• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LN2 Issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yup too cold :D

Gautam has good advice, try to keep the rig under some kind of load, that will minimize problems with the board. As soon as the caps freeze over Vcore will go wild and you have to quit, that won't happen in most cases if you keep the rig loaded most of the time and not too cold. Most chips won't need anything under -140 to rock anyway so explore the -120 to -130 ranges before going colder.

This also applies to the cards which may bug under -100 or even warmer. It's actually more important to keep the card loaded so the PCIe slot doesn't freeze over ending your session, it happens alot faster on a card than the mobo. Be sure to grease the PCIe slot btw, thats something you can't forget.

TY everyone for the great advice.

These are my dewars. Not pictures of MY dewars, but they are both MVE Cryogenic Dewars Model AL-30, and this is a pic of that model, and this is what my dewars look like.

I cant find the volume of these dewars though....I assume that model AL-30 means 30Liters?

Also, speaking of LN2 on GPUs, I have not read about greasing the PCIe slot. How do I accomplish that?

What do I need to do regarding starting up with my GPU when Im benching it with LN2? Dry pot to start as well? Boot to windows...Light OC then mild LN2 then start to add more OC and more LN2 incrementally?

Attachments

• 22714.jpg
    22714.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 294
Looks like 30 litres.

On the cards here's what I do. Because they are usually running high volts you need to have them somewhat cold maybe -30 to -40 idle and drop the temperature going into a bench. -80 will suffice in most cases loaded. I don't ever run a volt modded card on a dry contanier, that would be risky imo. Most GTX's for instance will run 900MHz @ -45 with the proper voltage. ATI is a little different, I have yet to freeze my 2900's :rolleyes: but I think they will need more cooling because they run soo damn hot. You just have to test things with your hardware. Btw one idea you may want to consider. In order to maximize your benching success you might want to bench the card on LN2 with the CPU on air/H2O, that way you know exactly how cold, how much VGPU and the clocks it will run. If you try and figure this out at the same time your figuring out how to run the processor chances are you'll wish you'd done it seperately ;)

After tonights lack of success I would have to say I agree with you.

Ill probobly do LN2 on the CPU tomorrow night with one of my basic GPUs on stock cooling.

Next night if my card is dry Ill do 8800GTX on LN2 with cpu on air.

After I get the hang of each individually THEN Ill go for a 2 pot session.

I think that is a MUCH better plan. Im glad my card was still sticky tonight in hindsight.

Also, where can I read about greasing a PCIe slot? I havnt read that before. Di-electric grease? Any suggestions on where to obtain? How much to apply and where?

Thanks again :D

Aint it great having a new guy around to badger you guys nonstop for all of this info :D

you can get dielectric grease at any auto parts store, it's what gets put on spark plugs ;) and as far as applying, just put a layer across the finger of the card on both sides and slide it into the pci-e slot, to bad about the condensation, I'm sure I'll be the same on my first ln2 run :p

IMHO...a light coating of vaseline on the top of the slot for your first few times. Dielectric grease costs too much.

I don't use any sort of grease at all with video cards. The Tek9 3.0's seem to have no condensation issues at all.

IMHO...a light coating of vaseline on the top of the slot for your first few times. Dielectric grease costs too much.

I don't use any sort of grease at all with video cards. The Tek9 3.0's seem to have no condensation issues at all.

have you done LN2 on anything other than the "cards from HELL" (2900XT) ?

id assume any card that puts out less heat than those might run into problems ;)

my contest card with just D-ice:

pict02406xp.jpg

agreed this is more of an insulation screw-up (didnt insulate down far enough to come in contact with the PCI-E socket) but still.

Hmmm....you guys insulate the whole card back and front?

I was NOT planning on that much insulation.

I was going to only insulate around the core (and the pot as well obviously :p) as Kingpin shows in his sticky at XS.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=124713

Do you guys recommend insulating the whole card both sides? Ive sprayed it heavily with a silicone spray (Fine-L-Kote SR) and am awaiting it to dry.

I see you also are insulating the motherboard around the PCI slot. Good idea :)

Once again, the key is keeping the card loaded. The 7600GS that JC posted up obviously has a very tiny load. (That's why I killed 3 of them running on DI, never even got two of them to POST :D)

The 8800 should be okay. kp never uses any grease...but from what he's told me, if he sits idle for too long, he does get frost on the fingers as shown in JC's pic. For your first few times consequently you should put some grease in the slot, but other than that his insulation guide works wonders. That's exactly the insulation method he uses, and no one has benched the 8800's more than he has.

A GTX will freeze over pretty quickly if it's not loaded, I'd grease it, just a small bead on the slot. Make sure the SMD's nearest the slot are covered also if you didn't get them with the silicone spray. If the card is coated properly you don't need any insulation on the back of the card.

I sprayed the ENTIRE card back and front with the silicone spray.

Covered the core, the PCIe connectors, power connectors, etc..... but ALL resistors/SMDs and PCB areas are covered, and covered WELL.

