• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Leadtek 6600 GT Heatsink Mod!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Westline

I just completed my mod heatsink project for my two Leadtek 6600 GT TDH's. I used a Dynatron Model C61 Copper heatsink I got off of the egg. The total cost of this project was $25. I lowered my temps by 10°c and raised my 3Dmark05 score almost 300 points! I could not be happier with the results. I am using Zip Ties for now, untill I can get some 5/32" screws.

I hope to see some more of these mods on some of your guys 6X series cards!

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

pic3.jpg

pic4.jpg

pic5.jpg

Last edited:
pic6.jpg

pic7.jpg

temps.jpg

7571.bmp

Yea, they are copper staples for a staple gun. I think I need to make some RAM Sinks. I guess thats what is gonna be next :) Cheaper then those NV silencers. I was gonna get two but $50!?!?!?! thats kinda of alot of money for some crap silencers that don't do much for your temperatures.

Last edited:
Holy crap. I am impressed! That is sweet........who would have thought to use copper staples!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

( LOL.) Seriously, That is a beautiful job You did, the cards look awesome in the rig.........Thanks for sharing!....Iron.

Wow, I saw the first pictures and I was impressed, but when I saw two of them I was amazed! Those things looks awesome in SLI.

I'm not impressed, don't find it at all impressive... seriously *cough* I don't envy the owner *cough cough* at all *cooooough*

Allright.. allright, thats bloody marvellous :drool: can we get some benchmarks for that rig? edit: never mind, just read the signature... sorry! :shrug:

Cheers, Flix

Thanks guys!

Ok I should list the before benchmarks.
My highest 3Dmark05 benchmark before the heatsink mod was 7183 (Core 573mhz and memory was 1180 mhz) (46c Idle/62c Load) (Ambient 30c)

After Heatsink Mod
Highest 3Dmark05 score is 7571 (Core 597mhz and memory 1220mhz) (Idle 35c/47c Load) (Ambient 30c)

looks impressive man. Is your clock speed a type-o? 597/1220? That is pretty high isnt it? With stocks cards on mine at 391/1100 I was able to get 3dmark05 scores in the 9500's, stock cooling, stock everything(cept a mild OC), auto detects 381/1060. You may improve your score if you go down on the overclock. I hope you dont take this the wrong way as we have pretty much the same setup. :) What are you using to OC?

Also, is that the temp on top card (#1 slot)? If so, what is the temp on the bottom card? I ask cause it kooks as if you are blowing the heat from top card right onto the second card. I am hunting down cooling options for these SLI setups and so far the NVsilencers look the best only cause they blow hot air out of the case and not onto each other, how much hot air is questionable so Im still on the hunt. Anyone else have any cooling options for SLI? :bang head

Last edited:
dOh_UnderLotD said:
looks impressive man. Is your clock speed a type-o? 597/1220? That is pretty high isnt it? With stocks cards on mine at 391/1100 I was able to get 3dmark05 scores in the 9500's, stock cooling, stock everything(cept a mild OC), auto detects 381/1060. You may improve your score if you go down on the overclock. I hope you dont take this the wrong way as we have pretty much the same setup. :) What are you using to OC?

Also, is that the temp on top card (#1 slot)? If so, what is the temp on the bottom card? I ask cause it kooks as if you are blowing the heat from top card right onto the second card. I am hunting down cooling options for these SLI setups and so far the NVsilencers look the best only cause they blow hot air out of the case and not onto each other, how much hot air is questionable so Im still on the hunt. Anyone else have any cooling options for SLI? :bang head

6600 GT's come at 500/450 stock and more depending on the manufacturer.
525/525 on my galaxy.

@Thrreadstarter: awesome -absolutely awesome!

dOh_UnderLotD said:

As mustrum said, my 6600GT came with stock speeds of 500/1000. If you have a gDDR3 ram card, the speeds should be around 500/1000. To overclock I am using Riva Tuner.

The temperatures on the bottom card are always 1c lower then the top card. If you look closely in the pictures of the cards in my computer, I install an exhaust fan over the PCI Slots to pull out the air given off by the heatsinks. It also keeps the warm air from hitting the rest of my system.

Please order some OCZ skived fin copper BGA ramsinks pronto! Those staples, as amusing as they are look sad!!! The OCZ ramsinks will match your GPU coolers perfectly, and will definitely outperform the staples. lol
Very nice setup otherwise. I almost dropped my beer when I saw such a nice setup, with STAPLES as ramsinks! :bang head

dOh_UnderLotD said:
? I ask cause it kooks as if you are blowing the heat from top card right onto the second card. I am hunting down cooling options for these SLI setups and so far the NVsilencers look the best only cause they blow hot air out of the case and not onto each other

I think i know what you mean however...

the end of the silencer than has the grated PCI is athually a air inlet.. it does not blow the air out of the case...

it blows air directly down from the fan..

The way I have my setup rigged up, the warm air is sucked out of the back of the case. I might make an NVsilencer type of thing later on out of some plexi glass.

As for zip ties, I love them too. They are seriously the next duct tape. A million uses and counting.....handcuffs, straps, binding,...you get the idea.

very nice mod job there.

i've been considering doing that for my card, but i'm getting decent temps on a high overclock with the stock cooling and some as5. i might do it anyway, just to have some fun with a mod project (it can't hurt, eh?). my suggestion for the RAMsinks is that you chop up a copper northbridge cooler or, if you're willing to go aluminum, you could chop up an old pentium 1 cooler.

i modded one of those for my northbridge. i might post a thread with pictures later, if i get the motivation to unplug everything and open my case again.

Back