• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

It's that time again...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Not the initrd ramdisk.

Knoppix uses two ramdisk filesystems, one is a fixed-size (/var) and the other is dynamic (/home). The /home ramdisk can be as large as it needs to be, up to the max limit of your installed ram minus what the system is using.

But it works if you manually do the commands once its booted?

Oh another thing- I'm sure that boincmgr is creating some kind of configuration files which will need to go to /etc/skel. Boincmgr cannot be run while the system is booted and there's no GUI, so it can't be involved in your script.

Last edited:
Thanks for the clarification Ark.

Listen to what Ark says, he's the resident knoppix/overclockix guru.

Got it working!!!!

Now to figure out how to use the optimized client. Which script sets up the /home/knoppix directory? If I can put the right files in there it will start with the optimized client (I think)

Thanks so much guys. I have learned a lot about Linux/Knoppix over the last few days. Hard to believe that I have only been working with Linux under a month. :)

Congrats on remastering!!! Its not too difficult a process (depending on how deep you go in your changes) and I've found at least that it'll teach you a lot. Not to mention its fun to have your own personal live CD.

/etc/skel - the skeleton directory, is used as the basis for the knoppix user's personal configurations. Anything you dump in there should be populated into /home/knoppix on boot. There are a couple of scripts involved in knoppix hardware detection which handle the setting up of /home/knoppix. I have modified these somewhat because I've found an issue where the customized kmenu would not work after remastering. This has been looked at by many other knoppix fans/remasterers. Make sure that the boinc client you download is -

chmod 755 boinc
This command will make it executable and make it conform to the file permissions of the other files found in /etc/skel. You'll want to find the original boinc executable (probably in /usr/bin) and replace it as well.

What's the difference? Why two files?

In your script if you are to say-
cd /home/knoppix
./boinc -option -option

You're using the boinc from /etc/skel.

If you're just in a terminal and you were to-

boinc -option -option > /work/directory
Then you'd be using the one in /usr/bin.

Yeah at first I didnt realize you could attach to a project using the boinc_cmd program. After creating a single script that starts boinc_cmd -attach_project http://setiathome.berkeley.edu auth# option I was able to get it to work.

I modified the isolinux.cfg to boot to the command prompt using "knoppix26 2". Put the script into the /etc/rc2.d then chmod +x /etc/rc2.d/S99boinc-client. I added the boinc dir to /KNOPPIX/etc/skel/ and modified the autoconfig-knoppix to copy the /etc/skel/boinc to /home/knoppix/

It still has a few problems but it is opperational. For somereason once it boots and boinc starts and is configured I cannot stop it. I cannot even access a different terminal using alt+f2. That same script won't work when booting into KDE for some reason.

edit: I wonder if it is because boinc is using 100% processor? I remember something about using the command "nice boinc" to lower the priority but I am not sure.

I have copied the optimized client to /KNOPPIX/etc/skel/boinc/projects/setiathome??/ but when boinc runs it removes the optimized client and downloads the default client.

Another thing I would like to have during the boot is if it does not pull an IP address from the DHCP server that it stops and ask for a valid IP configuration. That way boinc does not fail. I think that is also in the autoconfig-knoppix script.

Once those things are fixed I plan on making a stripped down version with only what is needed to run boinc. No bells and whistles just kernel and boinc.(if thats possible)

If boinc is not being started as a background process, then it will occupy the terminal.

Adding "> /dev/null &" to the end fo rhte command thqat starts boinc will put it in the background... provided there's no interactive component to operating boinc this will work fine. If it's downloading a client, check the script and look for "wget". This is mostly the method being used to download a client. You could alter the web address to grab an optimized client instead. Not sure if this is the method being used though....

nice -10 boinc -option -option > /dev/null &
Just stick nice in front of your command and it will be nicer in giving up cycles to other processes. I would image the binary itself is already built to be fairly nice.

If grabbing IP infomration from DGCP fails, you can "netcardconfig" and manually enter settings. Although often "sudo pump" will force the automatic broadcast to try again.

NsOmNiA91130 said:
I ran it through the console to see if any errors came up, and, alas, one did.

Can't open /mnt/hdinstall/home/pwall/.mozilla/default/*/prefs.js: No such file or directory.

:rolleyes:

And alas, it doesn't. I checked, and that directory goes all the way to default, ./*/ doesn't exist.

I'm having this same problem. Any solution/workaround?

I'd like to remaster a copy of 3.79 for myself.

I don't want any DC clients starting automatically.

I want to fold out of my existing FAH folders on the hard drive using WINE and only download windows clients/WUs. That way hopefully I can fold the same WUs in either XP or Linux and not be stuck on one OS.

And I want to edit FAH.conf to my name.

I assume you use the Knoppix remaster tools.

There are scripts and other tools out there to make remastering simple. I do not use them, so I can't tell you how they work. But given the heritage of Overclockix, any knoppix-tools are almost certain to work.

????

You want to mount a network shared windows NTFS hard drive partition in Linux? Then fold using an existing folding directory there (windows text-only client)? Do you want your own custom auto-folding script or do you just wanna handle it manually?

Custom-autofolding potential: fold on a windows server's share drive. You just have to replace my folding script in with your own which:

1) samba mounts the shared drive without prompting for a password
2) launches the folding client in wine

If instead you want to boot the CD and have it fold on the local HDD of a windows computer using that computer's own folding directory.....

1) Fold directory must not be on NTFS!!!
2) must make a script to remount the FAT32 partition with the folding directory as writeable, then have said script start folding in wine. As long as the folding directory's name and location are known this will work well, and would even work if you later installed Ocix as a dual-boot OS.

Folding scripts on Overclockix are linked in /etc/rc5.d, /etc/rc3.d, and /etc/rc2.d. While remastering you simply delete the links in these directories which are obviously folding-related (based on their name). That will nullify auto-folding in your remastered disk, though the scripts are still there if you want to manually launch them at any point. The default client.cfg's for the existing folding scripts live in a couple of places: /usr/share/knoppix/profile/Fold and also /cdrom.

Last edited:
The knoppix remastering guide.

I extract the CD while booted in Knoppix, chroot into the extracted files, fire up another xsession, remove stuff, add stuff, tweak stuff, and then build a new iso.

The very first iso I made took more than a week of almost constant work and checking of the knoppix.net forums (it was a learning experience). Since then I can do one in about 20 hours, usually 40 hours by the time I fix the majority of the bugs. I've started using my own scripts to automatically insert files from previous builds and handle apt-get adds and removals. That speeds things up quite a bit. What takes the most time for me at least is pouring over kde-look.org and doing all the tweaking to the GUI's. Most knoppix remasters don't do a whole lot in that dept.

Back