A GTX will freeze over pretty quickly if it's not loaded, I'd grease it, just a small bead on the slot. Make sure the SMD's nearest the slot are covered also if you didn't get them with the silicone spray. If the card is coated properly you don't need any insulation on the back of the card.

so you just let it frost up and then remove it from the mobo when done and let the frost melt off?

like THIS

Allritey......

Just finished up my LN2 session for the evening.

All-in-all it went very very well. NO repeats of last night. All the hardware was in fine working order. I had NO coldbug, and in retrospect and with tonights testings in mind, I can say with absolute certainty that I coldbugged/coldbooted whatever you would like to call it yesterday.

In summary, I spent the entire night on LN2 (4 hours tonight). Overclocked a great amount, and if I wasnt allready OCing a chip that I beat to death on dice previously, would likely have some very very good screenies. Unfortunately, I was unable to gain any additional fsb or speed with LN2 as compared to dice.

Question: Is this possible that the chip maxed out at whatever -75C on dice could do for it? Or....is this more just a need for me to learn/experiment more with this chip on LN2?

In more detail, I did a fair amount of testing and kept some decent notes to look back on and try to figure out the sweet spot of this chip. Please tell me if my assessment is correct or off base.

Dry pot BIOS boot 31C. After 3-4 mins 36C. Not great but not that bad and I wasnt about to remount so I dropped the LN2 in until abou -60C. Booted into windows at 9X450 with no issues at highish volts. At around 85ishC I went to 542 FSB X 9 but didnt screenie since I have almost exactly 542 on dice allready. Jumped to 545 and froze (possible reboot too notes dont say).

Increase Vcore nd Vmch a tad. Posted ok at -92 but a bit slowish/choppy. Booted into windows at 475X9 again at -62C no probs. SetFSB froze when applying 540FSB at -95C but there was no reboot.

Increase Vcore and Vmch again. Booted at 450 X 9 this time. Got 542 FSB again at -90C but when applied 545 FSB at -89C computer froze with no reboot.

Maxed out all volts (just like I did with my best OCs with this chip on dice).

Boots from now on are 475 X 9 and went without any issues every time at anywhere from -60C to -90C.

SetFSB froze applying 540FSB at -105C. .Tried colder here but didnt pan out.

Thought I was able to get the 545FSB screenie at -91C, but I guess it froze a millisecond before I got to save it :( Was able to successfully apply 545 FSB at -91C though!

SetFSB froze at 530FSB at -92C with the pot getting colder

SetFSB froze at applying 525 FSB at -112C

Windows froze without any provocation at -125C, and I did not go near -125C or colder than -125C again tonight.

So......from my assessment it appear that additional cooling over dice offered me nothing for this chip/mobo combination. Sweet spot appeared to be approx -85C t perhaps -91C. Said sweet spot on LN2 did not offer me any better overclocking capabilities than what I allready received on dice, seen here.

Agree or Disagree?

Thanks again guys :)

8800 GTX was dry this evening, so tomorrow night Im gonna hit up my 1st practice run 3D on 8800GTX LN2, but will switch the CPU from the Dragon Evo to my TRUE 120 to focus on learning the Tek9 pot. TRUE 120 is benchable at 4050 on my P5K premium, so actually I may get 4100 or 4150 perhaps on the Mars even. Not all that far off from what I would likely get on dice/LN2 anyhow actually unless someone sees a flaw in my logic or technique.

:D

Last edited:
I would try less vcore for starters, around 1.7V. It does appear that your chip bugs @ -125 on this board. I know increasing CPU Reference pushed the coldbug lower on my 3070 by quite a bit, might be worth trying out on this setup. If you didn't lower PL to say 12 or 13 before using SetFSB, you should try again. There is a good chance however that better cooling won't do alot on this chip, it may be FSB limited.

Good work doc, a few more sessions like this and you'll have a much better feel for things :beer:

so you just let it frost up and then remove it from the mobo when done and let the frost melt off?

like THIS

Yup, I took this pic 20min ago. You gotta try this stuff, it gives you peace of mind as well as more space between the cards. This is just DI @ 1.413V around 1050MHz core.

no_insulation.jpg

Less Vcore huh? From my limited knowledge it seems counterintutive but Ill give it a try and see what happens :)

CPU Reference.....what is that?

Lower the PL? Are you speaking of performance level again on memset, or PLL volts?

I hardly touched memset tonight. That screenie is from my dice session the other night. I just showed it as my highest CPU OC which happened to occur on dice.

Since I was working ONLY CPU-Z and CPU OC tonight, I didnt touch the ram. I set it at stock timings (5-5-4-12 for the ram I was working with tonight) and lowest mhz allowed.

Should I be messing with memset when exclusively working on max CPU-Z shots?

Good work mate, sounds like a fsb wall to me as well.

When you find CPU Reference in your bios (should be set at 67%) after you try 70% make sure you try the other way as well..ie: 65%

@ Mark, hardcore picture mate :eek:

great work dawgdoc, from the sounds of it your slowing down and becoming more systematic with your OCing.

as others have said dont be afraid to try lower volts as well as higher

good luck with the GPU :D

PS can U post just a thumbnail of that screenie...

Maxi: :eek:

ill be sure to add just a little insulation between the 4x bolts but can skip the "whole card" insulation

Back