• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is an AM3+ motherboard compatible with an AM3 socket processor?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MarkS

I am building a computer for my mother. This is going to be my first AMD build and I have to admit that AMD's socket designations suck!

This build does not have to be all that powerful and money is the bigger issue, so I want to go with a quad-core AM3 processor. However, the AM3+ motherboards typically have the best features. I am thinking about upgradability, as this will probably be mine at some point.

Is it possible to use an AM3 processor in an AM3+ board?

Thanks.

One thing I like about intel's socket designations is that you can easily tell if the processor will work or not. A 775 processor has 775 pads and will not fit on a 2011 socket with 2011 pads. What is an AM2 or AM3 or God forbid, an FM1? :screwy:

Yes and AFAIK you can also use an AM2/+ processor on a AM3/+ board.

No you can't. The AM3/AM3+ boards use DDR3 ram and the AM2+ CPUs only use DDR2. It all hinges on the IMC which had not been developed for DDR3 until the AM3 CPUs came out. However, you can run an AM3 CPU on an AM2+ board because the AM3 CPUs have a memory controller that encompasses the earlier DDR2 ram technology, i.e., it's downwardly compatible.

Last edited:
No you can't. The AM3/AM3+ boards use DDR3 ram and the AM2+ CPUs only use DDR2. It all hinges on the IMC which had not been developed for DDR3 until the AM3 CPUs came out. However, you an run an AM3 CPU on an AM2+ board because the AM3 CPUs have a memory controller that encompasses the earlier DDR2 ram technology, i.e., it's downwardly compatible.

I stand corrected, thank you trents.

One thing I like about intel's socket designations is that you can easily tell if the processor will work or not. A 775 processor has 775 pads and will not fit on a 2011 socket with 2011 pads. What is an AM2 or AM3 or God forbid, an FM1? :screwy:

This is one of the things most AMD guys like about the company...
You don't need to change the motherboard everytime a new chip comes out. :sly:

Yes, it requires some bios support from the mobo manufacturers, and a little research from the end user.
In the end though, thats a whole lot easier on the wallet (and less hassle) than having to buy a new board everytime they decide to change sockets... :screwy:

The jump from AM2 to AM3+ represents several years of processor developement and yet, many older boards can support new revision CPU's...

The change from Deneb/Thuban to Bulldozer was a HUGE leap (for better or worse), and yet my Crosshair IV handles an 8120 without problems...
Similar timeline... Lets see you put a 775 chip in a 2011 board. :eek:

As for the FM1 derivative, that was a major change to APU's!
Meaning there was a GPU included on the die, like it or not I'm pretty sure anyone could see where this would require a new socket... :-/

I'll admit, I may be ranting a little here, but dissing AMD for keeping socket compatabilty is NOT a negative in my eyes...

I'll admit, I may be ranting a little here, but dissing AMD for keeping socket compatabilty is NOT a negative in my eyes...

I wasn't dissing AMD for keeping socket compatibility. I was, however, dissing AMD for using vague and non-descriptive socket designations. ;) Socket compatibility is a good thing.

I wasn't dissing AMD for keeping socket compatibility. I was, however, dissing AMD for using vague and non-descriptive socket designations. ;) Socket compatibility is a good thing.

How do you mean "vague" and "non-descriptive socket designations"? Seems pretty straight forward to me. How is Intel's method if socket ID better than AMD's? My only complaint with AMD's socket technology is that the bolt pattern is rectangular rather than square so that most coolers will only mount in one direction. This can cause problems if you don't have case fans in the top panel.

yeah, all am2/3's are the same socket. even for aftermarket coolers. even if it says for am2, you can use it on the am3+ cuz the mounts are identical. There are restrictions on what cpu can go where but there's so many combinations of board configs you should find something to fit your needs and be allowed to upgrade later.

Last edited:
No you can't. The AM3/AM3+ boards use DDR3 ram and the AM2+ CPUs only use DDR2. It all hinges on the IMC which had not been developed for DDR3 until the AM3 CPUs came out. However, you can run an AM3 CPU on an AM2+ board because the AM3 CPUs have a memory controller that encompasses the earlier DDR2 ram technology, i.e., it's downwardly compatible.

the term is "backward compatible" just to be technical and to make it sound what it is, NOT a BAD thing.

the term is "backward compatible" just to be technical and to make it sound what it is, NOT a BAD thing.

Thanks. Technically, you are right and I stand corrected. But, I'm not sure that "backward" sounds any better than "downwardly". "Backward" sounds like a social handicap to me. Oh well, onward and upward or rather, onward and forward.

