• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Internet speed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Time-Bandit

Hi there,

I am wanting to query internet speeds, when I do a speedtest online it says 12.5 down and like 1.5up how come when I actually download a file its never even close to those figures max speed I ever get is like 1.5-2mb if im lucky.

Also I found out im using a cat5 would going to cat7 actually change anything or is this just standard? apparently my connection goes up to 24mbs so the plan with my ISP says im using WAG120N router abit of an oldie.

Cheers,

Bandit

Are you sure you are converting bytes to bits? Speed tests are generally ran in Megabits per second. When you download on a browser/torrent/etc it is in Megabytes per second. Take your bits, divide by 8 = your Megabytes/s speed.

Regarding the cable cat5 is fine, if you are paying for a 24mbps plan then getting cat7 will make no difference. The router is about 9 years old and the LAN ports are only 100mbit as well. It certainly would not hurt to upgrade to a better/newer router. You wouldn't have to spend a ton of money to get something better. You can go to smallnetbuilder to get an idea of the various routers on the market, their reviews, and find one that fits your budget.

Back