• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is your tubing kinking?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Does your tubing kink?

• Yes

Votes: 17 8.3%
  • No

Votes: 143 69.8%
  • I need extra tubing

Votes: 6 2.9%
  • I need hose clamps or zip ties

Votes: 17 8.3%
  • Other: post what you do

Votes: 12 5.9%
  • I need to use elbows

Votes: 10 4.9%

• Total voters
Biggest kink in my systems is the guy who builds 'em. ;)

I haven't decided how I'll vot yet, but I have had systems with horrible kinks.
I've used copper and plastic 90s, cable ties to remove kinkage, copper tubing (almost) entirely, and many kinds of plastic/vinyl tubing.

I have also had systems with no kinks at all.

It's all a compromise- the trick is to find which compromises work best in a given system- long tubes, hard bends or minor kinking.
The joy is in the journey, at least for me: try different things and see what works best. :)

(Edit- Surprisingly, I voted "Other.")

Fyberwire said:
I'm waiting for Lothar to post in this thread.

He used cheap 1/16" tubing and coolsleeves (swiftech I believe) and he can make bends the size of a quarter with his tubing. It's insane.

Ok here is the crazy bend;)

With coolsleeves you will never need elbows again

Coolsleeves-knot.jpg

Hmmmm: neat stuff!

But a quick note ( and threadjack!) on bends and elbows:

a bend of any type (elbow or neato tubing) that has a tight radius will STILL hurt flow more than a bend with a nice, large radius.

trojanman said:
No kinking at all here. I dont have a GPU block though so ya that helps. But I am using Home Depot 1/2 inner 3/4 outer. Working perfect so far. I planned my setup before I put it together though.

Sam tubing im using.. i love it!

Stays clear much longer then people give it credit for... does not kink all that easily.. and cheap! i think i paid ledd then 3 bucks for a 10 foot lenght

It worked best for me to use a few 90 elbows, but I used 5/8" brass ones with 1/2" tubing so as to make them as nonrestrictive as possible. I used 1/2" ID 3/4"OD Clearflex 60 everywhere except from the CPU to NB where a piece of Tygon did the trick.

I have kinking issue coming from my chipset to VC, for they are only 2.5 inches apart, so what i did was i check how much bend if its installed and boil a water then dip it the way its suppose to bend and let it cool, and it works, as you can see in this picture.
Mar17_02.jpg

Last edited:
joelkyr said:
I have kinking issue coming from my chipset to VC, for they are only 2.5 inches apart, so what i did was i check how much bend if its installed and boil a water then dip it the way its suppose to bend and let it cool, and it works, as you can see in this picture.

I did the same thing, but not for the same reason. I use reinforced 1/2 ID 5/8OD tubing. Its nearly impossible to bend unless its heated up first. but never kinked.

UberBlue said:
Other. 3/4" CPVC. If it kinks, something REALLY bad has happened.

Like UberBlue, I use PVC. (Don't use the high heat version, though.)

I have short (6-8 inch) pieces of the thick string reinforced stuff, (from Home D) from the PVC manifolds, to the waterblocks. It does a gradual 90 degree bend, and never has kinked.

steve

I have been using MasterKleer's 7/16"ID-5/8"OD for about 6 months now with no kinks. Its flexibility and clarity are a definite step up over the ClearFlex60 I was using. I am guessing thats primarily due to the slightly thinner 3/32" wall thickness. Up side is that its $0.37/ft from Mcmaster.com, downside is that you have to buy it in 25ft increments.

Last edited:
Back