I picture. :D
Post magically merged:

Ok I'm done.:)
Earthdog once banned a member for looking at him wrong...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::chair:

I got ubuntu installed in a vm and the F@H installed but if folds on the CPU and I don't want to I want the 2 GPU'S to fold just a pain. :bang head

Which version of Linux and FAH?
Do you have FAHControl installed?
Is the Nvidia GPU driver installed in the VM?

Back