• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

It’s over. All AMD CPUs except for the expensive FX will be multiplier locked.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well???.. C'mon.. Explain.. sure better be a good explanation.. I'll be correcting you if necessary. ;)

Oh yeah, so... based on what you said, a good stable RAM will fail in Memtest86 but PASS in GAMES? LOL..

So.. Memtest86 does not test your ram?.. I thought Memtest is for memory testing.. no? LOL

well if its your sh***y N-Force2 chipset can u please tell me y mine is running at 223fsb ive just upped it some more :)

i think its just u and your poor overclocking skills tbh

Seriously Pikachu, you need to keep it down. My board primes fine at 220fsb, and most easily get 230+ fsb. Sounds to me like you've just got a messed up setup. I don't like to flame either, but you can't base everyone's AMD success on your own apparently unreliable platform.

I don't get why people herald locked AMD's as the end of the world. P4's have always been locked...this just means we need to find a new way to overclock. I'm fine with that. Multipliers are cool, but they're definitely not the only reason I chose AMD.

Oh yeah and how did this same pair of CorsairXMS 3502v1.1 BH-5 sticks did no problem at 230FSB DC with XP2700+ & Abit NF7 v2.0(when it was first released) in 3Dmark '01 and games? Care to explain?

How did I run 238FSB 4-2-2-2.5 on the memory bench on abit NF7 v1.2? care to explain?

it's a lot more complicated than what you think, LOL

MHz speed = [FSB] x multiplier
Graphic67 is one of the most knowledgeable and helpful members at overclockers forums. You assert that he is wrong about multiplier locks, then contradict yourself by immediately switching to talking about FSB, Pikachu_Mommy.

You then assert that it is not the brands but the entire nForce2 chipset that is unstable. This is simply not the case as is proven by hundreds of posts at this forum alone. Of course there were issues but with adequate power supply and cooling, the latest revisions of reputable brands of PCI locked nForse2 mobos offer extremely high stable FSB overclocks provided you have highly overclockable RAM sticks.

Since AMD CPUs are now locked, more emphasis will be on finding out which RAM sticks don't offer stable 220+ FSB overclocks. Also, name brand power supply will be more important than ever.

Pikachu_Mommy try and calm down a little bit man. You obviously have a deep seeded hatred of AMD for some reason, probably due to some frustrating OCing experiences with them, but the fact is there is a great # of people that have had great success with them. Its fine to have your opinion, but you are coming off quiet abrasive when there is no need.

If your system cannot do 160fsb, there is something seriously wrong with your setup. You got a bad piece of hardware, or you got something configured wrong. Looking at the polls I have seen on these very forums more than half of the people here fall into the AMD camp and I would think these forums would be flooded with complaints if nobody could game on their system without going down to 100fsb...

johan851 said:

I don't get why people herald locked AMD's as the end of the world.

Not the end of the world, but this could end up being a pretty big blow until we see some new AMD motherboards. Intel chips have been locked for some time, but the Intel motherboard chipsets can crank the FSB alot better than the nforce2 boards can.

With my current cooling I would need to get a cpu with a higher default multiplier to get the speeds I am running at, because I have had to raise my mult by 1.5 from stock. The opposite issue is going to affect alot of ocers though. Many people lower their mult to get more fsb, which they desperatly need. Without very good cooling, many people are going to end up with a lower FSB.

pikachu mommy, wasn't that u raving about the barton 2600's "security"?...just curious as to what's happened in the last 2 days since that post....

If you guys cannot keep this from being a flamefest I personally will be locking this thread. To Graphic, of their own design only since the K5 but they have been fabbing since the 70's on par with Intel for all that time. As for multi unlocking Intel has been doing this for most of their time for crying out loud people so you don't get to change the multi big deal. The OC'ing has always commenced with FSB tweaking anyway. It's really not the 'death blow' alot of you perceive it to be.

J :mad: Keep it on track or this thread is gone!

Your correct, Intel has ALWAYS (at least since the P2) locked their chips, this is why the Intel mobo makers plan the motherboard to be FSB OC friendly, that's why they take high FSB frequency into consideration. Also Intel chipsets have totally different architecture where the performance does drop like stone when you use memory divisors like it does when you do so on an AMD platform.
True no multiplier control is not the end of the world, but it is very bad for some people who will be forced to get a certain chip/mobo/ram if they want to get a decent overclock, not talking about a decent FSB overclock...

Without very good cooling, many people are going to end up with a lower FSB.
True enough Deathknight, it's unfortunate. I was just referring to the thread title "It's Over."

Let's see...Barton 2500+'s (a good, popular OC'ing chip) run at 1.83Ghz...that's 166x11. 220x11 = 2420. So I think most people will be still be getting anywhere from 205 to 215fsb with this chip. That's worse, but not horrible. Definitely not the end. I still think AMD will be a good choice for performance on a budget.

True, AMD's locked multis make P4 systems even more attractive. I myself would get one if I had the cash. The truth is, I can't afford it, and that applies to a lot of us.

Perhaps the FSB situation with AthlonFX's will be different than with Athlon/Barton. Any speculations on that? Maybe they won't do as poorly running async.

My appologies SpeeDj. You are, of course, correct. Some things just rub me raw and I should know by now to bite my tongue. Sorry for feeding the flames instead of using the /ignore.

People can also get the 2600+ Barton which offers 11.5x multiplier. So that would be 11.5 x 200 = 2300 MHz, 11.5x x 210 = 2415 MHz, 11.5 x 220 = 2530 MHz. So you have two options, depending on how high you want the fsb. I've used 11x and nothing else, so for me it's much of a problem, though it is sad.

Pikachu_Mommy said:

Unfortunately there are a lot of sh#tty nforce2 boards flowing around and won't be able to play games totally stably even at 200 fsb or even as low as 160fsb.. you can't never feel safe that your system is not gonna fail at 200fsb in games? You lose the sense of security because all the sudden.. WHAMMMM!!! fail on you. Intel P4 platforms will very unlikely happen at 200FSB LOL... it's very different platform know what I mean.. it's not the AMD chip company I hate.. it's the platform I hate.. now that the amd chips come locked.. well... that leaves no room.

Now whos fault is it that they buy ****ty boards???:p

Ive had tonz of success with AMD, started out with Intel up to about 700mhz, then jumped to AMD and havent looked back.

But hearing this im not sure what to think.

/ignore

Don't be trying to close my thread!
Please resist the urge & ignore Pikachu_Mommy flame baits.

Back on topic, there are many expensive PC3200s that are hit & miss, we need to start gathering info on which sticks hit 220+ guaranteed.

Separating PC3200s that guarantee 220+ is going to be the thing for overclocking new locked CPUs, what are the modules that are known to do 220+ and up guaranteed, post here please to help people who have no choice but to buy a locked Barton:
http://www.ocforums.com/vb/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=2370270

Looks like I bought my stuff just in time :cool:

Upgrades in the processor/mobo department are pretty much out for me for the next 4 years - good thing I have a hella OCin platform to tide me over.

Back