• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ITX or mATX?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pierre3400

annnnnnd it's gone
Hey guys,

I am currently planning my new test bench.

I will be running the 20th anno Celeron CPU, with a small CPU only water setup.

Overclocking will happen, but the main reason for the rig is to test GPU's for undervolting for my minig rigs.

The bench will be Dimastech Nano, which fits mATX boards, but i have come to the conclusion that i will only be running 1 GPU at a time anyway.

What do you guys think i should aim for as far motherboard goes?

I am pretty much looking mainly at Gigabyte boards, since i can get 4 years warranty.

Unless there are good reason to look at other boards, would i have any advantage what so ever going mATX over ITX for overclocking?

You won't notice a benefit of mATX over mITX for OCing the G3258

mATX boards will be generally cheaper. There is also more space near pcie slots so it's easier to replace graphics cards or other things. In performance there won't be any difference but hard to say what limitations can have BIOS of the board you pick. ITX boards designed for overclocking are expensive and these cheaper may lack of some options.
Since you have space for mATX then I would suggest you to get one of the mATX gaming Gigabyte boards.

well given prices differences, had there been a mITX case i really liked. i would have gone with a ASRock mITX board. i had a matx case from a while back so i went that route and saved a bit of money vs the mITX board. however the matx board i got didnt come with wireless nic which the mITX board. that would be the price difference though, the 8phase on my board is overkill for the the dual core G3258. you can get away with a 2+1 or 3+1 phase setup.

which size to go with is what you are willing to give up and just how portable you need the rig to be. In some cases it needs to blend in with the A/V stuff or you just want a really small box like the GB Brix or the older Apple Cube. Does apple still make the cube anymore.... nice case/setup imo but the slot loading disc *eek*

Does apple still make the cube anymore....

No. The G4 Cube was one of the worst selling Apple products of all time. The public just didn't want it, or didn't trust SFF yet at the time. Regardless, it was short lived and fizzled out.

Back