• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ISP advice needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

n00bular

I'm going to be moving out into a new apartment next year with 3 friends. We all game online pretty much, and the 3 of them download anime like crazy. I was wondering what I should do for next year for the internet. We don't want to spend a whole lot, and I don't want to have downloads hindering any sort of gameplay. What should I get for internet and how should I network it?

for networking 4 people together with high bandwidth demands, i would recommend building a decent router out of an old computer, the performance will be worth it over a retail router. also, you might look at a QoS solution to prioritize packets of data on certain ports (that games would use) so that the lag created by large transfers doesnt swamp your internet. and hell, while you're at it, might as well check out squid, a free caching proxy server for *nix (i could be wrong, it might be specific to a certain *nix) and deny routing to ports 21 and 80 so that your friends cant override it for whatever reason they may imagine.

also, if you tend to play with your friends more than with people on the internet, you might look at building/buying/stealing a computer to turn into a game server as well as everything above. its really sweet having a (semi)dedicated server on a lan for FPS games. if you want to know more, i can expalin all of this/get links for you.

SavageBasher, I was thinking about getting a router and splitting it four way. I have also seen those services listed on broadbandreports.

gusgizmo, I am a complete networking noob. Could you please elaborate? I plan on returning to competitive CS, so I plan on running a small server if applicable. I might have a spare computer to run this "router" thing (if I can set it up correctly). I was wondering, if I set up this computer to run as a router, can I run it as a server as well? And what is this QoS thing you are talking about? Please explain, as it will help me out a lot! thanks :)

i dont see why you couldnt run a cs server on the router itself.

QoS is a term used for a set of services that give traffic, that you specify, priority over other traffic. for instance, downloads would be delayed slightly while a packet from cs is sent. it can be helpful to maintain real time communications on a congested network. in any case, im thinking that you should consider a windows machine as a router if you are going to use a decent machine (around 600 - 1000mhz) since it will be easier to setup for a newbie. try to get a copy of windows 2000 advanced server in whatever way possible, and install it on your spare machine. then get two network cards in it, just so its ready for whenever you move.

Thanks for the explanation :p I'm guessing that QoS is a setting in windows somwhere (but what it does seems really cool :) ). Would Windows XP professional work fine? I can get a cheap copy of that from my school. Also, I've been looking at a few ISPs available in my area. If an ISP offers say, 1500/768 internet and 2 IPS, would that mean I get 2 internet connections of 1500/768? I've got an older machine (500mhz p3), but I plan on putting a newer system. I've got a spare p4 motherboard, ddr memory laying around.

Also, If I have the modem plugged into the server computer, can I split it off into a switch or somthing and plug in the rest of my computers in the apartment?

you can only get qos on the server versions of windows, but if you do decide to use xp in the end, you will be able to do routing with it, as well as use it as a game server.

then as far a splitting the internet, thats what the router does. if you are going to use windows xp, you just use ICS (internet connection sharing) and it does mostly everything for you. with the server versions, there is a more advanced and powerful version of ICS used for routing. on the hardware side, you just plug the modem into one ethernet card, and the switch that all the other computers go on in the other.

as far as two IP's go, that is not two internet connections, that just means you can hook up two computer that are globally addressable before they want more money. i wouldnt even bother with that. if you use the computers inside a NAT protected network, more likely than not youll avoid most of the viruses and such out there. just make sure to keep your server well defended by setting up port rules and such.

as far as building a new machine goes, it really depends on how many people are going to play. on my game server it has a 733 mhz celeron and 394 ram, and it will handle 8 people easily with ut2k3. i dont believe that you can support more than that without lag on a broadband connection like you are going to have.

Sounds good. I'll have to see about that windows server edition (not exactly sure if my school has discounts on those). About the connection, how much bandwidth would I need for heavy downloads and say an 11 person Counter-strike server? I don't mind putting together a cheap system (I just need a processor and a harddrive) How much of a difference would SDSL be over ADSL? I know SDSL is better but how much better? If it costs too much to run the server AND have my roomates' anime downloads, I'll be happy with me being able to play games smoothly while my roomates downloads' are on.

sdsl would pwn for a game server. the uploads are much better (which is what a server is about). I think that you shouldnt count on running the server at full load + anime downloads, it just wont happen without a commercial quality connection, which seems outside your budget. but if you can afford sdsl, it seems like a good option.

i have 5 puters running off my cable connection and even at peak times there is very little to no noticable lag. Just depends where you are located in reference to the repeater. When I lived in Dallas, DSL worked better for me. If your room mates cant fork out $10 a piece look for new room mates. :)

Back