• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is there a reason i shouldnt get a 360mm AIO?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I ran the original H100 for about 5 years, and when it was new I swore it was better than air, but I was using 120x38s in push and push/pull (2 and 4). I retired it and gave it to my brother last December, and he is happy with it. I bought a Le Grand Macho RT to replace the H100 and was completely satisfied. I then bought a True Spirit 140 Power and TY143 because I was curious how the TS140P was rated for more power than the monster LGMRT while looking to be so much smaller. So.. air is better than a worn out clc that was abused with a monster clocking Westmere, definitely. I don't miss it, and I have grown to heart my coolers, they are bad ***, and bring me satisfaction daily :D Would I consider going back to a clc? Probably not.

well now that you mention it!
ocf review!

yeesh, never mind!

I ran the original H100 for about 5 years, and when it was new I swore it was better than air, but I was using 120x38s in push and push/pull (2 and 4). I retired it and gave it to my brother last December, and he is happy with it. I bought a Le Grand Macho RT to replace the H100 and was completely satisfied. I then bought a True Spirit 140 Power and TY143 because I was curious how the TS140P was rated for more power than the monster LGMRT while looking to be so much smaller. So.. air is better than a worn out clc that was abused with a monster clocking Westmere, definitely. I don't miss it, and I have grown to heart my coolers, they are bad ***, and bring me satisfaction daily :D Would I consider going back to a clc? Probably not.

i already have a huge air cooler and unless its a scythe orochi copper i want to go another route

i hear ya, i was definitely expecting far more myself. with such a nice rad it should be much better. if your dead set on a 420mm rad youll likely have to go custom or move back down to a 360mm aio rad( really not much smaller).

no not dead set on 420mm i just happened to notice it and knew it would fit in the case.
There were a lot of new 360's introduced at CES, and there was an enermax that stood out to me, liq something 2. I remember seeing a Tr4 only version but they introduced a sane persons socket (am3/4, other intel ones) kit finally

My limited experience tends toward agreeing with this. My h100i made it 5 years or so. Which seems to be the outer limit from what I've seen others report online. I'm at 2+ years on my current AIO with zero hiccups, but when (not if) it does die I'll report it here at OCF to add to the general knowledge. Deepcool has changed the design slightly a couple times already, so I'm kind of prepared for it in the near future. LOL

hi man, mi h100i is dying too lool 5 years..A month or two more than that ahah

Yeah, it seems the biggest engineering advance in the last decade or so is building parts without spending one extra cent in "overbuilt" components.

No high temps, things just aren't built to last anymore. Hard drive warranties have declined, too. A warranty used to indicate the minimum expected lifespan of an item. Now it's the max. I'm sure a large part of the trend is keeping prices down. I'm sure someone could design and build a AIO that lasts 10 years, but the cost would be more than buying two 5 year units.

No high temps, things just aren't built to last anymore. Hard drive warranties have declined, too. A warranty used to indicate the minimum expected lifespan of an item. Now it's the max. I'm sure a large part of the trend is keeping prices down. I'm sure someone could design and build a AIO that lasts 10 years, but the cost would be more than buying two 5 year units.

I agree with you mate.

Enermax seems to be trying to address the biggest issue with AIOs in general, pump flow rate. It's usually not the fans that limit them, it's the pump not moving enough water fast enough.

thats why i was hoping they would redo their TR4 version for us regular dudes and dudettes

Last edited:
Thickness is part of it... however a bigger part is FPI...

If the rad has high FPI, then more airflow will likely help.

ya got me on that, no idea on FPI...

I guess i can only research so much before i just have to just try it. i got my checks after business hours on friday and monday is a holiday i might just pull from savings and order later

ok so i couldnt bring my self to get that enermax with reports of the TR4 version clogging up or other wise failing after 3 months.

I wound up getting a fractal design celsius s36

weird problem though when i first got it i plugged it into the "high amperage" pump header and it was unstable at any speed. how ever on the board i have an 8 + 4 Pin "CPU" power and i only had the 8 pin plugged in as my PSU didnt have another 4 pin to use. Got an adapter and things are better but i cant get my ram back to the 3600Mhz (19-22-22-22 45 1.4v) that i had before the AIO went in.

how ever if i go back to the stock cooler and eliminate the AIO i can get to my old 3600Mhz no problem

My thinking is that the extra 4 pin "CPU" power on the mobo isnt for the CPU but for the rest of the things on the board and since i am running 2 nvme drives, ram at 3600 Mhz and i added this pump and 3 120mm fans on one header it just cant handle it all onboard and i am thinking the "high current pump header" is also running off of my ram mosfet. hence the weird stability things, cant check that to be sure though (no working o scope)

so what are my options on powering it externally? should i rig up a molex fan adapter and run the 2 speed and PWM wires to the mobo separately so it runs power off the PSU instead of trying to get juice from an overloaded vrm on the mobo?

On the plus side at stock speeds and 3333Mhz ram (same timings) its only getting up to about upper mid 30s low 40s in game, i have a bit much juice going into the cpu at the moment though.

Specs:
MSI X470 Gaming Plus
R5 2600 (stock)
16 Gig G.Skill Sniper X 3600Mhz (19-22-22-22 45)
FD Celsius s36 AIO
ADATA SX 8200 240 gig NVME (boot)
HP EX920 512 gig NVME (storage)
1 TB Toshiba green HDD
1 LG DVD burner
Gigabyte Blower GTX 1080
COrsair CX750 PSU

Last edited:
how about a fan hub or controller of some kind thats powered by the psu? would removing the fans take off enough juice to allow the mb to function properly?

thats what i am aiming for, running the power and ground off of the PSU. i just dont need a bunch of hook ups i just need one, and i cant seem to find a molex/sata power to 4 pin that will run a speed/pwm wire to the mobo header.
I tried a molex to three pin expecting everything to run at full speed and nothing came on, my guess is PWM is required for it to operate and it would be nice to still control that with the mobo while pulling juice directly from the PSU.

any other AIO i've used just operates at full speed when using a 3 pin, i wonder why this is different

I have this going in my system and it works as intended. I have 5 fans plugged into it and it's powered directly by the PSU and attached to the CPU fan connector. This is only like $10 from amazon. It could free up some of your power issues.

pwm splitter.JPG

Attachments

• pwm splitter.JPG
    pwm splitter.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 88
hmm no idea why the 3pin wouldnt work unless the wires are differently oriented than normal.
yep i would go with a hub for both the fans and pump. im running a pair of splitty 9s. it allows for both 4 pin pwm and 3 pin voltage control(looks like the one dapoets linked to does as well). i run one for my 3 rad fans up top along with both d5 pumps and the second controls the remaining 6 rad fans. each from an individual mb header. one from the cpu and the other from the pump header(d5s and 3 fans). both are running strictly pwm fans but ive used it with 3 pin fans. i used speedfan to adjust fan speed on the 3 pins i used to have and it worked great. all of my builds from here on out will be using some kind of hub just to make things easier(also have a swiftech that works great). the swiftech hub runs off of sata so it may be a better option. GL!

Back