• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

It's that time again...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
OK cool I got seti running on it. This is what I did.

console: foldoff
console: boinc (without this it would not connect to local host)
console: boincmgr

Then I had to configure the boinc client.

Is there any way to automate that process? Kixtart? Forgive me like I said I am fairly new to linux.

It has not yet completed a WU but the time looks pretty long. I know it should run faster under WINE. How do I know if it is running under WINE. If it isn't how do I get it to?

I am sure I will have some more questions later. But thanks Arkaine for the help so far!

btoups said:
OK cool I got seti running on it. This is what I did.

console: foldoff
console: boinc (without this it would not connect to local host)
console: boincmgr

Then I had to configure the boinc client.

Is there any way to automate that process? Kixtart? Forgive me like I said I am fairly new to linux.

It has not yet completed a WU but the time looks pretty long. I know it should run faster under WINE. How do I know if it is running under WINE. If it isn't how do I get it to?

I am sure I will have some more questions later. But thanks Arkaine for the help so far!

There were some compromises involved in the inclusion of Boinc in Overclockix-

1) I don't know a lot about boinc, so rather than write all my own scripts to manage it, and spend lots of time getting it worked out... I just took existing scripts and the boincmgr that other's have built.

2) I'm using a linux version of the client, so no wine. It is optimized for i686 CPU's, not any particular CPU like P4, Athlon, etc. This is for wider compatibility since the live CD might be used by people with a wide variety of hardware configurations.

3) As for automatiing the startup... That could be done in 3 ways:
a) Install the distro to a HDD. Remove folding from init and replace it with seti.
b) Use "Persistent Home" to save configurations across a reboot and the "home=scan" cheatcode when booting the CD. This would require a USB pen or HDD to save the stored home directory. Within this persistent home, one could put a script into ~/.kde/share/Autostart utilizing the sudo command within the script to stop the folding@home service, and launch boinc. Said script might look something like-

#!/bin/sh
sudo foldoff
sudo /etc/init.d/boinc start

c) Unpack the compressed CD onto a 3+ GB Linux partition while booted from the CD, have at least 1GB of ram + swap on the machine you do this with. Follow any of several remastering guides floating around and make permanent changes to the distribution, then build your own custom version of Overclockix that runs seti instead of folding.

d) Send me monetary donations and I will build a custom version for you. ;)

Well I am doing the Remastering.

What is the easiest way to remove the F@H auto start? (Remove /etc/rcS.d/K20Foldclient?)

I found what what will work to start S@H.

nice boinc >/dev/null $
boinc_cmd --project_attach http://setiathome.berkeley.edu Auth#

That should get Boinc and Seti running.

Where would be the best place to put that to get it to auto run? I was thinking of /etc/rcS.d/S00knoppix-autoconfig (not sure exactly where in the file to put the lines)

I think that should work but please correct me if I am wrong.

Got a little Hiccup. I remastered the cd with the above setting and now I get this error.

modprobe: fatal: error inserting apm (/lib/modules/2.6.9/kernel/arch/i386/kernel/apm.ko): no such device

Not sure what that means or how to fix it.

That is not a serious error. Hardware detection scripts try to load lots of stuff, some of which may not be compiled with the kernel. Sort of a shotgun approach....

As for init...

Folding is started by a link in /etc/rc2.d, /etc/rc3.d, and /etc/rc5.d... called S99foldstart ro something similar. The one in rc5.d is what's used for graphical booting. The runlevel 2 and 3 links are for text-mode boots, often employed with low ram-systems or by people who like the command line. The links point to my folding@home service script.

So basically, rm these links and create a new ones which point to your own script. You'll want to have your boinc running its stuff in either the /var or /home/knoppix directory as those are ramdisk filesystems when booting from CD, and hence the only writeable part of the filesystem. I suggest /home/knoppix so that configuration and progress can be easily saved across a reboot when using the Persistent Home feature. I'm pretty sure the way its already configured is to work out of the /home/knoppix directory, but you'll want to make sure your startup script cd's there before launching boinc, just in case..

Last edited:
OK, why is it instead of executing my script at startup it opens it in Kwrite? I placed it in /etc/skel/.kde/Autostart. I tried it in rc5.d but it did not run. I copied the script there, does it need to be a Link?

Man I am lost but making some progress. :)

Here is the ls -l

knoppix@ttyp2[Autostart]$ ls -l
total 16
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 50 Aug 24 20:13 3ddeskd
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 40 Oct 22 14:04 T10boinc-server
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 199 Oct 22 14:04 T20boincauto
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 43 Aug 22 21:55 splash
knoppix@ttyp2[Autostart]$

Here is the script

#!bin/bash
cd /home/knoppix
./boinc start

And now I see the problem. Tyop in the #!/bin/bash, missed a /

I am fixing now and remastering

Hope that works.

Man I am so close I can taste it.

Current situation.

Knoppix boots, KDE starts, Boinc_client starts, Boinc_cmd configures Boinc,

Boinc Message: Not disk space (You must free 97.6MB before BOINC gets space)......

I guess it is not trying to use Ramdisk. Whats the secret to getting that to happen?

Thanks again.

Maybe you've got to direct boinc where to put the work files. Try boinc --help to see if there's an option to specify where the work directory is. Also check and see if there's a /etc/init.d/boinc script. This would be an init script to start/stop/restart boinc. If this script exists, test it and see if it gives the same error-

sudo /etc/init.d/boinc start

If it doesn't you should be good just linking this in /etc/rc5.d.

sudo ln -s /etc/init.d/boinc /etc/rc5.d/S99boinc

If it does have the same error you can edit this script and make sure it is using a writeable directory (/home/knoppix) for the place it works from.

I wish I could find a man page for the boinc linux client so I knew all its options....

Me thinks me's gots it. Remastering now, will update.
There was a boinc-client script already, I am trying to use that.

That didn't work.

I am starting to suspect a ramdisk config issue. Does anyone know what script sets this up?

This is what I think is happening. (I am probably totaly off base) Boinc checks to see how much space can be written to. Ramdisk reports 64mb but Seti want more so it wont proceed.

I want to increase the default memory ramdisk takes. But I cannot find it. Argh its 1:30 time for bed. Hopefull someone might know so I can proceed tomorrow.

There is a kernel option you can pass to set the size of the initrd... maybe that would help. I wish I remembered what it was.

Back