• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is there a reason i shouldnt get a 360mm AIO?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Niku-Sama

just like the title says. i'm thinking of getting a 360mm AIO (or close to that size with 3 fans) is there a reason I shouldn't?

and if not are there any suggestions?

I imagine i'd run it for a while, it'd probably go through several builds like my air coolers have, I just figured I have the room for it why not

Mine is a pretty cheap one, but it keeps me at 80C or lower with my OC running Handbrake. If I (have to) replace it I'll go with a 360 custom loop because I can't see going smaller for an AIO again.

I imagine i'd run it for a while, it'd probably go through several builds like my air coolers have, I just figured I have the room for it why not

My main concern for AIO over Air is longevity. Air coolers NEVER fail, fans are replaceable. Most AIO's have about a 2-3 year warranty and then you're expected to replace them after they begin to fail. If you're planning this purchase to last "several builds" then I would second guess an AIO.

My limited experience tends toward agreeing with this. My h100i made it 5 years or so. Which seems to be the outer limit from what I've seen others report online. I'm at 2+ years on my current AIO with zero hiccups, but when (not if) it does die I'll report it here at OCF to add to the general knowledge. Deepcool has changed the design slightly a couple times already, so I'm kind of prepared for it in the near future. LOL

My main concern for AIO over Air is longevity. Air coolers NEVER fail, fans are replaceable. Most AIO's have about a 2-3 year warranty and then you're expected to replace them after they begin to fail. If you're planning this purchase to last "several builds" then I would second guess an AIO.

My limited experience tends toward agreeing with this. My h100i made it 5 years or so. Which seems to be the outer limit from what I've seen others report online. I'm at 2+ years on my current AIO with zero hiccups, but when (not if) it does die I'll report it here at OCF to add to the general knowledge. Deepcool has changed the design slightly a couple times already, so I'm kind of prepared for it in the near future. LOL

ok so what about an AIO that is "expandable"?
what I am thinking is that the rad shouldn't ever rot out if your using the right coolants and what not, its mainly the pump and, to a lesser extent, the lines

I cant remember the name of it but I found a Swiftech 360mm AIO for a ok price that's like this

:shrug: I don't understand? Is this the same as saying AIO's never fail, parts are replaceable?

Most AIO's do not have replaceable pumps. I'm not suggesting that you shouldn't buy them because they have come a long way. All that I was saying is that you won't be able to use the same one for generations of builds like you can with aircoolers.

My AIO purchase was based on the longevity of the previous one. If I get 5 years out of it it will have cost $24 a year for what has been a decent performing 360 mm set up. It didn't cost much more than a top tier air cooler and I'm not convinced an air cooler would have done as well for my particular environment.

Air coolers NEVER fail, fans are replaceable.

Heatpipe air coolers will fail over time in the respect they loose the liquid in the tubes, I have had many fail!

A friend of mine and I conducted an experiment with heatpipe coolers that were no longer getting the job done so we cut into the pipes to see if there was any fluid left in them, they were all bone dry.

Where the fluid went?

We don't know, but they do not last forever!

The only air coolers that are long term reliable are the fixed fin type, but they are not powerful enough for todays CPUs.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

There's no way I would buy another AIO cooler! You get what you pay for!

I still been needing to pick up one to try...some cases have plenty of room for one, and I got plenty of room on my desk/table for one. It probably does help.

After reading this article I would guess that the amount of liquid phase coolant in the heat pipes is very small and mostly contained in the grooves, sintering, or mesh via capillary action. Furthermore in an open atmosphere the coolant may evaporate rapidly, as I believe the heat pipe is basically a vacuum when sealed. As they are designed to have the liquid evaporate when exposed to heat, I believe that cutting could introduce enough heat to cause the phase change (evaporation) while also allowing the coolant to exit the heat pipe without condensing back to a liquid by breaking the seal.

Did you notice a degradation in performance associated with age Silver Surfer? I think it's totally plausible that given enough time time the coolant would evaporate, but I'm not sure that cutting them open would provide any useful information about this for the reasons stated above.

edit: sorry for the derail OP, mods feel free to can this post or split it.

Did you notice a degradation in performance associated with age Silver Surfer? I think it's totally plausible that given enough time time the coolant would evaporate, but I'm not sure that cutting them open would provide any useful information about this for the reasons stated above.

Yes their performance was so degraded over time they were useless so that's why we decided to cut the pipes open and check out if any fluid was left.
We cut more than just one brand including a fairly new one to use as a control.

At one point we were contemplating doing an article on it, but decided there wasn't enough interest to invest the time and additional money to proceed, so we trashed everything, and chocked it up as a self learning experience.

What we discovered inside those heat pipes was very interesting and is a direct correlation to the coolers actual price, as manufacturing costs vary depending on which type of internals the pipes have inside, most all of the higher priced coolers have the sintered internals.

The cheaper ones had the grooves inside, and we never found a wire mesh one.

That's a good article you linked, one of the best I've seen describing the heat pipe cooler.

Last edited:
Unless it was dual gpu setup in series...I would use the 360mm then maybe. But really the 240mm is enough. Using one of the thicker 240mm's too. that other one was a little thinner...and flip the fans around and suck Preferably...don't build up that dust as bad.

but i have so much room!

saying that gave me a bad idea though, i cant remember if the manufacturer said one 360mm and two 240mm rads or two 360mm and one 240mm rads would fit taking up all the spots

Back