• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Leadtek 6600 GT Heatsink Mod!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Great mod, thanx for sharing it Westline. :cool:

Been considering using that exact Dynatron cooler on my 6800nu so this is very useful.
With it's skived fins that Dynatron is an excellent modder's sink.

how do you make sure you get the exact same pressure from each side for the zip ties? aren't you afraid it won't be put on perfectly flat?

(nice mod though. i definately gotta try those copper staples sometime :))

I'm sure he did each side slowly, or better yet you can put marks on the zip ties. Put marks on the zip ties with different colors... say 4 different colors every like few millimeters, and just cycle through the colors. That way the same colors will be at least 1cm apart, which I'm sure you can tell with your eyes if you're 1cm off.

This way you can just match up each side to the same color once you get your tight fit. Wow, just thought of that off the top of my head while typing, lol.

I like the mod too. It's creative and cheap. BTW I looked for copper staples at Home Depot. They didn't have em. I modded my 6800GT (Leadtek) huge copper sink by gluing aluminum spikes I cut off of another sink. I glued them onto every available bit of surface area left and then attached a 73CFM fan to it. With room temp at 72F and the case open I only get idle temps of about 43C and believe me this sink is using arctic silver 5, is massive with a mad fan and an additional smaller fan on the back copper plate (Yes is has a copper backplate). You can't get a better sink than what I have now. Question is Who's temps are wrong? Either my heat sensor is wrong or his is wrong.

Under load with the case closed and well ventilated my load temps read up to 62C but cool back to 50c within 45 seconds after I exit a game so I know the sink is wicking the heat away quickly. My overclock have only improved slightly so I think I am limited by the particular core I have.

Samoyed said:
I like the mod too. It's creative and cheap. BTW I looked for copper staples at Home Depot. They didn't have em. I modded my 6800GT (Leadtek) huge copper sink by gluing aluminum spikes I cut off of another sink. I glued them onto every available bit of surface area left and then attached a 73CFM fan to it. With room temp at 72F and the case open I only get idle temps of about 43C and believe me this sink is using arctic silver 5, is massive with a mad fan and an additional smaller fan on the back copper plate (Yes is has a copper backplate). You can't get a better sink than what I have now. Question is Who's temps are wrong? Either my heat sensor is wrong or his is wrong.

PICS!!!!!

It’s easy to make complete contact with the core because the core is alittle smaller then a penny. To ensure that the core was flush with the heatsink, I laid the heatsink down (fan side down) and just laid the card on top and tighten the zip ties a little at a time.

g0dM@n that idea is ingenious. I have to try doing that when I save up enough money to buy a 7800gt and heatsink that baby.

Samoyed, the reason your temperatures are higher then mine is because you simply glued the fins on. You needed to weld them on to complete the equal heat transfer throughout the material. While that stock heatsink is big, it doesn't always mean lower temperatures. That heatsink is so massive that it wraps around the card and finishes on the other side. Your heatsink probably has so much surface area that once it heats up; it doesn't cool down fast enough to keep up with the changes in your temperatures. My heatsink cools back down to idle with in 10 seconds of closing the game. Your heatsink maybe wicking properly, but it is just too much surface area. I also have my Dust plates off of the PCI slots, and have installed a 92mm fan to suck the air out of the slots where the graphics cards are on the back of the PCI slots. That way, I do not recycle the air with in my case. If you want to maximize your temperatures you need to mount a CPU heatsink of some kind.

Idle temperatures was obtained on desktop and Load while running 3Dmark05.

I'm not sure how to post the picts but I can take some easy enough. Someone tell me how.

Unfortunately I put the plastic shroud back on the mammoth heat sink and then screwed and caulked the 80mm 73cfm fan onto it. It looked hillarious with all of those extra spikes glued on. Kind of like that "Pinhead" guy in "Hellraiser" You can see some of them even with the cover on and of course the brilliant way that I mounted the original puny fan onto the back plate just for the hell of it.

