• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

little help with my obsidian 800d build please..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PackRat2112

Registered
Hi Everyone,
been lurkin' for awhile here and finally getting around to building a new 'puter.

but i have a question about cooling this thing.

here's what i've managed to gather....so-far...

ASUS P6T7 WS Supercomputer Motherboard
Intel Core i7-920 CPU
Apogee GTZ Ci7 Waterblock
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit
EVGA 896-P3-1257-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked Edition
Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000HLFS 300GB 10000 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
CORSAIR TX Series CMPSU-950TX Power supply
ASUS Black SATA 24X DVD Burners (Two)
Swiftech MCP355 12 VDC Water Pump
Corsair Obsidian Series 800D Black Full Tower Computer Case

on the side there's a Zalman reserator to be used as a resevoir.
(if possible)

The Reserator is a left over from a previous build, and i figure that it might be a good idea to use it since it's here.

but what i'm trying to do (if possible), is to put a 3X120mm radiator along with 3 120mm fans, in the top of this case. not sure if it's posible. but if so doe anyone have any suggestions?

i was looking at the Swiftech MCR320-QP Quiet Power radiator that newegg has for cheap (customer reviews are good), but they out of stock 'til mid july.

any suggestions would be great.

thanks pr2112.

hey checkeredhat09,

thanks for the link. it's really got me thinking that what i wanted to do with this case/comp is going to work out just fine.

the thread that you provided showed the 3x120 rad installed (and it looked very tasty):thup:, but i'm still not sure if the 3 120mm fans will fit underneath the radiator. opinions????:eh?:

and i'm wondering if using the zalman reserator is a good idea or not.
if not, i'll toss it, as one of the 3/8 barbs snapped off. easy fix though!:rolleyes:

man i would really like this to work out.

all input will of course be appreciated!:)

oh, and thanks for the :welcome:!

I'd toss the Zalman. It's good for less than 100 watts of cooling and it's aluminum. You might want to find BobbyBubblehead here and talk to him......................

You can VERY easily fit a 120x3 up top and with some modz skillz fit a 120x2 on the bottom. You really should be asking this in the watercooling forum.

ok, thanks conumdrum. true be known, when i originally started this thread, ithought i was posting there..... oops.

not sure what the protocal for an "off topic" post is here..

should i just restart a thread in watercooling? or can a moderater move this thread there?

thanks for your patience,
pr2112.

Hey no worries, PM a mod and it will be moved. It happens.

I'll do it, I know whos around these days.

In the WC forum there is one almost done 800D case and another just got his parts. Good stuff.

"Hey no worries, PM a mod and it will be moved. It happens.

I'll do it, I know whos around these days."

thanks,

i'd appreciate that.:thup:

oh and i got an email from newegg today saying that the Swiftech MCR320 radiator that i wanted is now in stock...... it's now on the way here!!!:burn:

see-ya in water cooling!

peace,
pr2112.

Thread moved per request.

You've made a wise choice as far as the radiator goes. It will out-cool the Zalman and not introduce Al into your otherwise nice loop. :)

The link provided above was to my current build. This case has been very easy to work with. I have an XSPC 360 rad on top and three 120mm fans fit on it easily. I also have equipped it with an XSPC 240 rad on the bottom. I decided to run dual loop because I will be overclocking and want the heat from the cpu and motherboard blocks separate from the video cards.

Bro, the case was MADE for a 3x120 rad and fans at the top....dont worry about that! Nice setup you have there! A little curious on the GPU choice, even for SLI, but.....thats just me.

Looking forward to seeing it done!

Last edited:
also remember to ditch the TT flow meter with that Zalman, they are the worst names in water cooling. as the owner of several swiftech rads, you won't be disappointed! great price for great performance. just need the space.

Back