• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Look at all the shiny copper!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Looking good... they could clean up really nicely... but it would still be great to see a pic of them all set up. That radiator looks really interesting...

These are clean, hence the title of the thread. I'm not going to spend hours on each block. Most of them got the wire wheel and that was it. It's just not worth the extra work. Actually, they do look nicer in person than in the photos. For example, in the radiator pic, on the far right side of the big tube, there's a really nice looking spot where the flash reflected, but the middle almost looks black. The entire tube is that nice copper color, 600 grit, with a few coats of clear enamel.

And if you're gawking at the brazed joints... they are joints that will never, ever leak, and won't come apart no matter how hard you pull... and personally, I don't think they look bad... of course the camera seems to magnify any undesirable characteristics...

squeakygeek said:
I'd like to see an example of your work... and of course they look industrial... did you expect farm-grown waterblocks?

Ohyea man!! its gotta be a mirror finish out of the shop! l00ks are everything =P

ACtually looks gopod to me :) If its external, you'll eventually wanna make it look nice and show it off ;) I wish I had the tools to do that kinda stuff, I would so be making me something :( Too much freetime, and still gonna be too long til I get a start on my setup :mad:

dippy_skoodlez said:
Ohyea man!! its gotta be a mirror finish out of the shop! l00ks are everything =P

ACtually looks gopod to me :) If its external, you'll eventually wanna make it look nice and show it off ;) I wish I had the tools to do that kinda stuff, I would so be making me something :( Too much freetime, and still gonna be too long til I get a start on my setup :mad:

What's he think? That waterblocks should look like something that sprouted out of the ground? :p

squeakygeek said:
I'd like to see an example of your work... and of course they look industrial... did you expect farm-grown waterblocks?

Not to be rude or anything, but if you posted your work on here, you are going to get positive and negative feedback. This is not on a "Then let me see you do better" scale. If that was the case we would have movie directors telling every person who said their movie sucked to make one better.

That aside...

Do you think you will paint those anytime soon? I think part of the visual "ugliness" simply has to do with the black coloration on the copper. If you were to paint it black or add a copper tone to it, it would look 10x better and you wouldn't have to spend so many hours to make it more visually appealing.

Cerberus2k7 said:
Not to be rude or anything, but if you posted your work on here, you are going to get positive and negative feedback. This is not on a "Then let me see you do better" scale. If that was the case we would have movie directors telling every person who said their movie sucked to make one better.

That aside...

Do you think you will paint those anytime soon? I think part of the visual "ugliness" simply has to do with the black coloration on the copper. If you were to paint it black or add a copper tone to it, it would look 10x better and you wouldn't have to spend so many hours to make it more visually appealing.

That's true, and I have no problem with criticism. While I don't consider it necessary, constructive criticism is preferred, but additionally, his wording is definately flamebait.

That aside, I sprayed them all with a clear enamel. There really isn't much of that black discoloration left, and alot of it won't be visible when mounted. As I said earlier, the big tube doesn't look good in the picture, but the entire tube is actually that nice copper color that you see in the flash on the right end of it. I would definately not paint them a solid color!

If I were to publicly post an item I was proud of, I would at least make them presentable. Otherwise it just shows your work is sloppy.

If I presented the same items and received negative feedback on their esthetics I would agree that they are not the greatest looking and that there are a number of option being considered to improve them visually.

Bad_CEKTOP said:
If I were to publicly post an item I was proud of, I would at least make them presentable. Otherwise it just shows your work is sloppy.

If I presented the same items and received negative feedback on their esthetics I would agree that they are not the greatest looking and that there are a number of option being considered to improve them visually.

Give him a break, this isn't criticism, and I think this thread should get back on track.

Where do you plan to get the necessary springs to mount these blocks?

sandman001 said:
Give him a break, this isn't criticism, and I think this thread should get back on track.

Where do you plan to get the necessary springs to mount these blocks?

I'm not sure. I saw some springs at Menards that look like they might work, but I'm not sure. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

frodoski said:
I too, am interested in what the method of mounting will be. The most difficult mounting will probably be the block for the MOSFETS on the motherboard.

The memory blocks will be clamped together with the memory module in-between. The cpu will probably use springs. The NB will probably just be bolted, as my NB doesn't have an exposed core, just plastic. That MOSFET block is actually for the memory on my 9500 pro, on back of the card. I will use bolts/springs through the mounting holes, and on the side I will clamp combo block to memory block with the memory in-between.

Very interesting project! :cool: I would like to see the final result too.
BTW: How exactly does that rad work? I can't really tell from the picture but it does look very interesting no doubt.

Back