Thanks. Technically, you are right and I stand corrected. But, I'm not sure that "backward" sounds any better than "downwardly". "Backward" sounds like a social handicap to me. Oh well, onward and upward or rather, onward and forward.

I like "forward" better. I'm a bit overweight so I don't get "upward" very well :)

And I have always liked the way AMD designed their systems. The fact that you don't have to buy a new MOBO with every CPU upgrade is nice. They have the sense to build their MOBOS with future capability and specs so you can put a couple or few generations of CPUs in and not lose, but gain, capability and performance.

Despite the somewhat disappointing performance of the bulldozer, they are fun to play with and overclock nicely. Ultimately they perform well. The upcoming piledriver and steamroller should be exciting. The 1st piledriver, I hear will have 15-20% performance improvement over the 8150 and about same pricepoint AND goes into the AM3+ socket. When's it coming? a couple/few months?

I like "forward" better. I'm a bit overweight so I don't get "upward" very well :)

And I have always liked the way AMD designed their systems. The fact that you don't have to buy a new MOBO with every CPU upgrade is nice. They have the sense to build their MOBOS with future capability and specs so you can put a couple or few generations of CPUs in and not lose, but gain, capability and performance.

Despite the somewhat disappointing performance of the bulldozer, they are fun to play with and overclock nicely. Ultimately they perform well. The upcoming piledriver and steamroller should be exciting. The 1st piledriver, I hear will have 15-20% performance improvement over the 8150 and about same pricepoint AND goes into the AM3+ socket. When's it coming? a couple/few months?

+1^ We don't want to labor on Labor Day, do we!

Is it possible to use an AM3 processor in an AM3+ board?

If you don't mind my wading in on this question, even though it's a tad old by now.

It seems to me there's more to the answer than simple socket compatibility, or more generally hardware compatibility. I believe there is also the little issue of BIOS recognizing the processor.

Since you are asking the question I wondered whether you could find the motherboard specs on a mfr's website which would be the easy and drama-free way to answer it. On the assumption you couldn't, the most likely reason would be it's an OEM board.

OEM's are famous for sourcing very capable motherboards from big names and then crippling them in a proprietary BIOS so that they can only be marketed in a narrow performance band, forcing you to buy new to make significant changes in performance.

So there is also that little matter to contend with. but since it is kinda old question I assume you've finalized the answer...

This is all moot. I went ahead and went with the FX-8150. I'm expecting delivery on Wednesday.

Nice choice. despite what the Intel fanbiois will tell you, it is a nice chip. I decided to go with the 95 watt 8120 for cooling purposes, but it runs pretty close to the 8150.

Nice choice. despite what the Intel fanbiois will tell you, it is a nice chip. I decided to go with the 95 watt 8120 for cooling purposes, but it runs pretty close to the 8150.

I'm not a fanboy of either AMD or Intel. This build was based on as much performance as I could get reasonably cheaply. I looked at all of the 1-egg reviews on NewEgg and much to my surprise, most of them were not from verified owners. Now, all that could mean is that the reviewers bought the CPU somewhere else, but then, why spend the time to review a CPU on a site that you didn't buy it from? Something didn't add up. It may not be the fastest system out there once I get it built, but my last system was based on a Pentium 805D CPU and I am currently using a very crappy laptop. It will be like going from a 386 machine to a Cray.

I'm going to eventually use a Corsair H80 for cooling. One thing that was consistent in the reviews was the crappy heatsink that AMD includes.

I'm not sure about what comes with the 8150, but the 8120 stock heatsink is nice (didnt use it had another one). But no stock coolers are really adequate if you are gonna OC. The 8120's was a 3 pipe with a nice, flat, polished copper base upon which sat the standard (but larger) aluminum block and, I think it was an 92 MM fan. I actually sold my 4100 and threw that heatsink in with it and the guy says it works really well.

And it doesn't help that it is a 125 watt chip. stock would, obviously be adequate for everyday use, otherwise they wouldn't include it in the box. As for crappy, I doubt it. as you said most of the reviews weren't from verified owners, so it could just be people trashing it for the sake of trashing it (like that doesn't happen).

Kinda an example, do you realize there are thousands of people who are paid by various PAC and SuperPACS to do nothing but spread lies and trash every idea or person who oppose their agenda? NO f-ing way!, right? Yep. There are just unethical peeps out there.

Personally, I haven't owned an Intel product since, like '91. I don't trash them, I just can't afford them. I must say THEY used to be the innovators of cutting edge chips - coming up with the "next thing" and everyone copied them. Now, They take technology developed by AMD and improve on it. Kinda like the Japanese. They didn't invent the radio, they just made it better. :)

Back