• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclockix 3.8 preview

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
ill try mine that i changed to my cfg.

i changed my name like it says and it didnt work. there are tons of spaces after name and team. booted fine, but when i did a cfgfold then changed my name and team i get sytax error unexpected token "fi"

LOL the spanish install is funny. I was just in AZ so lets see what i remember.

Last edited:
that sudo knoppix-installer-orig is still spanish also. First popup is english then its all spanish after that.

the options are i think, name(yours), username, user pass, admin pass, box name. That might help someone i hope.

twinturbo454 said:
how do you get the cpu stats to display on the desktop like that?
It is the button all the way on the right on the bar. Sorry for my lack of official terms, I would love to make the transition to linux, but I know jack about it.

On another note, I tried booting overclockix on a few PCs and I ran into the same problem as gulp35 when it is configuring the third KDE load-up thing. It only happened on one of the three computers I tried it on, but when I ran my Knoppix 3.7 disc on them, it worked for all three.

This is an awesome distro, and I am very interested in installing it to my HDD, but I don't speak spanish either....What should I do?! And when I install, I just want it a fairly small partition. 20Gigs all together. What should I partition for EXT3 and Swap (or are those the same thing?)

Edit:
One other thing that really, really bothered me. Screen resoloution. I have a 19" CRT and a Radeon 9800 Pro. Under windows, I run 1280x960. It is forcing me to run 1024x768. This is no where near the size I need! When I was at school and was running the 1280x1024 LCD screens, it fit them perfectly. The extra screen size made the environment a jajillion times better. I found the option to change it, but it was limited at 1024x768, so I'm basically stuck. Will a HDD install fix this problem?

Last edited:
I installed and kde didnt work for me either.

Yam, when you boot off cd did you try screen=1280x1024 ? See if that works.

twinturbo454 said:
how do you get the cpu stats to display on the desktop like that?

Using a program called gkrellm, which displays lots of system information and can be used in conjunction with lm_sensors to show temps/voltages etc.

Kris said:
Can't get 3.8 to load from hd. If i use the defalt installer I get so many errors on start up it never loads anything. When I try the knoppix or debian installers it crashes at kdmgreet and gives this( kdmgreet crashed and caused the signal 11 (sigsegv) ) I can't pass this point to get to anything.

I'm feeling your pain :( I can't seem to get anything to work right either :bang head

I ended up just going back to 3.7 as I could never get 3.8 to boot into kde. After going back to 3.7 I used apt-get to install apt-build and optimize a bunch of programs. So I guess I now have 3.7 and a half! Later I think there will be a updated iso of 3.8 and I will try again.

Is apt-get officially supported by Overclockix 3.8, because it didnt workl in the previous version. Also doesnt like my Asus geforce 2 mx card.
Thanks

Kris said:
I have used apt just fine in 3.7,although I usaly just use it to install synaptic and then do all of my upgrades with synaptic.
How do you install install synaptic.
Thanks

Bugs, bugs, bugs. I'll try to get the spanish language conversion in the installer completed quickly and see what I can do about kde being buggy. It works fine on my test machine- a laptop with no ACPI. I did have the resolution issue once on my duallie, but the next time I booted it it was gone, so I don't know what the graphics detection scripts are doing wrong....

open console
su
apt-get update
apt-get install synaptic

After synaptic installs you should be able to find it in the system menue.
If prompted for the root password you will need to open another console and run this command
sudo passwd root
this will let you set a password to use for the kde descktop

Arkaine23 said:
Bugs, bugs, bugs. I'll try to get the spanish language conversion in the installer completed quickly and see what I can do about kde being buggy. It works fine on my test machine- a laptop with no ACPI. I did have the resolution issue once on my duallie, but the next time I booted it it was gone, so I don't know what the graphics detection scripts are doing wrong....

Any updates Arkaine?

When kde freezes up hit F4 ( I think it was F4 I hit ) and that should let you log in under text mode. After you are logged in type the command startx and it should finnish loading.

Kris said:
open console
su
apt-get update
apt-get install synaptic

After synaptic installs you should be able to find it in the system menue.
If prompted for the root password you will need to open another console and run this command
sudo passwd root
this will let you set a password to use for the kde descktop
Thanks
I am looking forward to installing knoppix 3.8

Back