• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lesson Learned: Don't tighten waterblock too tight

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bageland2000

Well I finally found out why my PC stopped working. Bent pins. I tightened my CPU waterblock too tight. Learn from me don't do it. Bent pins can be seen in the picture (it's on the blurrier bottom, but they're clearly bent.)

I guess I need to buy a new board. Has anyone worked with Gigabyte RMA before? Will they charge less than retail for a replacement? Should I just scrap the board and buy a new one? Thanks....

id go ahead and buy a new one their rma was terrible for me on my old gfx card. took 2 weeks and it still came back broken

Bent pins are not covered under warranty. They may charge you a fee to repair/replace the board. How much is unknown until you contact their support.

I have no idea how could it happen by tightening waterblock as plastic frame is protecting pins from too high pressure. Did your CPU PCB bent because of waterblock pressure ? ... it actually also shouldn't happen unless you delidded your CPU.

Depends from country , Gigabyte support will fix or or not but if it's clearly user's fault then if they accept to fix it then you will have to pay for that as Nebulous already said.
If socket is damaged then they will replace all socket, no one will try to replace pins for sure.
If pins are overheated ( like different pin color ) or have bad contact ( like issues with RAM ) then at least ASUS support is replacing sockets.

I have no idea how could it happen by tightening waterblock as plastic frame is protecting pins from too high pressure. Did your CPU PCB bent because of waterblock pressure ? ... it actually also shouldn't happen unless you delidded your CPU.

That's weird. I haven't delidded. You're right now that I think about it too. I have no idea how the pins bent then, but I still have a feeling it had something to do with the waterblock....

If you like the board I would call Gigabyte and see about setting up an RMA, getting the socket replaced will be cheaper than a new board I want to say they charge about $40.

Back