• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is your tubing kinking?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Does your tubing kink?

• Yes

Votes: 17 8.3%
  • No

Votes: 143 69.8%
  • I need extra tubing

Votes: 6 2.9%
  • I need hose clamps or zip ties

Votes: 17 8.3%
  • Other: post what you do

Votes: 12 5.9%
  • I need to use elbows

Votes: 10 4.9%

• Total voters
I dont have tubing :D

Well I should I say I dont have tubing yet lol I dont just splash water in :D

Ill vote and let everyone know when I do have it :)

i've had a huge kink in my set up since it was put together (november '02)i'll be removing my NB in a few weeks so i will fix it then.

haven't taken my system apart since then so i didn't fix it. it's between my CPU and my NB.

even with it my temps only get above 35 C when it's around 32C outside. normally it stays around 31-32 idle.(according to MBM5)

: ) :

I don't have kinks but I had to solve this problem: My heater core-shrouds-fans assembly run cross case, so the heater core needed angled barbs to make it easier for the tubes to make the 180° turn. I hack-sawed off the chevette barbs and jb-welded on ordinary 45° angle copper pipe joints found at any hardware store. These joints have an ID, at narrowest, of a clean 1/2in, so flow was not too adversely affected, if at all. Tygon tubing easily makes the turn with these joint "barbs". The more common 90° joints I judged to be too risky (flow-restrictive), after reading a lot on this forum. I voted Need Elbows.

Last edited:
i had kinks but i saw someone use tie straps on their tubes to force the kinks out and i tried it
and it works great no more kinks!

Attachments

• im000523.jpg
    im000523.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 778
Contra said:
i had kinks but i saw someone use tie straps on their tubes to force the kinks out and i tried it
and it works great no more kinks!

The only problem with your solution pictured is that you'll in turn put alot of sideways pulling force on the block and lessen the straightness of the TIM joint.

This could ended up being alot more detrimental to performance than a minor semi kink in your tubing.

Just something to think about ;)

I like yer nice orange coolant btw...

Springs

I got Tygon line when I set up my system and I have never been so miserable. I could never put enough clamps on to take all the kinks out and the line was actually sucked closed near the pump.

My best reccomendation is thin stainless steel springs in the line they provide excellent flexability without any worry about kinks.

I do have 1/2" lines and high end swiftech pump, which gives me the luxurary of not worrying about the reduced flow the springs empose.

yep, gotta make sure u get that 1/8"+ wall for 3/8id or 1/4"+ wall for 1/2"id on ur tubing. even cheap vinyl tubing doesn't kink with a thick wall (or is hard to kink)

I use a tubing made for industrial pnuematics I got from my shop, its similar to vinyl but yet not quite, its holds its shape and resists kinking through some VERY tight bends. It is flexible yet stiff as well, so I heated it and bent it to the exact shapes I need and now it holds that shape, but I can still bend it, and it will go right back to how I made it. Really neat stuff.... should be for almost a $1 a foot!.

EDIT, I just found a peice I had left over, and its marked "SMC Polyurethane" on it... and its BLUE ;)

Last edited:
I think through my setup, and my Clearflex 60 loves me. Using a combination of 5/8" ID, 1/2" ID, and a little 1" ID, all with 1/8" wall. Going to be using some 3/8" ID soon here. I guess not having kinks means that I'm a hero. :D

Tygon (1/2in ID 5/8 OD), was totally useless.

ClearFlex70 (1/2 ID 3/4 OD), fairly flexable and almost never kinks.

I will never use a 1/16in wall tubing again. :mad:

Bailey said:

No worries, that works out about the same. A 90 or 1ft of tubing will add about the same head pressure - lol.
wrong, do some investigation

be cool

I'm waiting for Lothar to post in this thread.

He used cheap 1/16" tubing and coolsleeves (swiftech I believe) and he can make bends the size of a quarter with his tubing. It's insane.

Back