Regarding the sink being too big that it acts as an insulator by not wicking the heat away fast enough..... I suppose that IS possible if the base is too thick, however top end CPU sinks have massive base plates. I guess it would depend on the actual speed of heat transfer through the metal which in real terms is the transfer of kinetic energy through copper atoms. I think the idea is that heat goes from the hot spot to the cold and the thick and wide base plate allows for a high transfer capacity. Then the rest is done by the surface area of the fins and the number of air molecules hitting the fins.

I think my temps are more a result of the onboard sensor being crappy.

You are definitely right about welding being better than AS5 epoxy. I don't know how to weld jack so I used glue. :p

You can post pictures using Photobucket. I believe that is where these pictures are hosted. http://www.photobucket.com/ Then use the Image posting option under the advanced posting options. Actually I believe that Photobucket automatically puts the HTML tags around the link.

If the transferring of heat is not the problem, it is probably the retention factor of the material you are using? Consumer9000 might be able to better answer your question because he is like an expert on this heat transfer stuff. It could be also that I am not recycling air near my graphics cards in my case. I honestly don't have the first damn clue what is causing the difference in temperatures if it is not anything that I have suggested.

Well the scientific priciples are there for an expert to predict the best likely config for a heat sink and also predict what type of performance you might get from a particular design. 9000 Seemed to think that the Leadtek sink was substantial but the fan very weak. This is the first video card I have ever held that could be used as a blunt force instrument it's so heavy. Keep in mind I simply
1)added AS5 for the thermal paste
2)added more fins even if they are aluminum and glued on with AS5 epoxy
3)added a small fan to the back plate
4)added a vacumn cleaner strength fan to the sink.
5 added and exhaust fan to the PCI slots next to the card for additional venting
Right now the room is 72F, case temp an alleged 33C and the core 51C typing this.
Case has 2 80mm fans blowing in and 2 80mm blowing out and no CP U heat in the case due to H2O cooling

Wow what an idea Westline, I've been wanting to do similar (except w/ my stock AMD sink) for a while now, all I need (since you gave me the EXCELLENT ziptie idea) is a drill pit that can cut through the aluminum, that and a new CPU HS :D

Wow, this is pretty amazing! I wanted to try this, I just have one question, what did you drill the holes with? Also im assuming you drilled them from the bottom up right?

EDIT; Sorry for bringing this dead thread back up, didnt realize it was so old, should-ve asked by PM :bang head

Samoyed said:
Well the scientific priciples are there for an expert to predict the best likely config for a heat sink and also predict what type of performance you might get from a particular design. 9000 Seemed to think that the Leadtek sink was substantial but the fan very weak. This is the first video card I have ever held that could be used as a blunt force instrument it's so heavy. Keep in mind I simply
1)added AS5 for the thermal paste
2)added more fins even if they are aluminum and glued on with AS5 epoxy
3)added a small fan to the back plate
4)added a vacumn cleaner strength fan to the sink.
5 added and exhaust fan to the PCI slots next to the card for additional venting
Right now the room is 72F, case temp an alleged 33C and the core 51C typing this.
Case has 2 80mm fans blowing in and 2 80mm blowing out and no CP U heat in the case due to H2O cooling

Sorry, you cant just glue a few pins on the stock heatsink and get better temps, most def not the "best possible" temps or whatever. Placement of the pins matters, and them having such a tiny point of contact makes it fairly useless. Even soldering the pins in isnt going to compare to a cast / machined heatsink. Reguardless just look at some pin-designed heatsinks. Unless you literally added 50+ decent sized pins you'd probably barely notice a difference.

Also don't forget that simply adding surface area doesnt always mean better cooling. If the additional surface isnt in a place where REAL heat is produced it wont cool anything.

I'm sure pictures would help explain more-so as to why your temps arent as good as his.

edit: Btw ambient temp has alot to do with it too. In winter months I would idle around 40-41C and now its around 43-44C on my 6600GT, stock cooling.

Back