• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Using linux to fold.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I would first verify your VM is even using or seeing your GPU. Most hypervisors use their own virtual GPU. However, to be sure, open up a terminal and type in the following command: lscpi | grep VGA. You should then get output showing what VGA the system is detecting.

As far as the drivers go, if you did not install them then they are not installed. That's not the sort of thing that gets installed out of the box so to speak.

I would first verify your VM is even using or seeing your GPU. Most hypervisors use their own virtual GPU. However, to be sure, open up a terminal and type in the following command: lscpi | grep VGA. You should then get output showing what VGA the system is detecting.

As far as the drivers go, if you did not install them then they are not installed. That's not the sort of thing that gets installed out of the box so to speak.
That did not work? And when ubuntu was being installed the programs, drivers etc. installed.

When you say it did not work, what exactly do you mean? did you get no output from the statement at all? did you get nonsensical data? did you get an error about the command itself?

can you either show a clip of the data you got or re-type it if it's not to long? if it didn't show your Nvidia GPU it's likely displaying how it has identified the virtual GPU, but I would need to know what the output said before advising further

The default driver, X.Org x server - Nouveau, does not support folding.

The nvidia proprietary driver needs to be installed. In settings, select the "additional drivers" tab.
There should be list of nvidia drivers, IF the VM supports the nvidia gpu.
The newest linux Nvidia driver is 545 series (545.29.06).
The Software Updater has a shortcut to Settings.

Which FAH version did you install?

Set the CPU slot to finish, then pause the slot.

The beginning of the FAH log will show the FAH version and some system info.

20:02:36:****************************** FAHClient ******************************
20:02:36: Version: 7.6.21

20:02:36:******************************* System ********************************
20:02:36: CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1265L V2 @ 2.50GHz
20:02:36: CPU ID: GenuineIntel Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
20:02:36: CPUs: 8
20:02:36: Memory: 31.29GiB
20:02:36: Free Memory: 30.23GiB
20:02:36: Threads: POSIX_THREADS
20:02:36: OS Version: 5.4
20:02:36: Has Battery: false
20:02:36: On Battery: false
20:02:36: UTC Offset: -6
20:02:36: PID: 1388
20:02:36: CWD: /var/lib/fahclient
20:02:36: OS: Linux 5.4.0-169-generic x86_64
20:02:36: OS Arch: AMD64
20:02:36: GPUs: 2
20:02:36: GPU 0: Bus:1 Slot:0 Func:0 NVIDIA:7 GP102 [GeForce GTX 1080 Ti] 11380
20:02:36: GPU 1: Bus:2 Slot:0 Func:0 NVIDIA:7 GP102 [GeForce GTX 1080 Ti] 11380
20:02:36: CUDA Device 0: Platform:0 Device:0 Bus:1 Slot:0 Compute:6.1 Driver:12.3
20:02:36: CUDA Device 1: Platform:0 Device:1 Bus:2 Slot:0 Compute:6.1 Driver:12.3
20:02:36:OpenCL Device 0: Platform:0 Device:0 Bus:1 Slot:0 Compute:3.0 Driver:545.29
20:02:36:OpenCL Device 1: Platform:0 Device:1 Bus:2 Slot:0 Compute:3.0 Driver:545.29
20:02:36:***********************************************************************
Post magically merged:

I control my folding farm using FAHControl on my W10 laptop. Each of the linux hosts also has FAHControl installed, useful for working on the host or setting things up.

Yes, the app runs put it only folds on the cpu and I don't want that.
Post magically merged:

He u go.

Attachments

• 20240112_185504[1].jpg
    20240112_185504[1].jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 6
That is FAHControl. Looks like 7.6.21. The "About" in upper right corner will show the version.
You can use the big "Finish" button to finish the current wu and not start another. After the wu completes, use the big "Pause" button to pause the slot and not download new wu next time FAH starts. When there is more than one slot, you can right click on individuual slot to get a menu with the fold/pause/finish commands.

The top of the log will show the system info detected by FAH. You will need to uncheck the "follow" box in lower right corner of the of the log viewer and hit "refresh" to get to top of the log.

Are the GPUs detected?

That is FAHControl. Looks like 7.6.21. The "About" in upper right corner will show the version.
You can use the big "Finish" button to finish the current wu and not start another. After the wu completes, use the big "Pause" button to pause the slot and not download new wu next time FAH starts. When there is more than one slot, you can right click on individuual slot to get a menu with the fold/pause/finish commands.

The top of the log will show the system info detected by FAH. You will need to uncheck the "follow" box in lower right corner of the of the log viewer and hit "refresh" to get to top of the log.

Are the GPUs detected?
It's the most current version and it does not detect gpus.

Did the Ubuntu Software Updater - Settings - Additional Drivers show any Nvidia GPU or drivers?

Did you go to Settings - Additional Drivers. The default graphics is X.Org X Server - Nouveau. If the Nvidia gpu are detected there will be a list of Nvidia drivers available to install.

Back