• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

It's that time again...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Arkaine23

Captain Random Senior Evil
http://overclockix.octeams.com Get it here. You'll need bittorrent.

Time for a new Overclockix iso! I call this one 3.79 (overdozed), and its basically 3.7 combined with LTSP 2.1, plus all of the look and new software from 3.8, but none of the bugs. So the kernels' (2.4.27 & 2.6.9) are not quite the newest, but then again, that allows for captive-ntfs work well. There's no Unionfs, but unionfs has still got some problems.

Highlights:

KDE 3.4.2
OpenOffice 2.0 beta

Multimedia: kino - a video editor, mplayer & w32codecs, xine, ogle, dvdrip, k3b, xmms, audacity, ripperX, gimp 2.2

WEB/Internet: nvu- a wysiwyg web dev editor, firestarter- firewall, bittornado, xchat, gaim, gnomemeeting, firefox (with flash, java, mplayer plugins ), ethereal, ndiswrapper, knemo, kismet, gftp, ncftp, knode, kismet, airsnort

OCer Tools: lm-sensors, rovclock & nvclock- for overclocking video cards, cpuburn, folding@home, boinc, cpuburn, memtest, prime, bonnie++, gkrellm, radeon and nvidia driver install scripts (for ppl who install it to hdd), filelight- graphical disk useage viewer

GUI stuff- superkaramba + themes, konqueror metabar, AKDC & crystal kwin decos, crystal kwin deco, noia icons, exquisite icons, new moodin splash engine and ksplashes, metal4kde style, silver xcursors (also included alternate blue, gold, onyx, and iron cursor themes), non-standard k3b & openoffice splashscreens, custom kside menu bar, silver firefox theme

plus a ton of other cool stuff.

Things to do-

last minute adjustments to icon themes, test the installer, update liquid weather.

It folds with wine by default. But it can fold with the linux client if you want it to. I based it on a Knoppix 3.7 Overdoze sent me with his LTSP folding service already included. For those interested, a limited edition DVD version based on Knoppix 4.0 is in the works.

ocix38.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good Ark. Out of curiosity, why do you fold under wine by default when there's a native linux client out there? Are there some advantages to the win client?

F@H folds considerably faster using the windows client under Wine than it does using the native Linux client. This has been tried and tested tons of times. I don't know of any recent developments in the Linux client to speed things up, deffinatly better sticking with wine.

Wine = faster tinker times and sometimes faster gromacs, in all of my testing on Athlon XP's anyway. Considerably is a bit of an overstatement. It's less than 10% faster on any given WU and probably closer to 2-3% faster for an average.

Last edited:
Very odd, you'd think the native implementation would be faster. I wonder if it's because of the compiler used. The Intel compiler produces some incredibly fast binaries.

Its more than that. For some reason wine often does tinker units faster than the windows client running on windows.

Strange; I'll have to try running it under Wine on my machine for a while and see how my score goes up.

Anyway, nice looking distro you have there; I'll have to download it to replace my old Overclockix emergency CD :)

I particularly like that F@H display that tells the WU's progress and everything... that's cool.

It will have more emergency usefulness than previous releases. It now includes chntpw (change nt password), a windows password reset tool and limited registry editor.

If I had a spare drive, I'd be all over this, trying to install Lunux again, but alas no hd. But will be download for hopefully a new install in the near future

You don't need a hd. Overclockix is based on Knoppix, and runs off a LiveCD.

We don't need no stinking HDD's! The screenshot is from the live environment. I've already burnt a few candidate iso's. So far I've not found any bugs to fix... only cosmetic things to touch up, docs to write, scripts to make things easier, and a few more MB to fill with goodies.

It is uploading now, and though there appears to be a link for it, it is not set to point to any exisiting file at this time. Probably by 12 AM EST tonight that will change. And you will need bittorrent to download it.

Arkaine... if i get the time to do so... would ya mind if i got it, and did a recompile of it to 64bit and sent ya a copy? I think i may have some time in a couple of weeks on a wednesday to do so.

Sorry, delayed by a weird bug. I found the restartx script was broken somehow and tried to fix it. When I tested it, it wrote to a config file that made overclockix automatically boot into fluxbox instead of KDE. I'm not dissing fluxbox, but the target audience for the distro seems overwhelmingly sympathetic to KDE and I think they'd have been shocked.

Also, I had more surprises to add such as qemu. Like I can use the live CD to boot another live CD's iso file. It was cool. I ran overclockix inside overclockix. I've also run it insde of windows, though that was slower for a couple of reasons.

Not going to give it all away though. There's some other cool toys that made their way in in the last 2 days. Anyway, I'm building it again right now and this iso will go up on the server, provided its still under 700MB. Looking at early evening tomorrow as about when I expect it to be available.

Back