• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is dry ice an all-or-nothing method?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The same thing as with DI/LN2 (artist erased around the socket/back of the mobo). However, you dont have to cover as much area with only a slush bucket.

Ahh okay.

For some reason I was thinking a fan would be involved. I always see them in cold run screens. Does the condensation every creep along the tube to spot not insulated?

I dont understand your question? What tube? Water cooling tubes? I have never insulated those is that is what you are talking about...

The condensation will creep where ever there is air contacting a material which is at or below the dewpoint. So it's safe to assume anything that is in contact with whatever your coolant is, will at some point start getting condensation.

@ OCmusic, I think if you wanted to run for a half hour or so using a stock cooler and putting DIce on top, you could get away with minimal insulation and really get a quick feel for the subzero freedom. I wouldn't push it much longer than that time frame though. One important thing to remember, is that water is your only enemy. Ice, by nature, doesn't conduct electricity well at all. You can have a totally iced board and run (it will probably be buggy, but it'll run). But as soon as that ice melts, you're in for a world of hurt.

Ps. I have done something similar when I put DIce onto my ram sinks (which I'm sure a lot of people have done). No insulation used there, and I was alright).

IMG_20130126_162315.jpg

That's pretty much it, let it sit upside down overnight and it is generally fine. Add in a hair dryer and should be OK. Always worth double/triple checking. Especially if you leave your VRM heatsinks and such on as water likes to hide.

I agree with Janus 100%. I've only ever done a same-day startup with a wet board once, and that was after hitting that thing with a HOT hair dryer for a half hour. The board was almost too hot to touch when I was done, so I knew the water was evaporated.

For clean up, I generally pull the put while it it still sub zero (if you wait for ambient temperatures, you'll have a big puddle). Once I pull the pot, I pull all insulation off except for eraser (if I used it), and then I put all the iced up hardware into a sink to dry off over night.

With Chance on this - to get a taste you could drop some DICE on a heatsink for a slight advantage. Preferably one without heatpipes, but even if it had heatpipes, just be mindful not to freeze it (I've frozen heatpipes benching outside in the winter, then temps skyrocket).

But if you get a cheap pot, you'll probably be hooked. Overclocking on sub-ambient is wild - its an exciting feeling seeing the clocks go up so easily and cranking the voltage.

I'll be doing a stream soon. I am hoping to get a small fill tomorrow (50 liters), and I may be running/streaming tomorrow night. AMD - 960T, unlocked to 5 or 6 cores, focused just on running wprime32 or wprime1024.

The stream would likely start at 9PM EST, and may go for an hour or two - not much longer as I don't have much to get done. Would be a good session to watch though, as I can bench Phenom II's in my sleep, so I should be able to keep up with the stream chat well.

I'll post to verify if I get the fill, and if I get it, I will post the streaming link here.

If it doesn't work out for tomorrow, then my next stream will be in a week or two - I'm picking up a 4770K tomorrow at Microcenter, then I'm just waiting for Asus to send me a board from Taiwan. Gave them my shipping info today, so that board could show up in a couple weeks, or it could be in a couple days... Sometimes they put it on a slow boat, other times they next day it. I don't even know what they are sending - I just asked for a leftover pre-production/non-final board I can use with LN2. This stream will likely not be a good one to watch, it will probably be full of fail, boot problems, and me figuring out what the heck I'm doing on Haswell for the first time so I probably won't be as chatty, except to get help from people who have at least ran Haswell on air.

Thanks for the help guys. Am going to start planning on a real cold benching session, but may just try a few wp32 and sp1m runs with a touch of dice this weekend to get used to the idea of having a finite amount of time with the system not all nice and tidy on my computer desk.

Chance, thanks for sharing the firsthand experience... if you could keep things dry for a short time with it on top of the memory, I'm sure if I'm attentive to things it should be okay for the trial run here. I hadn't thought about the frozen vs liquid conductivity being much different. That's good info. Essentially sounds like I should be trying to flip the power when it's still at the coldest point to be safe.

Also realize that high loads can warm things up and cause moisture in the middle of a stressful bench. So keep an eye on it.

Just had a solution for making this safer come to me out of the blue.

If I use a taller cooler and place it upside down with the cooler sitting on top of a piece of dice, the temps shouldn't drop low enough at the board to cause direct condensation, and the water won't have any way to drip down from above....:D

Back