• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is there any benefit to buying this newer revision motherboard?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

beyondinfinity

Registered
I'm looking at this motherboard specifically GIGABYTE GA-Z170N-Gaming 5

However on Newegg.ca they have listed it as Rev 1.0, whereas my local computer stores don't list the revision on their website. So I checked Gigabyte website and they have listed it as Rev 1.1

Should I go out of my way to get the Rev1.1? (which I assume is the latest) What is the upgrade or change to the motherboard since Rev 1.0?

Or is it safe to use Rev 1.0?

EDIT - I found the difference in their specification by copying the specs from each revision and comparing the text in WinMerge. I found one line of difference, that being

Rev1.0 - Killer E2201 chip (10/100/1000 Mbit)
Rev1.1 - Killer E2400 chip (10/100/1000 Mbit)

What does this mean? What impact will this have if any on the system?

Last edited:
The Killer "E" chip is a LAN controller. Killer LAN enables you to prioritize network traffic in order to optimize online gaming. There have been problems with the drivers that can lead to system instability. Perhaps the E2400 addresses this.

http://www.killernetworking.com/ Watch the video.

when you get the box in your hands, there should be an small area, most of the time it's on an end, where it will list the board specs with the rev number.

My Giga board has an Intel and a Killer LAN. I just skipped installing the drivers for the Killer because of the history of problems with it. I just use the Intel and it seems to work.

Looks like the G5 has Intel and killer as well

UD5 is dual Intel, one of the reasons it is a few more bucks

Back