• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Linux to use on an old HP vectra vl for video hosting?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hello all and thanks in advance for any help you can give me. I'm an old hand at winblows but I recently came across two old Hp Vectra VL 6/233 machines for a buck each and would like to use them for serving up video files. I'm a member of a racing team. we have a web page up at http://groups.msn.com/TheRideHardRacingNewsCenter. I had set up a video page using a link to singlereel.com but they shut down. What distro and such do you recommend for me to use? the specs for everything will be as follows...
hp vectra vl 6/233 (233 P2 oc'd to 333), 64M ram, Approx 18 gig hard drive, 24x cd-rom, 10/100 nic
I have dsl at 256/256 and a router
this machine will sit in my back room and serve up WMV videos of our race cars and events to our web page at MSN. I know divx is better but WMV is easy and quick for me to use. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

That should hold Linux pretty well.....

I'm guessing you want an HTTP server? Or a FTP one?

well the old lady got the other box they had so I'll have 64 meg of ram , two 4.3 gig drives my 10 gig and two cd-roms. Now I just need suggestions for the best version(distro) to use. and suggestions for serving the files would be great. Thanks to anybody who answers.

Back